Your Three Favorite Composers

Started by Mirror Image, September 25, 2013, 06:42:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mirror Image

Quote from: Lisztianwagner on September 29, 2013, 06:55:03 AM
Since many have also added a second list:

Mahler, Rachmaninov, Johann Strauss.

Those that add a second list don't understand, or care, what I asked of them in my initial post. :-\

PaulR

1. Shostakovich
2. Musorgsky
3. Weinberg

Mirror Image

Quote from: kyjo on September 29, 2013, 06:52:04 AM
You've made wise decision, my friend! :) Ravel's music is head-and-shoulders above Strauss' IMO.

+1 I would go as far to say there's not even a contest.

Mirror Image

Quote from: PaulR on September 29, 2013, 07:14:54 AM
1. Shostakovich
2. Musorgsky
3. Weinberg

I figured you would pick these composers, Paul. You're so predictable. ;) :D

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Mirror Image on September 29, 2013, 07:12:24 AM
Those that add a second list don't understand, or care, what I asked of them in my initial post. :-\

Oh my...the irony  :laugh:

When the OP asked for a single concert you'd like to conduct, how many concerts did you list in that thread, John?  :D  When the OP asked for five unsung works, how many did you list, John?  :D

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Mirror Image

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on September 29, 2013, 07:32:07 AM
Oh my...the irony  :laugh:

When the OP asked for a single concert you'd like to conduct, how many concerts did you list in that thread, John?  :D  When the OP asked for five unsung works, how many did you list, John?  :D

Sarge

Fair enough!

In the thread 'five unsung works,' I don't remember the OP specifying how many lists we could make.

But, I just think it's interesting that some people can't make up their minds about which three composers are their absolute favorites. Shows the difficulty of this thread.

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Mirror Image on September 29, 2013, 07:37:11 AM
But, I just think it's interesting that some people can't make up their minds about which three composers are their absolute favorites. Shows the difficulty of this thread.

All of us have given you a primary three. But it is ridiculous trying to keep the choices down to just three composers when we're talking about a thousand years of music and thousands of composers. It may be easy for you (your range is relatively limited) but most of us have much broader taste.

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

dbrcarson

First is Brahms.

Second is a tie between Beethoven and Rachmaninov; for purposes of this thread I'll break the tie with Beethoven. His harmony is not as interesting as Rachmaninov's sometimes, but overall I think when push comes to shove I'm almost certain to enjoy a work by Beethoven, whereas with Rachmaninov is a little more hit or miss for me.

Third is Bach. I wasn't sure between him and Telemann or Handel, but his music is more enduring than either of these two masters (surprising, because Telemann and Handel were both waaay more popular for their compositions than Bach was during their time, Telemann especially for his many ouverture-suites).

But Brahms has been my number one for as long as I can remember. I think his music is as enduring as Bach's, if not more, because he studied the older master so thoroughly. Nobody's music moves me in such an inexpressible, unspeakable way like his does.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on September 29, 2013, 07:49:36 AM

All of us have given you a primary three. But it is ridiculous trying to keep the choices down to just three composers when we're talking about a thousand years of music and thousands of composers. It may be easy for you (your range is relatively limited) but most of us have much broader taste.

Sarge

I never said that picking three composers wasn't going to a difficult task, but I'm grateful to read that it was no problem for many members. A list like this, if nothing else, lets me, and others, see what composers really are next to a member's heart and that, in the end, is all that matters to me. I'm simply trying to get to know my fellow members better and the only way to do this effectively is to push them into a corner. :)

Karl Henning

Quote from: dbrcarson on September 29, 2013, 07:55:01 AM
First is Brahms.

Second is a tie between Beethoven and Rachmaninov; for purposes of this thread I'll break the tie with Beethoven. His harmony is not as interesting as Rachmaninov's sometimes, but overall I think when push comes to shove I'm almost certain to enjoy a work by Beethoven, whereas with Rachmaninov is a little more hit or miss for me.

Third is Bach. I wasn't sure between him and Telemann or Handel, but his music is more enduring than either of these two masters (surprising, because Telemann and Handel were both waaay more popular for their compositions than Bach was during their time, Telemann especially for his many ouverture-suites.

But Brahms has been my number one for as long as I can remember. I think his music is as enduring as Bach's, if not more, because he studied the older master so thoroughly. Nobody's music moves me in such an inexpressible, unspeakable way like his does.

Nice post, thank you.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

kyjo

Quote from: Mirror Image on September 29, 2013, 07:16:28 AM

Yeah, unlike you! :P

kyjo

Quote from: Mirror Image on September 29, 2013, 07:15:14 AM
+1 I would go as far to say there's not even a contest.

I would go that far as well. :)

mc ukrneal

Since it seems this favorite three (and not desert Island), I will go with:

Offenbach (has everything - depth, melody, stories)
Grainger (I hum/sing this music every single day - can't imagine life without him)
Brahms (not only do i love his individuality, but he has enough of other composers in him to satisfy those cravings as well)

But if it WERE desert island (today), I'd go with Mozart, Donizetti, and Schubert. This is not two lists - but the answer to two different questions.
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

Mirror Image

Quote from: mc ukrneal on September 29, 2013, 08:44:30 AM
Since it seems this favorite three (and not desert Island), I will go with:

Offenbach (has everything - depth, melody, stories)
Grainger (I hum/sing this music every single day - can't imagine life without him)
Brahms (not only do i love his individuality, but he has enough of other composers in him to satisfy those cravings as well)

But if it WERE desert island (today), I'd go with Mozart, Donizetti, and Schubert. This is not two lists - but the answer to two different questions.

Thanks for the feedback, Neal. I didn't realize you loved Offenbach's music this much, but I've probably read many of your posts regarding this composer, I just couldn't remember.

PaulR

Quote from: Mirror Image on September 29, 2013, 07:16:28 AM
I almost put Schumann, Schubert, Verdi, Schnittke, or Berlioz as #3.  1-2 are the clear top 2, 3-7 are almost interchangeable.

Sammy

Quote from: Mirror Image on September 29, 2013, 07:55:22 AM
I'm simply trying to get to know my fellow members better......

Does this mean you're going to show up at my front door in the near future?

Sammy

Quote from: Mirror Image on September 29, 2013, 07:12:24 AM

Only with a real poll can you control the parameters of the thread's intent.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Sammy on September 29, 2013, 02:07:25 PM
Does this mean you're going to show up at my front door in the near future?

If I lived in Albuquerque, then I wouldn't mind hanging out with you.

Sammy

Quote from: Mirror Image on September 29, 2013, 02:10:43 PM
If I lived in Albuquerque, then I wouldn't mind hanging out with you.

You're always welcome in my home.  Just let me know your preferred hard drink before ringing my doorbell.  I've got two extra bedrooms, and my dogs love having guests.