Kurt Sanderling(1912-2011): RIP

Started by Dundonnell, September 19, 2011, 12:29:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dundonnell

The great German conductor Kurt Sanderling has died at the advanced age of 98(in fact only two days before what would have been his 99th birthday).

Sanderling was one of the greatest but also one of the least well known of the German conductors of his generation. He was dismissed from his position as assistant conductor at the Berlin Staatsoper in 1933 and three years later moved to live and work in the USSR. He might instead have gone to work in the USA-he had offers from the Met in New York and from Rodzinski at the Cleveland Orchestra- but could not obtain an American immigration visa.

In Russia he worked first with the Moscow Radio Orchestra and then, from 1941, with the Leningrad Philharmonic. Although he mainly concentrated on the German repertoire in Leningrad he also conducted with great distinction the music of composers like Prokofiev and Shostakovich.

In 1960 he returned to East Germany and took over the Berlin Symphony Orchestra(until 1977) and conducted the Dresden Staatskapelle(1964-67). It was only really from the 1980s onwards that he became better known in the west, making a tremendous impression in London with his Beethoven and Brahms. He was offered but turned down the Los Angeles Philharmonic.

Sanderling retired in 2002, refusing to conduct a Berlin Philharmonic tribute organized by Simon Rattle. Two of his sons-Thomas and Stefan-are noted conductors and another, Michael, is a cellist.

Sanderling was probably the last real link with that fantastic generation of great German/Austrian conductors which included Furtwangler, Klemperer, Walter in the sense that he studied in Berlin when these giants were conducting in that city. His performances and recordings demonstrate what a magnificent conductor he was.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/obituaries/culture-obituaries/music-obituaries/8775201/Kurt-Sanderling.html

Mirror Image

One of the great conductors for sure. In his memory, I think I'll listen to either one of his Shostakovich or Sibelius performances tonight.

Cato

Stefan Sanderling is here in Ohio as conductor of the Toledo Symphony Orchestra:

See

http://www.toledosymphony.com/meet/conductors.html
"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

Mn Dave

madaboutmahler

What a great conductor. I really love his performances of Beethoven, Brahms, Shostakovich, Sibelius, Mahler etc.

RIP
"Music is ... A higher revelation than all Wisdom & Philosophy"
— Ludwig van Beethoven

not edward

Another of the giants gone.

I'm not surprised to see people mentioning the Shostakovich 15th at this point in time. His Cleveland recording of the piece is a truly remarkable achievement in my view; so far from the mainstream interpretation and incredibly effective.
"I don't at all mind actively disliking a piece of contemporary music, but in order to feel happy about it I must consciously understand why I dislike it. Otherwise it remains in my mind as unfinished business."
-- Aaron Copland, The Pleasures of Music

jwinter

RIP indeed.  Added to the listening pile for this evening...

The man that hath no music in himself,
Nor is not moved with concord of sweet sounds,
Is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils.
The motions of his spirit are dull as night,
And his affections dark as Erebus.
Let no such man be trusted.

-- William Shakespeare, The Merchant of Venice

Lisztianwagner

It's terrible  :( I agree, he was a very brilliant conductor, he made many great recordings! I especially like his performances of Beethoven, Dvořák, Mahler and Sibelius.
We won't forget you Maestro  :)

Ilaria
"You cannot expect the Form before the Idea, for they will come into being together." - Arnold Schönberg

Tapio Dimitriyevich Shostakovich

Ooooh, i completely missed that information - I thought he was still alive.

Well he was my favourite Shostakovich conductor. I prefer all Symphonies which we can have on CD of him. As for the 15th, I prefer the Berliner over Cleveland. In case of the 8th, Petrenko is en par.

Mirror Image

Sanderling no doubt left behind a beautiful legacy, but thankfully he is carried on through the conducting of his sons: Thomas, Michael, and Stefan.

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Tapio Dimitriyevich Shostakovich on September 26, 2012, 10:59:04 PM
Ooooh, i completely missed that information - I thought he was still alive.

Well he was my favourite Shostakovich conductor. I prefer all Symphonies which we can have on CD of him. As for the 15th, I prefer the Berliner over Cleveland. In case of the 8th, Petrenko is en par.

A pity we don't have a Fourth or Ninth from him.

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

The new erato

My first encounter with him were the cheap Brahms symphonies on RCA, still a very good set!