Hullo, Everyone!

Started by ZauberdrachenNr.7, March 03, 2014, 05:48:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ZauberdrachenNr.7

Quote from: Ken B on March 06, 2014, 12:55:01 PM
Why taken aback? Is it controversial to say Chopin's piano music is better than his orchestral? Is Sibelius known for his piano music? Not all composers excel equally in all areas.

Good question Ken B.  You'll remember my allusion to the Bourgeois Gentilhomme who late in life learns the difference between poetry and prose.  My idiosyncrasy, really; I have never distinguished Debussy's orchestral work from his keyboard work and chamber work.  I don't do that with other composers, that I can think of anyway.  I readily agree that few composers' work excels in all areas of musical form.  Debussy's oeuvre seems all of a piece to me and I never consciously recognized that until our conversation thread!  This may be suggestive of his great genius, as clumsily perceived by yours truly, or revealing only of my own, as I say, idiosyncrasy.  I believe I hear, and sometimes see, the same colorings and inner voices in the different forms and I can honestly say that I never think, 'oh, let's hear some of Debussy's keyboard work, or something symphonic.'  It's always Debussy.  La Mer, is a possible exception, I listen to it deliberately and so often it transcends any definition of musical form, it is the Sea and different conductors and orchestras show me different seas.   I hope I don't need counseling!  I once saw the score to La Mer  - it is one of the most beautiful things I've ever seen; he used different colors to identify his revisions.  If there are musicological explanations and analyses that differentiate Debussy's techniques across forms I would be glad to learn them. I'll take a look at Grove tonight!

ZauberdrachenNr.7

Quote from: North Star on March 06, 2014, 12:38:45 PM
Splendid! I knew you would love Martinu. :)

I fear it's more than love - we're talking a new arrival to ZauberdrachenNr.7's Top Ten. Thanks again.

Mirror Image

Quote from: ZauberdrachenNr.7 on March 06, 2014, 03:39:33 PM
I fear it's more than love - we're talking a new arrival to ZauberdrachenNr.7's Top Ten. Thanks again.

Wow, that's excellent. I love Martinu's music. The symphonies are definitely a great place to start. Check out either Bryden Thomson's set on Chandos or Jiri Belohlavek's set on Onyx. Both get a strong recommendation from me. If you need any more recommendations, then don't hesitate to ask any of us. You may want to visit Martinu's composer thread, too, whenever you get the chance. Lots of good stuff there.

http://www.good-music-guide.com/community/index.php/topic,3689.msg89304.html#msg89304

Ken B

Quote from: Mirror Image on March 07, 2014, 05:41:59 PM
Wow, that's excellent. I love Martinu's music. The symphonies are definitely a great place to start. Check out either Bryden Thomson's set on Chandos or Jiri Belohlavek's set on Onyx. Both get a strong recommendation from me. If you need any more recommendations, then don't hesitate to ask any of us. You may want to visit Martinu's composer thread, too, whenever you get the chance. Lots of good stuff there.

http://www.good-music-guide.com/community/index.php/topic,3689.msg89304.html#msg89304
I second these. I have only heard one of Jarvi, a Bis recording on Brilliant, and it was fine. I was unhappy with the Naxos symphonies. This music demands super tight ensemble playing that was lacking. The RCA Red Seal was OK, but not up to the ones John mentions. Charles MacKerras is excellent in a lot of stuff with Martinu.
The chamber music on Naxos is excellent.
Martinu's own favorite was the double concerto. The piano music is nice, but not echt Martinu.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Ken B on March 07, 2014, 06:31:35 PM
I second these. I have only heard one of Jarvi, a Bis recording on Brilliant, and it was fine. I was unhappy with the Naxos symphonies. This music demands super tight ensemble playing that was lacking. The RCA Red Seal was OK, but not up to the ones John mentions. Charles MacKerras is excellent in a lot of stuff with Martinu.
The chamber music on Naxos is excellent.
Martinu's own favorite was the double concerto. The piano music is nice, but not echt Martinu.

Mackerras was good in Martinu no question about it. I just wished he had recorded more of his music, especially the complete opera of Julietta. But we did get some fine recordings like the opera The Greek Passion and Field Mass. Yes, Mackerras did record Concerto for Double String Orchestra, but I find Belohlavek's on Chandos w/ the CzPO more rhythmically tight. Also, I can heartily recommend the 'French' Neoclassical ballets (Le Raid merveilleux, La Revue de Cuisine, and On Tourne for example). The concertante works are also worth checking out. I love the VCs, CCs, and the Oboe Concerto. Really top-notch works.

Anyway, I could go on and on about Martinu, but I'm already boring myself. :)

North Star

And don't forget the Nonet No. 2 and other chamber works!
[asin]B000007NE9[/asin]
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

ZauberdrachenNr.7

Martinu is really something special to me - thanks, the three of you!!!

North Star

My photographs on Flickr

ZauberdrachenNr.7

Am considering legally changing my username to:  Zauberdrachenů

Mirror Image

Quote from: ZauberdrachenNr.7 on March 10, 2014, 09:28:30 AM

:P

North Star

Quote from: ZauberdrachenNr.7 on March 10, 2014, 09:28:30 AM
Splendid, that would help with writing Martinů's name correctly on the forums, too

My photographs on Flickr

Karl Henning

Quote from: North Star on March 10, 2014, 10:01:19 AM
Splendid, that would help with writing Martinů's name correctly on the forums, too

Sez yoů! ;)
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

North Star

My photographs on Flickr