What are you listening 2 now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, September 23, 2019, 05:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Traverso

Bach

Concerto No.6

I still have this luxury edition complete with a Facsimile of the handwritten music notation.

Linz

Henri Dutilleux Symphony No. 1 and Symphony No. 2, "Le Double" Orchestre de Paris, Daniel Barenboim

Traverso

Neidhart

Neidhart's poems are usually divided into Sommerlieder ("summer songs") and Winterlieder ("winter songs"). The summer songs open with a description of the season, followed by a dance on the village green and a love episode dealing with a knight's (Neidhart's) conquest of a village belle. The winter songs, usually more satirical, describe a dance in a farmhouse and ridicule the boorish peasant youths who are the knight's rivals for the village beauty. A winter song often ends with a brawl. The novelty of Neidhart's settings and his coarse humour inspired many imitators, and mockery of the peasants became a popular theme. In the 15th century many spurious satires of peasants were attributed to him.

Todd

Wrapping up this set for the first full run-through since I bought it in 2008.  It's a very nice set, but I have two Dowland lute music cycles - because, you know, why not - along with a smattering of other recordings, and I just don't reach for it much.  Maybe I revisit it in its entirety in 2040.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Prokofiev: Alexander Nevsky.
Chicago Symphony Orchestra, Fritz Reiner.

VonStupp

Johann Nepomuk Hummel
Piano Concerto in A Major, S4/W24
Piano Concerto in F Major, op. post. 1
Theme and Variations in F Major, op. 97

Howard Shelley, piano
London Mozart Players

VS

"All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff."

Karl Henning

Quote from: JBS on June 24, 2024, 06:24:07 PMArrived today, so into the CD player it goes.

In my mind I always thought of this as a work of the 1950s or 1960s, but from the liner notes I learn Tippett wrote it during World War II, and the specific impulse was Kristallnacht.
If I once knew that (when in Petersburg I read a Tippett bio) I'd forgotten.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Karl Henning

Quote from: Dry Brett Kavanaugh on June 25, 2024, 05:40:32 AMProkofiev: Alexander Nevsky.

Ooh, I'll cue that up, too!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

DavidW

Quote from: steve ridgway on June 24, 2024, 09:30:29 PMSchnittke: Quintet For Piano, Two Violins, Viola And Cello

I listened to that recently, but the Berman/Vermeer recording.

DavidW

Thread duty: vol 7 of Byrd Moroney set:

SonicMan46

Corelli, Arcangelo (1653-1713) - just selections below from my small collection of about a dozen recordings which actually include all of his opus numbers listed below; Op. 5 & 6 probably his most famous - now I own the Op. 5 set as the usual violin sonatas, but the second 2 pics show wind transcriptions/transpositions w/ flute on the Tactus CD and just recorder/harpischord on the last image; despite the goofy picture on the cover, Stefan Temmingh is amazing on the recorder.  Dave :)

QuoteOpus 1: 12 sonate da chiesa (trio sonatas for 2 violins and continuo) (Rome 1681)
Opus 2: 12 sonate da camera (trio sonatas for 2 violins and continuo) (Rome 1685)
Opus 3: 12 sonate da chiesa (trio sonatas for 2 violins and continuo) (Rome 1689)
Opus 4: 12 sonate da camera (trio sonatas for 2 violins and continuo) (Rome 1694)
Opus 5: 12 (6 sonate da chiesa and 6 sonate da camera for violin and continuo) (Rome 1700)
Opus 6: 12 concerti grossi (written in the 1680s, publ. Amsterdam 1714)
op. post.: nearly a half dozen works (Source)

Karl Henning

Quote from: SonicMan46 on June 25, 2024, 07:50:47 AMCorelli, Arcangelo (1653-1713) - just selections below from my small collection of about a dozen recordings which actually include all of his opus numbers listed below; Op. 5 & 6 probably his most famous - now I own the Op. 5 set as the usual violin sonatas, but the second 2 pics show wind transcriptions/transpositions w/ flute on the Tactus CD and just recorder/harpischord on the last image; despite the goofy picture on the cover, Stefan Temmingh is amazing on the recorder.  Dave :)

That Avison Ensemble disc is brilliant!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Roasted Swan

Quote from: Irons on June 25, 2024, 01:56:29 AMI was not aware of that, thanks. An excellent series of Elgar recordings from CfP with striking artwork of scenes from Manchester by Adolphe Valette.

I agree about the artwork and then they spoit the "run" of nice covers with this one.....!

a famous photo with an odd filter!  But tbh another excellent recording.  Then the Falstaff was good musically but pretty rubbish art-work-wise too!

DavidW

Lisztianwagner

Ralph Vaughan Williams
Symphony No. 5

Sir Adrian Boult & London Philharmonic Orchestra

"You cannot expect the Form before the Idea, for they will come into being together." - Arnold Schönberg

Florestan

"Great music is that which penetrates the ear with facility and leaves the memory with difficulty. Magical music never leaves the memory." — Thomas Beecham

Karl Henning

Quote from: Dry Brett Kavanaugh on June 25, 2024, 05:40:32 AMProkofiev: Alexander Nevsky.

Very nice, and I hadn't listened to the piece in an age.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Spotted Horses

Koechlin, Divertissemente, Suite en Quatuor, SWR

Lovely, brief works for winds (and piano). Starting to push my threshold for repose at times, but rewarding.

Traverso

Byrd

CD 1

This time not Moroney but Pieter Jan Belder.

Linz

George Enescu Symphony No. 2 in A Major, Op. 17, Romanian Rhapsody in A Major, Op. 11 No. 1 and Romanian Rhapsody in D major, Op. 11 No. 2, Romanian National Radio Orchestra, Horia Andreescu