What Opera Are You Listening to Now?

Started by Tsaraslondon, April 10, 2017, 04:29:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Iota

Quote from: JBS on September 30, 2024, 10:52:15 AM

The only VW opera I've seen live (ROH) and I enjoyed it a lot more than I was expecting to.

JBS

Quote from: Iota on September 30, 2024, 11:09:03 AMThe only VW opera I've seen live (ROH) and I enjoyed it a lot more than I was expecting to.

It's interesting to compare it with Verdi. Far more of the original play (meaning characters and incidents), far less of Henry IV, and of course using Shakespeare's language with no need to translate,  in the RVW. And so much of RVW's music  is folksong-based.

My copy is part of the Warner New Collection. The images for the CD jackets are a bit of a mismatch.

William Logsdail The Ninth of November 1888 (the Lord Mayor's Procession)

JHF Bacon The Relief of Ladysmith

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Papy Oli

First listen

Berg
Wozzeck
Act I
Boulez

???
Olivier

Florestan

The other day listened to the 1st act of this:

This the very first opera Rossini ever wrote and the exact authorship of its numbers is still disputed, although that the overture is not by him is an established fact, that I could've established myself. Given that the only thing that made me sit up and listen so far was a love duet, I'd say it's most certainly Rossini's.

Worth a try as a historical curiosity, but I doubt I'll ever listen to it again.

"Great music is that which penetrates the ear with facility and leaves the memory with difficulty. Magical music never leaves the memory." — Thomas Beecham

ritter

Quote from: Florestan on October 02, 2024, 10:54:47 AMThe other day listened to the 1st act of this:

...Given that the only thing that made me sit up and listen so far was a love duet, I'd say it's most certainly Rossini's.

Some people would say it's most certainly Meyerbeer's...  ;)

Good evening, Andrei.

Florestan

Quote from: ritter on October 02, 2024, 11:18:13 AMSome people would say it's most certainly Meyerbeer's...  ;)

Hah! Touché!

No, really, very good one. Bravo!

Btw, did you know that Meyerbeer was one of the pall-bearers at Chopin's funerals?

QuoteGood evening, Andrei.

Good evening, my friend.
"Great music is that which penetrates the ear with facility and leaves the memory with difficulty. Magical music never leaves the memory." — Thomas Beecham

Papy Oli

Olivier

Lisztianwagner

Leoš Janáček
From the House of the Dead

Charles Mackerras & Wiener Philharmoniker

"You cannot expect the Form before the Idea, for they will come into being together." - Arnold Schönberg