What are you listening 2 now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, September 23, 2019, 05:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

VonStupp, Roasted Swan, Linz and 9 Guests are viewing this topic.

ritter

And now, one of the greatest CDs of music by Elliott Carter I know (and I know many!). Oliver Knussen conducts the London Sinfonietta in Three Occasions for Orchestra, the Violin Concerto (with Ole Böhn as soloist) and the Concerto for Orchestra.

Superb!

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: Dry Brett Kavanaugh on June 24, 2024, 07:37:05 AMProkofiev SY2. Leinsdorf/Boston.

Coincidentally, this book has arrived today.

ritter

Quote from: Dry Brett Kavanaugh on June 24, 2024, 01:08:51 PMCoincidentally, this book has arrived today.

I should get that Prokofiev / Leinsdorf set, as I've only read good things about it.

I saw Leinsdorf conduct Das Rheingold and Die Walküre Siegfried at the Metropolitan Opera in the early 80s. It felt (or rather, was) like a direct connection to an earlier era of Wagner interpretation of the highest calibre.

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: ritter on June 24, 2024, 01:13:15 PMI should get that Prokofiev / Leinsdorf set, as I've only read good things about it.

I saw Leinsdorf conduct Das Rheingold and Die Walküre at the Metropolitan Opera in the early 80s. It felt (or rather, was) like a direct connection to an earlier era of Wagner interpretation of the highest calibre.

Oh, I'm envious!

Karl Henning

Quote from: Lisztianwagner on June 24, 2024, 10:09:44 AMIgor Stravinsky
Mass for Mixed Chorus and Double Wind Quintet

Trinity Boys Choir, English Bach Festival Chorus
Leonard Bernstein & Members of the English Bach Festival Orchestra

Fabulous piece! Notable performance!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Irons

Elgar: Cello Concerto.

A fine recording in all respects of this great work. Plenty of punch from LPO conducted by Del Mar. I love the iconic du Pre/Barbirolli recording but I think Cohen captures the essence of what Elgar meant to a greater degree. For listeners who find du Pre too Romantically rich Cohen would be an excellent choice.

I must confess didn't know of the existence of Elegy For Strings let alone heard the piece. 
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Roasted Swan

Quote from: Irons on June 24, 2024, 01:18:44 PMElgar: Cello Concerto.

A fine recording in all respects of this great work. Plenty of punch from LPO conducted by Del Mar. I love the iconic du Pre/Barbirolli recording but I think Cohen captures the essence of what Elgar meant to a greater degree. For listeners who find du Pre too Romantically rich Cohen would be an excellent choice.

I must confess didn't know of the existence of Elegy For Strings let alone heard the piece.

That "In the South" famously recorded in a single take!  Excellent disc - and some of my favourite Elgar alongside the two CFP/Handley/LPO Symphonies....

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Very good performance in technical term, but IMHO there is no feeling and aesthetics. Maybe only me.

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: foxandpeng on June 24, 2024, 02:02:32 AMI feel less like a Philistine having read this 🙂. If you aren't immediately engaged, I might not be alone in my mediocre reception of many of HB's works. I don't want to discount him, but I have my struggles!

I particularly dislike #1. But that's because it feels too long and has too many vocals. Like #5 with the baritone. Hard work.

I will keep trying 😀

No. 5 is not a favorite of mine either.

Sure, keep trying, we all feel and perceive music differently and perhaps one day we can have an epiphany about his music.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: kyjo on June 24, 2024, 08:34:01 AMMost of the rest sound too chaotic for my tastes.

In my particular case, I would add the epithet rambling too.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Symphonic Addict

Arnell: Symphonies 6 and 7

The 6th has its moments, but it doesn't leave a lasting impression. The 7th, on the other hand, inhabits a more heroic spirit and is much more to my taste. Martin Yates did a remarkable work by completing it.

Sviridov: Piano Trio in A minor

This composer was taught by Shostakovich and his music shows it, albeit Sviridov imprints more lyricism and less bittersweet irony. There's also a Piano Quintet on the same disc and is quite good and powerful as well.

Noam Chomsky

brewski

Quote from: kyjo on June 24, 2024, 08:52:45 AMThat Hyperion recording is desert-island material for me! Britten's three works for piano and orchestra - the Piano Concerto, Diversions, and Young Apollo - are amongst his most brilliant, effervescent, and approachable works. And they receive superb performances by Osborne and the
BBC Scottish SO under Volkov!

Wow, desert-island material! I am really looking forward to the Piano Concerto and Diversions — maybe later tonight. There are very few Britten works that haven't moved me.

-Bruce
"I set down a beautiful chord on paper—and suddenly it rusts."
—Alfred Schnittke (1934-1998)

Linz

Bruckner Symphony No. 4 in E Flat Major, 1880 (aka 1878/80), Ed. Robert Haas, Berliner Philharmoniker, Bernard Haitink

VonStupp

Gustav Mahler
Symphony 1 in D Major
London SO - Georg Solti

VS

"All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff."

foxandpeng

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on June 24, 2024, 01:42:16 PMNo. 5 is not a favorite of mine either.

Sure, keep trying, we all feel and perceive music differently and perhaps one day we can have an epiphany about his music.

Agreed!

In other news, Arnell is a long standing favourite, and I appreciate Sviridov very much. and have found some helpful connections to his Canticles and Prayers.
"A quiet secluded life in the country, with the possibility of being useful to people ... then work which one hopes may be of some use; then rest, nature, books, music, love for one's neighbour — such is my idea of happiness"

Tolstoy

Lisztianwagner

William Alwyn
Symphony No.4

Richard Hickox & London Symphony Orchestra

"You cannot expect the Form before the Idea, for they will come into being together." - Arnold Schönberg

DavidW

Pettersson-- viola concerto (a formidable, challenging work) and the great 7th.

Here just listen to this moving, beautiful melody at bar 512 from the 7th (skip to 29:02 or click on the link instead)
https://youtu.be/6U53YPn0b_I?si=HcZ1X1f2FiKb8xE9&t=1743

Symphonic Addict

Chausson: Concert for piano, violin and string quartet

A word that describes this work pretty well: passion!

Noam Chomsky

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: foxandpeng on June 24, 2024, 02:51:38 PMAgreed!

In other news, Arnell is a long standing favourite, and I appreciate Sviridov very much. and have found some helpful connections to his Canticles and Prayers.

Sviridov is more famous for the choral works indeed, which according to many people are gorgeous. I haven't heard the pieces you mentioned, only The Snowstorm and that CD with his chamber compositions.

Noam Chomsky

Bachtoven

This is the first recording I've heard by this excellent duo. Very good sound, too. Qobuz.