What audio system do you have, or plan on getting?

Started by Bonehelm, May 24, 2007, 08:52:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DavidW

It seems like the stereo is set up for someone to roll over and knock the speakers down! :laugh:

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: DavidW on July 19, 2024, 06:25:06 AMIt seems like the stereo is set up for someone to roll over and knock the speakers down! :laugh:
And that would be an expensive knockover!

PD

p.s.  I suspect that he either has another guest room or would have the onerous task of having to move them if someone does stay over.

Valentino

The first guests expected are my parents. :)
These are small speakers, easily stored elsewhere. It's a pity I cannot test them in the living room though. They'd probably sound just fine there apart from those missing bottom two octaves.
They are not easy to topple. Those stands are heavy and the speakers are bolted to them.
We audiophiles don't really like music, but we sure love the sound it makes;
Audio-Technica | Bokrand | Thorens | Cambridge Audio | Logitech | Yamaha | Topping | MiniDSP | Hypex | ICEpower | Mundorf | SEAS | Beyma

Harry

Bought second hand, (Kii Three + Kii Control + Stands, Satin Graphite Metallic) these wonderful beauties. They sound absolutely devastating. Matching stands, and in pristine condition. These speakers cost normally around 16.000,- euros. I got them for less than half of the price.
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

AnotherSpin

Quote from: Harry on July 20, 2024, 02:30:04 AMBought second hand, (Kii Three + Kii Control + Stands, Satin Graphite Metallic) these wonderful beauties. They sound absolutely devastating. Matching stands, and in pristine condition. These speakers cost normally around 16.000,- euros. I got them for less than half of the price.

This equipment has a fabulous reputation. Good for you!

Harry

Quote from: AnotherSpin on July 20, 2024, 03:09:16 AMThis equipment has a fabulous reputation. Good for you!

They are playing now, and I am amazed how deep the basses go, very clean sound too, and it does not matter were you place them, they even sound good in the bathroom ;D

AnotherSpin

Quote from: Harry on July 20, 2024, 03:12:10 AMThey are playing now, and I am amazed how deep the basses go, very clean sound too, and it does not matter were you place them, they even sound good in the bathroom ;D

Good sound when placed in the bathroom is a real game changer... ;D If seriously, I like the completeness of the system, no need to worry about combining brands, swapping cables, etc.

Atriod

Quote from: Harry on July 20, 2024, 02:30:04 AMBought second hand, (Kii Three + Kii Control + Stands, Satin Graphite Metallic) these wonderful beauties. They sound absolutely devastating. Matching stands, and in pristine condition. These speakers cost normally around 16.000,- euros. I got them for less than half of the price.

Are these replacing the speakers in your main system? For shared spaces these or Blade 1 or 2 Meta (old post) are what I'm considering. The Kii 3 are among the best speakers I've heard.

Harry

Quote from: Atriod on July 21, 2024, 04:55:37 AMAre these replacing the speakers in your main system? For shared spaces these or Blade 1 or 2 Meta (old post) are what I'm considering. The Kii 3 are among the best speakers I've heard.

No, they are for my office, so secondary system, but they sound really fabulous, even in a smaller space,

DavidW

Quote from: Atriod on July 21, 2024, 04:55:37 AMAre these replacing the speakers in your main system? For shared spaces these or Blade 1 or 2 Meta (old post) are what I'm considering. The Kii 3 are among the best speakers I've heard.

Erin's Audio Corner posted a glowing review of the Blade 2 Meta:

Atriod

Quote from: DavidW on August 13, 2024, 04:45:12 AMErin's Audio Corner posted a glowing review of the Blade 2 Meta:

I liked the Blades before these stupid science bitches (Flowers For Charlie reference in case anyone takes this literally)

Irons

After faultless service my 300B valve/tube amp popped. Valves remain working so hopefully they are not the fault. However, something has failed as music no more! Fortunately an electronics engineer a ten minute drive, I dropped my amp off to Henry yesterday.
I have back up of a Leak Stereo 20 circa late 1950's early 1960's, purchased 20 odd years ago. I had a few modifications (Henry again) and hid the Leak away and forgot about it.

With some trepidation I powered it up - after removing a covering of dust. Valves glowed, so good start. Next, some music! I am aware that listening to Hi-Fi components, different can be mistaken for better. Even so the Leak sounds bloody good! I'm not saying superior then my much more expensive Border Control 300B but admit the thought crossed my mind, which with some difficulty I'm trying to banish. :o   
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Valentino

What speakers do you use, @Irons? Very pretty but low powered and high output impedance both of these amps I believe.

I'm very intrigued by the functionality and specs of the new WiiM Ultra streamer-preamplifier. It will most probably replace both the Yamaha WXC-50 and Squeezebox Touch in my main setup.

Audio-Technica | Bokrand | Thorens | Cambridge Audio | Logitech | Yamaha | Topping | MiniDSP | Hypex | ICEpower | Mundorf | SEAS | Beyma

AnotherSpin

Quote from: Irons on September 19, 2024, 11:54:28 PMAfter faultless service my 300B valve/tube amp popped. Valves remain working so hopefully they are not the fault. However, something has failed as music no more! Fortunately an electronics engineer a ten minute drive, I dropped my amp off to Henry yesterday.
I have back up of a Leak Stereo 20 circa late 1950's early 1960's, purchased 20 odd years ago. I had a few modifications (Henry again) and hid the Leak away and forgot about it.

With some trepidation I powered it up - after removing a covering of dust. Valves glowed, so good start. Next, some music! I am aware that listening to Hi-Fi components, different can be mistaken for better. Even so the Leak sounds bloody good! I'm not saying superior then my much more expensive Border Control 300B but admit the thought crossed my mind, which with some difficulty I'm trying to banish. :o   

In the days when I used tube equipment, I was often amazed at how simple it was to repair when needed. Or how replacing the tubes would change/improve the sound. I hope the repair of your amplifier goes well!

Irons

Quote from: Valentino on September 20, 2024, 12:40:50 AMWhat speakers do you use, @Irons? Very pretty but low powered and high output impedance both of these amps I believe.

I'm very intrigued by the functionality and specs of the new WiiM Ultra streamer-preamplifier. It will most probably replace both the Yamaha WXC-50 and Squeezebox Touch in my main setup.

Tannoy Berkeley. Big duel-concentric and as you say an easy load. The single ended Border Patrol 300B amps are flea-powered at barely 8 watts per channel but this is compensated by a massive choke regulated power supply in a separate (heavy) box. The Leak at 10 watts per channel sans power supply yet sounds more powerful. Only listened to a couple of sessions with Leak but impressed that such an old amp can sound so modern. The one downside being stereo spread has diminished compared with BP. Hiss and other unwanted noise absent in both. 
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: Irons on September 19, 2024, 11:54:28 PMAfter faultless service my 300B valve/tube amp popped. Valves remain working so hopefully they are not the fault. However, something has failed as music no more! Fortunately an electronics engineer a ten minute drive, I dropped my amp off to Henry yesterday.

The amp looks gorgeous! Plus the cables look interesting.
Do you have any pic of your 300B? Also any close pics of these tubes?

Irons

Quote from: Dry Brett Kavanaugh on September 20, 2024, 08:27:25 AMThe amp looks gorgeous! Plus the cables look interesting.
Do you have any pic of your 300B? Also any close pics of these tubes?

The Leak is decked out with EL84(4) EC83(3) and GZ34 rectifier. Another Spin makes the point that tubes change sound - they do. Through luck rather then judgment, I fitted Amperex "Bugle Boy" EL84s. A noticeable improvement in sound and without tempting fate possess longevity. I'm very taken with them.

Border Patrol (unable to post picture as being repaired) is a completely different animal being single ended unlike the push-pull Leak. This amplifier is built around two Western Electric 300B valves. I have the same WE tubes from new and to replace would be near impossible as not sure if they are still in production and cost would be prohibitive anyway. This did worry me even with alternatives available. I looked up the projected life-span of a WE which up to a point put my concerns to rest.  

71 dB

I use 3 meters (10 feet) long DIY extension cable for my headphones. No matter how well I try to solder the cable to the female 6.3mm jack, eventually the stress of moving the cable around when moving causes damage leading to signal problems. One of the 6.3mm jacks I used was so bad in quality the tip of it came off! I have been fixing the cable and I hope it will work fine for a while, but this extension cable is one of the biggest problems in my system. Fortunately the male jack in the other end connected to my DIY headphone adapter/crossfeeder doesn't have problems, because it doesn't move around!

Also, the mini-XLR connector in my DIY headphone adapter/crossfeeder connecting it to my amp is also extremely dissappointing it wasn't cheap at all and has been very unreliable. Finding reliable connectors and jacks is surprisingly challenging.  ???
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

Valentino

I normally solve such problems with Neutrik plugs.

71 dB

Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"