Vaughan Williams's Veranda

Started by karlhenning, April 12, 2007, 06:03:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brahmsian

Quote from: Archaic Torso of Apollo on September 11, 2015, 09:43:01 AM
I picked up Slatkin's 3+4 the other day. On first listening, I think it's really, really good - very energetic and powerful in the 4th, and nicely flowing in the Pastoral. Excellent playing by the Philharmonia too.

His cycle gets generally good reviews, so I'm not surprised. (haven't heard any of the other installments)

I enjoy the Slatkin 3rd and 4th also, courtesy of Monkey Greg's gift.  8)

Christo

Quote from: vandermolen on September 14, 2015, 08:27:02 AM
This one - orchestral only version - no singing. 8)

Compared with the original, the orchestra-only version is IMHO, as Abraham Lincoln famously stated, as thin as the homeopathic soup that was made by boiling the shadow of a pigeon that had starved to death.  8)
... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

Karl Henning

Quote from: Christo on September 14, 2015, 08:44:43 AM
Compared with the original, the orchestra-only version is IMHO, as Abraham Lincoln famously stated, as thin as the homeopathic soup that was made by boiling the shadow of a pigeon that had starved to death.  8)

That is wonderful.  Disappointing, but wonderful  8)
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

vandermolen

Quote from: Christo on September 14, 2015, 08:44:43 AM

:)

Probably like Copland's 'Lincoln Portrait' without the narration.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

cilgwyn

Quote from: vandermolen on September 13, 2015, 10:34:42 PM
These are all good choices although sadly none of them are coupled with that great masterpiece 'Serenade to Music' hahaha   :P
I hate to extend this any further >:D ;D......but I think my next cd-r of Henry Wood's recordings of VW may involve an un-coupling of the aforementioned 'Serenade'! :( ;D

vandermolen

Quote from: cilgwyn on September 18, 2015, 07:37:26 AM
I hate to extend this any further >:D ;D......but I think my next cd-r of Henry Wood's recordings of VW may involve an un-coupling of the aforementioned 'Serenade'! :( ;D
Good of you to start it all up again - no doubt it will all kick off again any moment. Sarge and Karl will be apoplectic with rage.  8) >:D :)
They will have to play 'Serenade to Music' to calm down.  8)
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Karl Henning

Oh, you haven't seen me enraged, dear fellow.

(Come to think of it, I may not have much of a talent for rage, any longer . . . .)
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

vandermolen

Quote from: karlhenning on September 18, 2015, 10:19:30 AM
Oh, you haven't seen me enraged, dear fellow.

(Come to think of it, I may not have much of a talent for rage, any longer . . . .)

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: cilgwyn on September 18, 2015, 07:37:26 AMbut I think my next cd-r of Henry Wood's recordings of VW may involve an un-coupling of the aforementioned 'Serenade'! :( ;D

Quote from: vandermolen on September 18, 2015, 10:08:24 AM
Good of you to start it all up again - no doubt it will all kick off again any moment. Sarge and Karl will be apoplectic with rage.  8) >:D :)
They will have to play 'Serenade to Music' to calm down.  8)

Yeah, listen to the Serenade...or...bring out the six-barrel Minigun (since the bazooka didn't work last time).

cilgwyn
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

vandermolen

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on September 18, 2015, 02:19:44 PM
Yeah, listen to the Serenade...or...bring out the six-barrel Minigun (since the bazooka didn't work last time).

cilgwyn

Peter Power Pop

Christo

Finally found a copy of the Israeli all-Vaughan Williams CD that I saw in Tel Aviv, back in 1996, but didn't buy then. Always very refreshing to hear a less 'English' interpretation of these pieces; even the lark takes a slightly different flight on Zina Schiff's violon. BTW this is the only 'other' extant recording of the string orchestra version of the Charterhouse Suite (1920) with its delicious and often very delicate (Rondo) themes. Not better than the Naxos/Lloyd-Jones, perhaps, but a welcome alternative:
... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

Mirror Image

Quote from: Christo on October 22, 2015, 07:25:44 AM
Finally found a copy of the Israeli all-Vaughan Williams CD that I saw in Tel Aviv, back in 1996, but didn't buy then. Always very refreshing to hear a less 'English' interpretation of these pieces; even the lark takes a slightly different flight on Zina Schiff's violon. BTW this is the only 'other' extant recording of the string orchestra version of the Charterhouse Suite (1920) with its delicious and often very delicate (Rondo) themes. Not better than the Naxos/Lloyd-Jones, perhaps, but a welcome alternative:

The Concerto Accademico is on there as well I see. Excellent. 8)

aukhawk

Quote from: Archaic Torso of Apollo on September 13, 2015, 02:51:44 PM
Sounds like Haitink's a good choice. Or Slatkin, if I want "tremendous organ presence" (but how important is the organ throughout?).
Reading around, Boult seems to be a highly-regarded classic performance. Am curious about Spano/Atlanta, any1 heard that one?

The Sea Symphony was this?  I think Elder has supplanted Haitink for me.  But I do very much like Spano as well - it's very, er, different - consistently quicker tempi than any of the others mentioned here - a no-nonsense, dare I say it Toscanini-like approach, antidote to 'overblown'.

vandermolen

Just a plug for the Marco Polo CD of Vaughan Williams's film music. It features in the 'BBC Top 1000 Classical CDs' book and deservedly so in my opinion, especially for the 'Story of a Flemish Farm' music with its echoes of Symphony 6. Of course there are the very fine Chandos releases on the VW film music on three CDs which are wonderful but the Andrew Penny recordings are the best single CD release of the film music. If the photo appears below it has a totally inappropriate image of a painting by Seurat - the actual CD has a still from one of the movies on the front which is much more appropriate (note that I have used 'film' and 'movie' alternatively so that our British and American readers know what I am on about).  8)
[asin]B00000462L[/asin]
I think that this will have an appeal beyond collectors of film music. It is certainly one of the most enjoyable Vaughan Williams CDs.

Scion7

Story of a Flemish Farm .......

SEE! A farmer plant his cabbage!
WATCH! As the crop is harvested!
SMELL! As kids all over the village run from the stench of cooking cabbage!
LAUGH! As Mirror Image is strapped to his high-chair and force-fed boiled cabbage by his well-meaning mommy.

I've never heard of this movie.  :)   Off to IMDB . . .
When, a few months before his death, Rachmaninov lamented that he no longer had the "strength and fire" to compose, friends reminded him of the Symphonic Dances, so charged with fire and strength. "Yes," he admitted. "I don't know how that happened. That was probably my last flicker."

Scion7

OKAY - I saw this many times back home in England before emmigrating.  Forgot the title "The Flemish Farm."  Don't remember the soundtrack.  Off to find a net-worthy copy.
When, a few months before his death, Rachmaninov lamented that he no longer had the "strength and fire" to compose, friends reminded him of the Symphonic Dances, so charged with fire and strength. "Yes," he admitted. "I don't know how that happened. That was probably my last flicker."

Mirror Image

Quote from: Scion7 on November 21, 2015, 04:42:41 AM

LAUGH! As Mirror Image is strapped to his high-chair and force-fed boiled cabbage by his well-meaning mommy.

:P

vandermolen

Quote from: Scion7 on November 21, 2015, 04:42:41 AM

Hilarious  :)

Scion7