Shura Cherkassky

Started by Mandryka, August 05, 2010, 08:50:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mandryka

Quote from: ccar on August 10, 2010, 08:50:08 AM
The Chopin and Schumann were all included in the live Decca/BBC CD edition. Some are difficult to get nowadays.
The Beethoven op.111 was a real loss - a World Record/Imperial LP which (AFAIK) was never issued in CD.

Here it is

http://rapidshare.com/files/233282745/cherkassky_beethoven_mp3.zip

Someone digitised it and uploaded it on rmcr a whie ago.

If you can't download it, or the file is broken, then PM me and I'll mail you a CD-R.

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Drasko

Quote from: Mandryka on August 10, 2010, 12:57:59 PM
Here it is

If you can't download it, or the file is no longer at rapidshare, then PM me and I'll mail you a CD-R.

Off topic but would you know if LP transfers of Antonio Barbosa's Chopin Scherzi are available anywhere? From Connoisseur Society LP.

George

Here it is

If you can't download it, or the file is no longer at rapidshare, then PM me and I'll mail you a CD-R.

Thanks!  :)

Mandryka

Quote from: Drasko on August 10, 2010, 01:04:58 PM
Off topic but would you know if LP transfers of Antonio Barbosa's Chopin Scherzi are available anywhere? From Connoisseur Society LP.

Here you are

http://www.vinylrevolution.com/album_B815209/Barbosa_Antonio/Chopin:the4scherzi_Chopinliszt_Quad.htm

ccar

Here it is

If you can't download it, or the file is broken, then PM me and I'll mail you a CD-R.

Thank you Mandrika!!
I'll try to download it. I'm very curious to listen to SC in the 111.

Carlos 

Verena

QuoteHere you are

http://www.vinylrevolution.com/album_B815209/Barbosa_Antonio/Chopin:the4scherzi_Chopinliszt_Quad.htm

Thanks, Mandryka. Have you or anyone else ever bought something from them and can comment on the quality of the transfers?
Thanks.
Don't think, but look! (PI66)

Mandryka

Quote from: Verena on August 11, 2010, 03:09:19 AM
Thanks, Mandryka. Have you or anyone else ever bought something from them and can comment on the quality of the transfers?
Thanks.

I bought Anthony DiBonaventura's Scarlatti.

Payed through Paypal.

Disc took about 3 weeks to arrive. Rather disconcertingly they didn't acknowledge receipt of the order. I made paypal chase them and then they confirmed receipt and gave me an ETA.

Clean surfaces. Declicked. Distortion in the upper registers at higher volumes. Hard to tell whether that's a problem with the transfer or the source. Generally the piano tone is quite realistic.

Verena

QuoteI bought Anthony DiBonaventura's Scarlatti.

Payed through Paypal.

Disc took about 3 weeks to arrive. Rather disconcertingly they didn't acknowledge receipt of the order. I made paypal chase them and then they confirmed receipt and gave me an ETA.

Clean surfaces. Declicked. Distortion in the upper registers at higher volumes. Hard to tell whether that's a problem with the transfer or the source. Generally the piano tone is quite realistic.

Thanks very much for the information!
Don't think, but look! (PI66)

mjwal

Thanks so much for that Cherkassky/Op.111 link, Mandryka - hey presto! I look at a lot of blogs on & off, but I hadn't seen that on offer before. What's your impression of it? I haven't listened yet.
The Violin's Obstinacy

It needs to return to this one note,
not a tune and not a key
but the sound of self it must depart from,
a journey lengthily to go
in a vein it knows will cripple it.
Peter Porter

Mandryka

Quote from: mjwal on August 12, 2010, 09:02:52 AM
Thanks so much for that Cherkassky/Op.111 link, Mandryka - hey presto! I look at a lot of blogs on & off, but I hadn't seen that on offer before. What's your impression of it? I haven't listened yet.

I played the arietta once . I thought that the theme was very beautiful tonally -- but I must say it didn't register as a special performance apart from that.

This CD is special though -- just total pleasure from start to end.

The music -- well I never appreciated how much fun this sort of thing can be: Godowsky/Albeniz, Sindling, Moszkowsky, Paderewski, Rebikov . .

Drasko

Is there a live Kreisleriana from Cherkassky?

George

Quote from: Drasko on September 14, 2010, 11:20:06 AM

I have a few live CDs of his and will check when I get home. If I forget, PM me.

ccar

Quote from: Drasko on September 14, 2010, 11:20:06 AM
I believe there is only the studio one - June 1984 (?) - Nimbus or Philips GPOC

George

Quote from: George on September 14, 2010, 11:50:25 AM
I have a few live CDs of his and will check when I get home. If I forget, PM me.

Nope. Not on the three live Cherkassky CDs that I have.

Drasko

Quote from: ccar on September 16, 2010, 12:15:01 PM
I believe there is only the studio one - June 1984 (?) - Nimbus or Philips GPOC

Yes, it seems that's the only one (May/June 1985), thanks.

George

Picked up this CD dirt cheap yesterday and put on the Liszt track first - Funerailles. Man, was it good. I was transfixed from the very first note. Lovely playing and great sound. I had read some warnings about "late Cherkassky" (is this "late Cherkassky?), but took a chance and I am glad I did. However, the Beethoven that followed was limp and not to my taste at all (op. 27/1.) This morning I am enjoying the Bach/Busoni Chaconne a lot, though. The more I hear this pianist, the more I like him.
"It is a curious fact that people are never so trivial as when they take themselves seriously." –Oscar Wilde

Mandryka

Quote from: George on August 06, 2011, 04:17:12 AM

Picked up this CD dirt cheap yesterday and put on the Liszt track first - Funerailles. Man, was it good. I was transfixed from the very first note. Lovely playing and great sound. I had read some warnings about "late Cherkassky" (is this "late Cherkassky?), but took a chance and I am glad I did. However, the Beethoven that followed was limp and not to my taste at all (op. 27/1.) This morning I am enjoying the Bach/Busoni Chaconne a lot, though. The more I hear this pianist, the more I like him.

Be sure to pick up the Liszt sonata uploaded on symphonyshare

George

Quote from: Mandryka on August 06, 2011, 07:19:48 AM
Be sure to pick up the Liszt sonata uploaded on symphonyshare

OK, Thanks!
"It is a curious fact that people are never so trivial as when they take themselves seriously." –Oscar Wilde

Dancing Divertimentian

Quote from: George on August 06, 2011, 04:17:12 AM
I had read some warnings about "late Cherkassky" (is this "late Cherkassky?)...

I've had good luck with late Cherkassky (1984 is pretty late). But I by no means have much of it. There's that great Chopin third sonata I mentioned earlier on this thread - from 1985. But also his "80th" birthday recital disc from 1991 (he was actually 82 or some such) on Decca is a genuine treat, with a fabulous Schumann Symphonic Etudes.

One thing's for certain, though, by the time of that 1991 recital (he died in 1995) there's not quite the nimbleness in his playing that he had in, say, his spectacular 1970 recital disc on BBC Legends (below), where his far-reaching imagination is still fully supported by able fingers. But Cherkassky's imagination is something I've always cherished and so far I've yet to hear a clunker from him, no matter what his age.

Incidentally, one of the great discoveries I've made is the extremely high quality of Cherkassky's Schubert, although I have no idea how much of a percentage Schubert figured in his discography. But that BBC Legends disc below is graced with a pretty spectacular D.959. Stunning.

[asin]B0024RA28W[/asin]

Veit Bach-a baker who found his greatest pleasure in a little cittern which he took with him even into the mill and played while the grinding was going on. In this way he had a chance to have the rhythm drilled into him. And this was the beginning of a musical inclination in his descendants. JS Bach

Mandryka

There's a very rapt, interiorised performance of D664 on Nimbus. A studio recording from 1987.

In fact there's a more extrovert live from London in 1985, on a DECCA CD (Vol.1 of their Cherkassky edition)

Me I prefer the studio, partly because of the feeling that he's playing for himself; partly because of the concentration; partly because of a sort of melancholy which I can hear on the Nimbus which I can't hear on the DECCA.

Everyone else I know prefers the DECCA :)