Hullo, Everyone!

Started by ZauberdrachenNr.7, March 03, 2014, 05:48:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ZauberdrachenNr.7

I wonder how many GMG Forum members might remember Karl Hass and his "Hullo, Everyone!", his trademark greeting on his syndicated radio program Adventures in Good Music?  Sure do miss him, but am glad to be a newbie here on GMG.  I have already been introduced to Ligeti's Clocks and Clouds via GMG membership, so am already a happy camper.  My favorite favorites are:  Brahms, Berlioz, Debussy, Faure, Szymanowski, Mahler, Wagner, Bax, Delius, Stravinsky, Zemlinsky, Prokofiev, and Poulenc.  And YOU for being here!

EigenUser

Quote from: ZauberdrachenNr.7 on March 03, 2014, 05:48:46 PM
I wonder how many GMG Forum members might remember Karl Hass and his "Hullo, Everyone!", his trademark greeting on his syndicated radio program Adventures in Good Music?  Sure do miss him, but am glad to be a newbie here on GMG.  I have already been introduced to Ligeti's Clocks and Clouds via GMG membership, so am already a happy camper.  My favorite favorites are:  Brahms, Berlioz, Debussy, Faure, Szymanowski, Mahler, Wagner, Bax, Delius, Stravinsky, Zemlinsky, Prokofiev, and Poulenc.  And YOU for being here!

Yes, "Clocks and Clouds" is a wonderful piece -- stunningly beautiful. I am on a personal mission to spread the word on this piece as it is one of Ligeti's lesser-known works. I am being rather tongue-in-cheek by saying this, but you get the idea. If you like "Clocks and Clouds" I recommend "Lontano". You list Debussy as a favorite favorite of yours. "Clocks and Clouds" really is an interesting contemporary analogue to the last of the "Trois Nocturnes".

I've been listening to some Mahler recently. I particularly like his scherzo movements most of all. Debussy is a favorite of mine, though I prefer Ravel. "La Mer", "Trois Nocturnes", "Prelude a l'apres...", and especially "Jeux" are all fantastic. I never really liked his piano pieces so much. I mean, they sound nice, but he's more interesting with orchestra, I think. I need to make a point to listen to Poulenc sometime soon. As popular as Prokofiev is, his work hasn't really drawn me yet.

I love discovering new things on here. Even if I don't like them or appreciate them on an emotional level I still have great fun learning about them. Two pieces that I discovered on here that really stick out as new favorites are Thomas Ades' "Asyla" and Maurice Ohana's second cello concerto "In Dark and Blue". Are you familiar with any of these?
Beethoven's Op. 133 -- A fugue so bad that even Beethoven himself called it "Grosse".

Ken B

Quote from: EigenUser on March 03, 2014, 07:25:19 PM
Yes, "Clocks and Clouds" is a wonderful piece -- stunningly beautiful. I am on a personal mission to spread the word on this piece as it is one of Ligeti's lesser-known works. I am being rather tongue-in-cheek by saying this, but you get the idea. If you like "Clocks and Clouds" I recommend "Lontano". You list Debussy as a favorite favorite of yours. "Clocks and Clouds" really is an interesting contemporary analogue to the last of the "Trois Nocturnes".

I've been listening to some Mahler recently. I particularly like his scherzo movements most of all. Debussy is a favorite of mine, though I prefer Ravel. "La Mer", "Trois Nocturnes", "Prelude a l'apres...", and especially "Jeux" are all fantastic. I never really liked his piano pieces so much. I mean, they sound nice, but he's more interesting with orchestra, I think. I need to make a point to listen to Poulenc sometime soon. As popular as Prokofiev is, his work hasn't really drawn me yet.

I love discovering new things on here. Even if I don't like them or appreciate them on an emotional level I still have great fun learning about them. Two pieces that I discovered on here that really stick out as new favorites are Thomas Ades' "Asyla" and Maurice Ohana's second cello concerto "In Dark and Blue". Are you familiar with any of these?
Interesting. I am quite the reverse. I find Debussy's orchestral music shallow and dull albeit in a pretty way; it's in his piano music that he is at his best and most original.

Prokofiev, to take my life in my hands here on this site, is most interesting in his piano music too. The sonatas are impressive and my favourite Prok is probably Fugitive Visions for piano. Or VC 2, a perennial crowd pleaser. Alexander Nevsky might appeal to you.

mc ukrneal

Welcome! There is certainly lots of music to explore. Do you like earlier periods or have you not really explored them much yet?
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

amw

Quote from: Ken B on March 03, 2014, 07:36:10 PM
Prokofiev, to take my life in my hands here on this site, is most interesting in his piano music too.

QFT. The piano music is a goldmine. (I also evangelise for the Symphony-Concerto, though it hasn't won many followers hereabouts)

I also prefer Debussy's piano music, particularly the Etudes and L'isle joyeuse, to his orchestral works; but I am not a huge Debussy fan anyways.

North Star

Quote from: ZauberdrachenNr.7 on March 03, 2014, 05:48:46 PM

Welcome to the forum!
Nice list indeed - of those, Brahms, Berlioz, Debussy, Fauré, Szymanowski, Mahler, Stravinsky, Prokofiev & Poulenc are among my favourites, for sure.

Time to revisit Clocks and Clouds... Oh yes, this is excellent. :)
Agreed re: Debussy vs. Ravel, but I like both piano & orchestral (and chamber & operatic) Debussy.
What Proky have you heard? Solo piano, violin sonatas, PCs, VCs, ballets, symphonies, operas?

Quote from: Ken B on March 03, 2014, 07:36:10 PMProkofiev, to take my life in my hands here on this site, is most interesting in his piano music too. The sonatas are impressive and my favourite Prok is probably Fugitive Visions for piano. Or VC 2, a perennial crowd pleaser. Alexander Nevsky might appeal to you.
Great works, all these.
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Lisztianwagner

Welcome to the forum, hope you'll have a nice time here!
Great list, many of the composers you mentioned are among my favourites too, Wagner and Mahler above all.
"You cannot expect the Form before the Idea, for they will come into being together." - Arnold Schönberg

ZauberdrachenNr.7

Ravel is a brilliant composer (love Tombeau; Ma mère l'oye and L'enfant et les sortileges and he's definitely in my 'Top Twenty' but I can't give him Debussy status - I think innovation has to be credited and recognized; even among his contemporaries (Milhaud, entre autres) Ravel was viewed as overly conservative, much as it pains me to say that.  RE:  Claude:  you know, I never thought to dissociate his orchestral work from the keyboard and so honestly can't say which I prefer - I feel a bit like Moliere's M. Jourdain who late in life learns the difference between poetry and prose  :o.   This is something I will have to mull over!   I know some of Ades' work but first time to hear of Ohana and will pursue on your recommend!  You are batting a thousand with Clocks and Clouds.  THANK YOU!   RE:  Prokofiev, might I suggest something more intimate, if you haven't heard it? - his first Violin Sonata (I like Mintz and Bronfman on DG).  You seem to esp. appreciate evocative works - there's a chilling passage therein that Prokofiev wrote to resemble the sound of "wind in a graveyard."  I think he captured it!

ZauberdrachenNr.7

Quote from: North Star on March 03, 2014, 10:25:27 PM
Welcome to the forum!
Nice list indeed - of those, Brahms, Berlioz, Debussy, Fauré, Szymanowski, Mahler, Stravinsky, Prokofiev & Poulenc are among my favourites, for sure.
Time to revisit Clocks and Clouds... Oh yes, this is excellent. :)
Agreed re: Debussy vs. Ravel, but I like both piano & orchestral (and chamber & operatic) Debussy.
What Proky have you heard? Solo piano, violin sonatas, PCs, VCs, ballets, symphonies, operas?
Great works, all these.

Prokofiev definitely seems to favor - and be in his element - in the larger scale works but I love his violin sonatas and piano sonatas.   I listen to them frequently and often repetitively as their secrets unfold with repeat listens.  I used to enjoy the string quartets as well but haven't heard them in over ten years - time to revisit.  When it's time to 'rock' - it's the violin concertos.  Am I one of the few fans to enjoy his opera - the Gambler?  Speaking of VCs - I sure do enjoy Szymanowksi's - favorites of late - they are so wonderful it makes me hope that a century hence classical fans' top twenty lists might see him turn-up more often - but perhaps they will more to worry about than classical music... :(

North Star

Do you know Seven, they are Seven? Great piece.
The Gambler I've heard but I need to hear it again.
Szymanowski's VCs are superb!
Do you know Martinu or Janacek?

My photographs on Flickr

ZauberdrachenNr.7

Quote from: mc ukrneal on March 03, 2014, 07:38:10 PM
Welcome! There is certainly lots of music to explore. Do you like earlier periods or have you not really explored them much yet?

Yes, thanks for asking, I enjoy French Baroque music very much and I like medieval songs (troubadours) and dances.  One of my favorite CDs is on Lyrichord, French Sacred Music of the 14th century.  But, truth to say, I'm happiest in the 20th century (fewer plagues). 

ZauberdrachenNr.7

Quote from: North Star on March 04, 2014, 05:15:16 AM
Do you know Seven, they are Seven? Great piece.
[ï]The Gambler[/i] I've heard but I need to hear it again.
Szymanowski's VCs are superb!
Do you know Martinu or Janacek?

Nope - heard of but have not heard Seven.  Adding to the List.  North Star, you make me sad as I love Janacek enough to feel seriously guilty (GUILTY!!! :'() for not including him in my list of favorites.  The Cunning Little Vixen I have seen one way or another 4x, but I esp. love his Concertino and his piano works (In the Mist, On an Overgrown Path) and many others.  Also, his biography fascinates. 

North Star

Quote from: ZauberdrachenNr.7 on March 04, 2014, 05:31:19 AM
Nope - heard of but have not heard Seven.  Adding to the List.  North Star, you make me sad as I love Janacek enough to feel seriously guilty (GUILTY!!! :'() for not including him in my list of favorites.  The Cunning Little Vixen I have seen one way or another 4x, but I esp. love his Concertino and his piano works (In the Mist, On an Overgrown Path) and many others.  Also, his biography fascinates.
Splendid, this board needed more Janacek lovers  :)   (he's one of my favourites, along with Ravel)   String Quartets and From the House of the Dead!!
So, what about Martinů?

Here you go:
http://www.youtube.com/v/IdtHOOxPgCo

My photographs on Flickr

Mirror Image

Welcome aboard! Nice to have another 20th Century fan among us.

bhodges

Quote from: ZauberdrachenNr.7 on March 04, 2014, 05:20:14 AM
But, truth to say, I'm happiest in the 20th century (fewer plagues).

;D

Welcome, and hope you don't find any plagues here. I also enjoy most of the composers you list, and Ligeti is one of my favorites.

--Bruce

ZauberdrachenNr.7

Quote from: North Star on March 04, 2014, 05:42:06 AM
Splendid, this board needed more Janacek lovers  :)   (he's one of my favourites, along with Ravel)   String Quartets and From the House of the Dead!!
So, what about Martinů?

Here you go:
http://www.youtube.com/v/IdtHOOxPgCo

You ARE the North Star - thanks, the Prokofiev was fascinating.  As for Martinu, I am innocent of him.  It is a curious thing, I have never to the best of my recollection EVER heard him on the radio.  Maybe it's just my bad luck.  What can I start with?

Karl Henning

Quote from: amw on March 03, 2014, 08:34:49 PM
QFT. The piano music is a goldmine. (I also evangelise for the Symphony-Concerto, though it hasn't won many followers hereabouts)

Oh, did I know that?  I pound the table for the Op.125, too.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Karl Henning

Quote from: Ken B on March 03, 2014, 07:36:10 PM
Prokofiev, to take my life in my hands here on this site, is most interesting in his piano music too.

Well, while I don't think that degrades the rest of his work ;) I probably agree:  Almost nowhere is Сергей Сергеевич better than in his piano solo œuvre.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

North Star

Quote from: ZauberdrachenNr.7 on March 04, 2014, 10:06:00 AM
You ARE the North Star - thanks, the Prokofiev was fascinating.  As for Martinu, I am innocent of him.  It is a curious thing, I have never to the best of my recollection EVER heard him on the radio.  Maybe it's just my bad luck.  What can I start with?

Here are some good places to start, and keep you going for a while if you like the music  :)
http://www.youtube.com/v/-9sqT-2f7S4   http://www.youtube.com/v/7nBhO0ll_vI  http://www.youtube.com/v/NfgpjCMVNQc
http://www.youtube.com/v/TRoUDvwIXPI    http://www.youtube.com/v/3j-RFdjrbIo    http://www.youtube.com/v/ofciLQT2EmE
http://www.youtube.com/v/a7xGhYVLiiU     http://www.youtube.com/v/lEAPa4_Ylog

My photographs on Flickr

Ken B

Quote from: Mirror Image on March 04, 2014, 06:37:48 AM
Welcome aboard! Nice to have another 20th Century fan among us.
Those who reject minimalism must live in the past John.  ;) :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: