What are you listening 2 now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, September 23, 2019, 05:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

foxandpeng, AnotherSpin (+ 2 Hidden) and 9 Guests are viewing this topic.

Harry

Continuo, Addio!
Duos, sonatas & caprices for violin & Cello.
Recorded at the Church of Saint-Rémi de Franc-Warêt. (Belgium) 2018.
See for details back cover.

If you like this sort of duos, you are in for a treat. First is the playing impeccable, but the interpretation will charm you out of your socks. SOTA sound, amazing! For a long time it was irrefutable certainty that a harpsichord was obligatory in chamber music up to the Classical period, and people were quick to overlook indications and notes such as Cello or harpsichord. The Duo Tartini,  dares here the experiment without harpsichord, but also presents original duo compositions. And the result is nothing short of amazing. Recommended!
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

Traverso

Ravel

piano trio

Beaux Arts Trio

part of this box

foxandpeng

Quote from: AnotherSpin on February 27, 2024, 01:26:41 AMTried a few of the albums that Qobuz has. That's enough for me.

At least you gave it a few hours' listening rather than just a shallow poke. Not every composer is for everyone - even one as good as Schuman.
"A quiet secluded life in the country, with the possibility of being useful to people ... then work which one hopes may be of some use; then rest, nature, books, music, love for one's neighbour — such is my idea of happiness"

Tolstoy

Harry

Élisabeth Jacquet de La Guerre (1665-1729)
CÉPHALE ET PROCRIS.
Tragédie lyrique en un prologue et cinq actes sur un livret de Joseph-François
Duché de Vancy, créée au Théâtre du Palais-Royal en 1694.
Avec le soutien exceptionnel de Madame Aline Foriel-Destezet.
Recorded, 2023, au Grand Manège de Namur.

Repertoire I not often indulge in, but for the composer, Élisabeth Jacquet de La Guerre, I gladly make an exception. There are people on GMG who can speak with more knowledge about this genre, but since I am not that adept, I limit myself  to the following. Voices, Choir, instrumentalists, recording, all is of an exceptional level. Time is swiftly passing by if all works according to plan. It does!

AnotherSpin

Quote from: foxandpeng on February 27, 2024, 03:01:16 AMAt least you gave it a few hours' listening rather than just a shallow poke. Not every composer is for everyone - even one as good as Schuman.

Nope, it didn't take hours, much less.

Lisztianwagner

Arthur Honegger
Symphony No.3

Herbert von Karajan & Berliner Philharmoniker

"You cannot expect the Form before the Idea, for they will come into being together." - Arnold Schönberg

Todd

The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

DavidW

Mozart Masses KV 167 and 140.  Apparently KV 140 might be spurious!?  Dang I really liked both anyway.  Really hit the spot this morning.

Also finally Shostakovich and Schnittke's cello sonatas.

Traverso

Roussel

Symphony 1 & 3

Harry

Georges Catoire.
String Quartet opus.23.
Piano Quintet, opus 28.

Anna Zassimova, Piano.
Utrecht String Quartet.
Recorded in 2022.

This is music of the Fin de Siècle, which is permeated by an air of farewell, that could hardly be more beautiful. And beautiful it is. A neglected composer, almost forgotten really, a treasure to be discovered. The colours, expectancy of images, surreal. One flows of a stream of intense emotions. Well recorded and performed.

vandermolen

Quote from: AnotherSpin on February 27, 2024, 01:26:41 AMTried a few of the albums that Qobuz has. That's enough for me.
OK fair enough!
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Spotted Horses

Quote from: Tsaraslondon on February 27, 2024, 02:18:26 AM

Staying with Bach this morning, for the moment anyway.

That's one recording which, to my memory, Grumiaux's violin tone had a more luminous sound on LP than on the CD remaster. But the LP sound resides in my memory and it is a very early CD master. I wonder if later issues of the recording improve on the original CD release.

Harry

David Petersen. (Pietersen) (1650-1737)
Speelstukken (Amsterdam 1683).
Sonatas, No.1,2,4-7,9,10,12.
The Rare Fruits Council.
Manfredo Kraemer, Violin.
Recorded in 1997, Lutherse Kerk, Hilversum, Netherlands.

For me a totally unknown composer , never heard of him, and can only find one CD, namely this one! The nine of the twelve pieces recorded here overwhelm  with an immense abundance of skilful ideas in manifold, and combinations, and with many neck-breaking passages, a feast for the senses! Highly entertaining.

David Petersen (born Lübeck ca. 1650 or 1651 – died Amsterdam, before 5 May 1737) was a violinist and composer of north German origin active in the Netherlands (United Provinces).In the 1670s he travelled to Lund, Sweden where he was an employee of the newly founded University. By 1680, however, he had moved to Amsterdam where he remained for the rest of his career.

Brian

Hurwitz likes it but I am disappointed. Everything is just too slow. Worth considering if you are a Celibidachean or an audiophile.

DavidW

foxandpeng

Quote from: AnotherSpin on February 27, 2024, 03:58:57 AMNope, it didn't take hours, much less.

Each to their own 🙂

I've found most of my greatest loves and finest discoveries have needed a little perseverance. Schuman being one of them, actually. I had a stab at his symphonies on a couple of occasions and just couldn't take to them. Recently, however, I've been massively impressed.
"A quiet secluded life in the country, with the possibility of being useful to people ... then work which one hopes may be of some use; then rest, nature, books, music, love for one's neighbour — such is my idea of happiness"

Tolstoy

Spotted Horses

Quote from: foxandpeng on February 27, 2024, 09:24:07 AMEach to their own 🙂

I've found most of my greatest loves and finest discoveries have needed a little perseverance. Schuman being one of them, actually. I had a stab at his symphonies on a couple of occasions and just couldn't take to them. Recently, however, I've been massively impressed.

I'm also impressed, having listened backwards from 8 to 4, so far. No 3, his most popular, is next. The one detraction is that, except for the 5th for strings, they seem to have a similar sound/technique. It's not like Beethoven where each symphony is a distinctly different sound. Not every composer can be Beethoven.

classicalgeek

Schoenberg
Theme and Variations (for concert band)
Royal Northern College of Music Wind Orchestra
Timothy Reynish

(on Spotify)

So much great music, so little time...

Original compositions and orchestrations: https://www.youtube.com/@jmbrannigan

Brian

Op. 18. I like the appealing warm sound of the players and the intimacy of their sound, as if they are your friends in a true "chamber" setting. But I do wish the cello was a little bit more prominent in the sound mix. Overall going very nicely.

Linz

Mozart Eight variations on the chorus ''Dieu d'amour'' KV 352 excerpt from the comic opera
Seven variations on the Dutch song ''Willem von Nassau'' KV 25
Six variations on ''Mio caro Adone'' KV 180 excerpt from the opera 'La fiera di Venizia\'\' by Salieri
Twelve variations on a minuet by Johann Christian Fischer KV 179
Twelve variations on an allegretto KV 500