Anna Webber - flute
Oscar Noriega - clarinets
James Brandon Lewis - tenor saxophone
Nate Wooley - trumpet
Jennifer Choi - violin
Kyle Armbrust - viola
Michael Nicolas - cello
Shahzad Ismaily - bass and keyboards
Ches Smith - electronics, programming, vibes, drums, tubular bells, glockenspiel, timpani, tam tam, metal percussion
Innocent and guilty. Happy and suffering. Tragedy and comedy. Holy loser.

brewski

The Singers Unlimited: "All the Things You Are". Vocal prowess aside, Gene Puerling's stunning arrangement is part of the appeal.

-Bruce
"I set down a beautiful chord on paper—and suddenly it rusts."
—Alfred Schnittke (1934-1998)

brewski

Highline: "Skylark." A vocal quintet new to me, with a fantastic arrangement of a classic.

-Bruce

eoghan

Quote from: brewski on September 01, 2024, 06:40:46 PMThe Singers Unlimited: "All the Things You Are". Vocal prowess aside, Gene Puerling's stunning arrangement is part of the appeal.

-Bruce
Love that there's another Singers Unlimited fan here. Here's my personal favourite:

Here are a few more:

AnotherSpin

Bass – George Tucker
Drums – Andrew Cyrille
Piano – Andrew Hill
Vibraphone – Walt Dickerson

AnotherSpin

SimonNZ

Reaquired more Jarrett and I've had this one on high rotation for the last couple of weeks.

I'd forgotten how much scrappier and energetic this sounds than many/most of the Standards Trio discs - including, oddly, material from the same sessions on S2

T. D.

Henk

Innocent and guilty. Happy and suffering. Tragedy and comedy. Holy loser.

hopefullytrusting

Doesn't get much better than this:

Duke's Black, Brown and Beige

SimonNZ

Charles Lloyd - The Sky Will Still Be There Tomorrow (2024)

Which was every bit as good as all the glowing reviews promised.

Now I want to hear every album this pianist Jason Moran has played on, including the other five he's made with Lloyd.

modified

Mal Waldron Trio feat. Jim Pepper (1988): Mal, Dance and Soul

SimonNZ

Double Image - Dawn (1978)

mentioned on a different forum - an early ECM album I somehow hadn't seen or heard before

brewski

Hoagy Carmichael and Johnny Mercer (arr. Jared Graveley): I Walk with Music (Highline Vocal Jazz). Discovered this group while looking for arrangements by Gene Puerling (of The Singers Unlimited), and am becoming a big fan.

The group's multitalented bass, Jared Graveley, does many of the ensemble's arrangements, and also sings with Chanticleer.

-Bruce

brewski

The Real Group: Pass Me The Jazz. Another vocal group new to me, recorded here in Stockholm.

-Bruce

San Antone

Quote from: brewski on September 17, 2024, 06:17:06 AMHoagy Carmichael and Johnny Mercer (arr. Jared Graveley): I Walk with Music (Highline Vocal Jazz). Discovered this group while looking for arrangements by Gene Puerling (of The Singers Unlimited), and am becoming a big fan.

Another big fan of The Singers Unlimited.  This kind of ensemble close harmony singing is wonderful and it is good to see other younger singers carrying on the tradition.

Btw, my favorite album with the Singers Unlimited is In Tune with the Oscar Peterson Trio. (and I just saw that you'd posted several clips of them)

NumberSix

Bill Buford: If Summer Had Its Ghosts (1997)