Vaughan Williams's Veranda

Started by karlhenning, April 12, 2007, 06:03:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vandermolen

Quote from: Irons on May 27, 2024, 11:37:55 PMA good survey of the symphonies on record. Surprised and delighted he picked my favourite "London".

Nice video - less opinionated than Hurwitz.
I like his memory of 'Behold the Sea!!'
I agree with him - I also like the spoken extracts in Sinfonia Antartica.
I like his comments on No.9 as well 'dark, dramatic and probing' also his appreciation of Boult's introductory speech, informing 'Our American friends that VW had just passed away'.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Mirror Image

Quote from: vandermolen on June 14, 2024, 07:19:42 AMGreat to see VW on CPO. I see that they have chosen a stereotypical Ye Olde Teashop English village scene for the cover but, then again, why not? Thanks Cesar for alerting us to this interesting-looking release.

Yeah, some art from John Constable, Samuel Palmer or even Corot would've been more appropriate I think.
"Music is not a salvation, but it helps you to endure...endure until you finally can lay down and rest." ― Allan Pettersson