understanding racism and cultural bias in Mexico

Started by XB-70 Valkyrie, March 10, 2015, 05:35:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

XB-70 Valkyrie

Just some observations and questions here (BTW, my wife is Mexican-American). The U.S. certainly is and has been a racist (very racist) society through its history, but everywhere I have traveled in the world, I have noticed no shortage of hatred/discrimination based on race, ethnicity, religion, etc, etc. I am interested in how (and why) this plays out in Mexico.

Some Mexican people seem to really detest Germans and resent anything to do with Germany. Is this because the Germans introduced the accordian to Mexico??  :o

In talking to Mexican people, many seem to think (or at least give off the impression) that all other other Latin American cultures are shit, and theirs is the only one that matters. I have heard that when someone from Honduras, Guatemala, or elsewhere in Latin America crosses the border into Mexico, they are often savagely beaten and/or killed because of their ethnicity/national origin.

Many Mexican people seem to likewise hate Spain and Spanish culture. It seems that nearly all Mexican people I know identify with the indigenous/aboriginal ancestry (Mayan, Aztec, etc.) and have nothing  at all to say about the Spanish part of their heritage. (My wife is actually partially descendant from Greek immigrants to Mexico.) Strangely enough, my impression of Spanish people is that they scarcely even notice or care about Mexico.  While some Mexican people seem to viscerally hate and mock Castilian Spanish pronunciation, the Spanish often are just dismissive of Mexican Spanish--in one case calling it "cute".

Again, these are just my experiences/impressions; I do not claim that this is based on any kind of rigorous study. I am curious to know more about the topic.

If you really dislike Bach you keep quiet about it! - Andras Schiff

Archaic Torso of Apollo

Quote from: XB-70 Valkyrie on March 10, 2015, 05:35:30 PM
Many Mexican people seem to likewise hate Spain and Spanish culture. It seems that nearly all Mexican people I know identify with the indigenous/aboriginal ancestry (Mayan, Aztec, etc.) and have nothing  at all to say about the Spanish part of their heritage.

As I understand it, it's an important part of the national mythology in Mexico that everyone is "mestizo." But this is of course a very broad term. One person can be 99% Spanish and 1% Indian, while another can be 1% Spanish and 99% Indian. But they are both mestizo strictly speaking, even though they look completely different.

Meanwhile, Mexico appears to be still run by descendants of the people who conquered it 500 years ago. Look at photos of Mexican presidents for the last century; it's one white guy after another.

What does your wife have to say about your observations?
formerly VELIMIR (before that, Spitvalve)

"Who knows not strict counterpoint, lives and dies an ignoramus" - CPE Bach

Archaic Torso of Apollo

Quote from: XB-70 Valkyrie on March 10, 2015, 05:35:30 PM
Strangely enough, my impression of Spanish people is that they scarcely even notice or care about Mexico.  While some Mexican people seem to viscerally hate and mock Castilian Spanish pronunciation, the Spanish often are just dismissive of Mexican Spanish--in one case calling it "cute".

I had a Spanish housemate once. He didn't think Mexican Spanish was "cute" - he thought it was sloppy and uncultured.

To be fair, a lot of British people think (or used to think) the same about American English.

XB-70 Valkyrie

My wife does not have very much to say about it at all; she is 2nd generation, and has lighter skin than me (I'm an Irish-American gringo with a slight tan). All four of her grandparents came from Mexico, but her parents were born in the HELL-A area. She is very interested her (supposed) Mayan ancsestry. 

If you really dislike Bach you keep quiet about it! - Andras Schiff

Archaic Torso of Apollo

Quote from: XB-70 Valkyrie on March 10, 2015, 05:56:42 PM
her parents were born in the HELL-A area. She is very interested her (supposed) Mayan ancsestry.

Do you mean "Xel-Ha"? I was just in that area a couple weeks ago (Yucatan). Yes, that's the Mayan corner of Mexico.