Your Top 5 Favorite Operas

Started by Mirror Image, October 10, 2016, 08:01:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mirror Image

Quote from: jessop on December 11, 2016, 05:01:57 PM
A few recent mentions of King Roger........I might go see that next year when Opera Australia is putting on a production 8)

You definitely should! It's an amazing piece. As you know I'm not an opera fan, but I remain absolutely impressed by it.

Check out this excerpt --- if you don't find this gorgeous or appealing, then this opera definitely isn't for you:

https://www.youtube.com/v/014AESt5Fy4

ComposerOfAvantGarde

Quote from: Mirror Image on December 11, 2016, 05:19:18 PM
You definitely should! It's an amazing piece. As you know I'm not an opera fan, but I remain absolutely impressed by it.

Check out this excerpt --- if you don't find this gorgeous or appealing, then this opera definitely isn't for you:

https://www.youtube.com/v/014AESt5Fy4

It certainly is beautiful! I don't know the whole opera but I think I may have heard this somewhere before without realising what it was from :)

Mirror Image

Quote from: jessop on December 11, 2016, 05:27:32 PM
It certainly is beautiful! I don't know the whole opera but I think I may have heard this somewhere before without realising what it was from :)

Glad you enjoyed, Jessop. 8)

Mahlerian

Quote from: Thatfabulousalien on December 19, 2016, 06:31:37 PM
Just a random thought, but Bartok's Bluebeard, Schoenberg's Erwartung and Feldman's Neither all in one program would be so emotionally overpowering imho. They're all very emotionally intense psychological dramas, with really powerful music. I love each dearly though, but could you imagine that!  :'(

The Bartok and Schoenberg have been performed together a number of times in recent years.  You'd probably have a hard time asking them to augment that with the Feldman, though...it's already a draining night!
"l do not consider my music as atonal, but rather as non-tonal. I feel the unity of all keys. Atonal music by modern composers admits of no key at all, no feeling of any definite center." - Arnold Schoenberg

bhodges

In 2011, NY City Opera did a program called "Monodramas," with the Schoenberg (interestingly staged, as if the action were occurring in reverse), the Feldman (beautiful production, never to be seen again), and a 10-minute piece by John Zorn called Machine de l'Être. It was quite an evening, one of the last from NY City Opera before the company went bust and then made a comeback later, into its current form.

--Bruce