What TV series are you currently watching?

Started by Wakefield, April 26, 2015, 06:16:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Iota

Quote from: NumberSix on September 22, 2024, 08:41:22 AMDidn't even know this one existed. I like the sound of it.

Maybe time to finally sign up for that 7-day trial of MGM+ on amazon prime video. Looks like they also have a 6-episode series about Russian spies starring Guy Pearce and Damian Lewis.

Actually a friend was urging me to watch that spy drama yesterday, so I may also be heading that way sometime soon. It also has Anna Maxwell who I normally find well worth watching.

LKB

Mit Flügeln, die ich mir errungen...

Irons

You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

DavidW

AnotherSpin

Papy Oli

Quote from: DavidW on September 23, 2024, 08:07:36 AMI started Slow Horses.

"They're a bunch of losers...but they're my losers..."

8)
Olivier

drogulus

I'm rewatching Edward The Seventh, helpfully retitled Edward The King when shown in the US way back when. Timothy West plays our hero, Annette Crosbie plays Victoria, insufferable mom and also besides Empress of India. Various acting luminaries also contribute. Christopher Neame does a very good Kaiser Willy.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:126.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/126.0

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:109.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/115.0

Mandryka

Quote from: drogulus on September 24, 2024, 08:40:22 AMI'm rewatching Edward The Seventh, helpfully retitled Edward The King when shown in the US way back when. Timothy West plays our hero, Annette Crosbie plays Victoria, insufferable mom and also besides Empress of India. Various acting luminaries also contribute. Christopher Neame does a very good Kaiser Willy.

I misread it and thought you said Edward the Second -- try this, it's more my style

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Cato

In past weeks, we spent some time with all 5 seasons of Fargo.

We thought they were all worthy of watching until the end.

Mrs. Cato thought that Season 5 was the best:

QuoteAfter an unexpected series of events lands Dorothy "Dot" Lyon in hot water with the authorities, this seemingly typical Midwestern housewife is suddenly plunged back into a life she thought she had left behind.

Note the references to The Wizard of Oz.   ;) 

I thought Season 1 and Season 5 were tied for "First Place."

"...Set from January 2006 to February 2007, the season follows hitman Lorne Malvo (Billy Bob Thornton) who stops at a hospital in Bemidji, Minnesota following a car accident and influences local mild-mannered insurance salesman Lester Nygaard (Martin Freeman) with his violent and deceptive ways. Their meeting sets forth a series of murders throughout the city. ..."

Next favorite was Season 2 with Kirsten Dunst, followed by Season 3, which has Ray Wise in a small role with Twin Peaks references, which role almost lifted it to a tie with Season 2 in my scoring!  8)

Season 4, which must have been expensive to produce, as it takes place in the 1920's in Kansas City, was good, but lacked the punch and humor of the other seasons, with the exception of the appearance of Timothy Olyphant, who enlivened things greatly, whenever his character appeared.

"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

drogulus

Quote from: Mandryka on September 24, 2024, 09:17:30 AMI misread it and thought you said Edward the Second -- try this, it's more my style

I had to relocate to the UK to see that. It is on Prime in the US.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:126.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/126.0

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:109.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/115.0

Mandryka

Quote from: drogulus on September 24, 2024, 10:36:16 AMI had to relocate to the UK to see that. It is on Prime in the US.

It is very disturbing and IMO very very good.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Todd

Turning Point: The Bomb and the Cold War.  This nine-part "documentary" popped up in my Netflix queue, and the preview blurb had some talking head going on about the horrific nature of nuclear war planning.  I spun it up.  The opening minute offered less promise as it immediately devolved into slop about how we are now in a new Cold War.  Then came Bob Gates repeating talking points he knows to be untrue.  Then about two-and-a-half minutes in, Volodymyr Zelenskyy showed up on screen.  Off the show went.  It's not a documentary; it's propaganda.  Back to books on this topic.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

DavidW

Quote from: Todd on September 26, 2024, 04:58:41 AM

Turning Point: The Bomb and the Cold War.  This nine-part "documentary" popped up in my Netflix queue, and the preview blurb had some talking head going on about the horrific nature of nuclear war planning.  I spun it up.  The opening minute offered less promise as it immediately devolved into slop about how we are now in a new Cold War.  Then came Bob Gates repeating talking points he knows to be untrue.  Then about two-and-a-half minutes in, Volodymyr Zelenskyy showed up on screen.  Off the show went.  It's not a documentary; it's propaganda.  Back to books on this topic.

Sounds like the usual Netflix documentary then! :laugh:

AnotherSpin

Quote from: Todd on September 26, 2024, 04:58:41 AM

If Zelensky irritates you so much, why not focus your attention on the RF made documentaries featuring Putin? No propaganda there, guaranteed 8).

Todd

Quote from: AnotherSpin on September 26, 2024, 09:49:07 AMIf Zelensky irritates you so much, why not focus your attention on the RF made documentaries featuring Putin? No propaganda there, guaranteed 8).

Huh?

George

"It is a curious fact that people are never so trivial as when they take themselves seriously." –Oscar Wilde

hopefullytrusting

Quote from: Todd on September 26, 2024, 09:51:47 AMHuh?

I think some mistake your distaste as resounding praise, but I suspect before the recent disagreement over the border not many could tell you a single think about Ukraine.

DavidW

Quote from: hopefullytrusting on September 26, 2024, 11:44:00 AMI think some mistake your distaste as resounding praise, but I suspect before the recent disagreement over the border not many could tell you a single think about Ukraine.

*cough* Chernobyl *cough* so make it two things instead of a single thing. :laugh:

Todd

Quote from: hopefullytrusting on September 26, 2024, 11:44:00 AMI think some mistake your distaste as resounding praise, but I suspect before the recent disagreement over the border not many could tell you a single think about Ukraine.

It is clear that many people resort to false dilemma thinking and arguments all the time.