[1/20/2011] The Bi-weekly Listening and Appreciation Thread: Bruckner's 8th

Started by The Diner, January 20, 2011, 10:03:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Diner

Welcome to the first Bi-weekly Listening and Appreciation thread, starring Anton Bruckner's Symphony No. 8!

Please find a copy (any copy) of this symphony, give it a good listen or three and come back here to comment and discuss in as much or as little detail as you see fit over the next couple weeks--and beyond! The point is for all of us to enjoy the same piece within the same timeframe and to revel in the qualities that make it a classic. If you'd like to read up on it and don't have a book or liner notes that will help, just google it online and you should find plenty of information. If you find a good link, feel free to post it here for everyone else. There are different versions of this symphony but hopefully that won't prove too much of a hindrance and maybe it will become part of the discussion.

That's it! Happy listening.

[The next work we will be listening to and discussing for BLA purposes will be Gaspard de la nuit: Trois poèmes pour piano d'après Aloysius Bertrand by Maurice Ravel.]

Brahmsian

Excellent idea, and you just happen to pick my favorite symphony (of any composer).  How nice of you, Dave!  :D

The Diner

Quote from: ChamberNut on January 20, 2011, 10:05:40 AM
Excellent idea, and you just happen to pick my favorite symphony (of any composer).  How nice of you, Dave!  :D

Thank John. :)

Brian

Good choice, Dave. I listened to Bruckner's Eighth just last night! I'll spin it at least twice more before posting very much, though, cuz knowing the kind of posts I write it'll be an essay.  :P

The Diner

Brahmsian

Quote from: Brian on January 20, 2011, 10:13:06 AM
Good choice, Dave. I listened to Bruckner's Eighth just last night! I'll spin it at least twice more before posting very much, though, cuz knowing the kind of posts I write it'll be an essay.  :P

I will try to not be testy for any negative criticism for this symphony, Brian.  I feel more than any other symphony, the themes flow and connect so effortlessly in this piece (and I rarely make theme connections for a lot of works).  :P

bhodges

One of my favorite classical works.  Happy to weigh in, and will look forward to others' comments as well.

--Bruce

Bill H.

This should be fun.  I've been absorbing all of the "Bruckner 9" lately.  It's been a recent stage wherein he speaks to me, whereas in earlier life stages I was concentrating elsewhere. 

Do folks still use the nickname "Apocalyptic" for this work? (I think of the opening of the finale when I hear that word)

I still have an old Haitink/CBO LP set of the Eighth somewhere, but right now I've also got Furtwangler (1944 and 1949, the latter being the taping with the hacking audience), Karajan, Boulez, and  Simone Young conducting the original version. 

mahler10th

:)
Great that this is up and running.  Well, a fortnight before us to savour and appreciate Bruckners 8th, to learn or scoff...
Oh, the opening of that fourth movement!  For some reason, in 1997, I completely filled that year with Bruckners 8th, and that same year I bought a vinyl album of Klemperer with the Philharmonia, a 1958 release I think.
One radio commentator (R3  UK) even suggested that it was coming to more prominence than Beethovens 9th, although that's stretching it a little.  Still it is mighty, not for the weak hearted, and something which is itself an enigma to relate in words.  Happy listening everyone!

MishaK

Great choice! I just acquired Kubelik's B8 on BR's new in-house label which has quickly become a new favorite. Time for some comparative listening alongside Schuricht, Boulez, Wand, Barenboim, Solti, Haitink, Furtwängler. Maybe time to finally acquire the Simone Young recording as well and give the first version a listen.

mahler10th

QuoteMensch:   Maybe time to finally acquire the Simone Young recording as well and give the first version a listen.
Mensch, if you get that Simone Young recording, please let us know.  I saw her on TV and came to respect her greatly, but have not heard anything with her at the helm!

MishaK

Quote from: John on January 20, 2011, 01:51:12 PM
Mensch, if you get that Simone Young recording, please let us know.  I saw her on TV and came to respect her greatly, but have not heard anything with her at the helm!

I have her recording of the original version of the 4th, which is superb. The Hamburg orchestra sounds teriffic under her leadership, and the whole structure of this unfamiliar and very different version flows very naturally and cogently. It's noticeable that she's a Barenboim disciple, having worked as his assistant in Berlin for a while. She has good control of long line and rich, but never unbalanced or blurry sonorities and textures. Really highly recommended. Has piqued my interest in the rest of her cycle, especially since for the most part the only other source for recordings of original Bruckner versions is Tintner, whose scrawny Scottish and Irish bands really bother me.

The Diner

Looks like I have Maazel and Karajan for this one. I'll load them both.

PaulSC

The IMSLP page is a bit disappointing, with a score of the first version and only parts for the Haas edition.

http://imslp.org/wiki/Symphony_No.8_in_C_minor,_WAB_108_(Bruckner,_Anton)

The above page also includes a link to a freely downloadable recording from Deutsche Welle. I assume the orchestra is the Deutsches Symphonie-Orchester Berlin. If the performance is recent, then the conductor may be Kent Nagano (2000-06) or Ingo Metzmacher (2007-10). Perhaps a GMGer knows or can make an educated guess?

MishaK

Quote from: PaulSC on January 20, 2011, 02:07:57 PM
The IMSLP page is a bit disappointing, with a score of the first version and only parts for the Haas edition.

http://imslp.org/wiki/Symphony_No.8_in_C_minor,_WAB_108_(Bruckner,_Anton)

The above page also includes a link to a freely downloadable recording from Deutsche Welle. I assume the orchestra is the Deutsches Symphonie-Orchester Berlin. If the performance is recent, then the conductor may be Kent Nagano (2000-06) or Ingo Metzmacher (2007-10). Perhaps a GMGer knows or can make an educated guess?

I'm not quite sure why you assume the recording is done by the Deutsche Symphonieorchester Berlin. They have no affiliation with Deutsche Welle. They are the renamed former RIAS orchestra of Ferenc Fricsay fame, which belonged to the Radio im Amerikanischen Sektor (RIAS), later renamed Sender Freies Berlin (SFB), which in 2003 merged with ORB to become Rundfunk Berlin-Brandenburg. They have nothing to do with Deutsche Welle, which is like the German equivalent of Voice of America, broadcast exclusively to listeners outside of Germany.

You may be able to solve the mystery by going to Berky's site and comparing the movement timings to the listings there.

mahler10th

QuoteThe above page also includes a link to a freely downloadable recording from Deutsche Welle. I assume the orchestra is the Deutsches Symphonie-Orchester Berlin. If the performance is recent, then the conductor may be Kent Nagano (2000-06) or Ingo Metzmacher (2007-10). Perhaps a GMGer knows or can make an educated guess?

I am playing it it Media Player and the metadata says it's Kent Nagano.  No guessing required!  :)
Actually, it is a very good recording too!

MishaK

Quote from: John on January 20, 2011, 02:31:41 PM
I am playing it it Media Player and the metadata says it's Kent Nagano.  No guessing required!  :)
Actually, it is a very good recording too!

Well, that solves the mystery then. ;)