What are you listening 2 now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, September 23, 2019, 05:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Harry

Music from the Peterhouse Partbooks, volume 1.

Hugh Aston (c1485-1558)
Robert Jones (fl1520-35)
John Mason (c1480-1548)

Blue Heron Scott Metcalfe.
Recorded September, 2009 at the Church of the Redeemer, Chestnut Hill, Massachusetts.

Apart from the fact that it is a bit to closely recorded, and the choir a tad to large, the balance is nevertheless good. But a few to many sopranos produce a lot of sound pressure, and believe it or not but the guys are somewhat lost in it all. Me thinks they are mirroring themselves a bit too much to the English church choirs, who think in sound clusters.
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

Linz

Bruckner Symphony No. 5 in B Flat Major, 1878 Version Ed. Leopold Nowak, Royal Concertgebouw Orchestra, Amsterdam, Eugen Jochum

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Linz

BruckneFerdinand Leitnerr Symphony No. 6 in A Major, 1881 Version. Ed. Leopold Nowak, SWR Sinfonieorchester Baden-Baden und Freiburg, Ferdinand Leitner

vandermolen

Quote from: Karl Henning on September 02, 2024, 10:28:06 AMMyaskovsky
Piano Sonata № 5 in B, Op. 64 № 1
Murray McLachlan
Great work! Very moving.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Lisztianwagner

Richard Wagner
Tannhäuser, act 1^

André Cluytens & Orchester der Bayreuther Festspiele

"You cannot expect the Form before the Idea, for they will come into being together." - Arnold Schönberg

ritter

Joining the bicentennial celebrations :)

Anton Bruckner: Symphony No. 7 in E major. Bruno Walter conducts the Columbia Symphony Orchestra.

Disc 15 of this set:

Linz

Bruckner Symphony No. 7 in E Major, 1885 Version. Ed.Leopold Nowak, Saito Kinan Orchestra, Seiji Ozawa

NumberSix

Elisabeth Schwartzkopf: Bach Cantatas

I have listened to this one a few times before. Good stuff. I don't know Bach cantatas. They all sound the same to me.  :P  But I like when she sings them.

NumberSix

Quote from: Linz on September 04, 2024, 10:59:47 AMBruckneFerdinand Leitnerr Symphony No. 6 in A Major, 1881 Version. Ed. Leopold Nowak, SWR Sinfonieorchester Baden-Baden und Freiburg, Ferdinand Leitner

Sept 4th. Are we meant to be listening to Bruckner today?

There's a Celibidache 7th that's calling my name. . .

Bachtoven

NumberSix

Bach: Cantata BWV 208 - Aria "Schafe können sicher weiden"
Elisabeth Schwarzkopf

Oof, this is niiiiiiiiiice.

I am now on my 3rd play-through.

Linz

Bruckner Symphony No. 8 in C Minor, 1887/90 Mixed Versions. Ed. Robert Haas, Boston Symphony Orchestra, Erich Leinsdorf

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Lisztianwagner

Anton Bruckner
Symphony No.7

Herbert von Karajan & Berliner Philharmoniker

"You cannot expect the Form before the Idea, for they will come into being together." - Arnold Schönberg

Linz

Bruckner Symphony No. 9 in D Minor, 1894 Original Version. Ed. Benjamin-Gunnar Cohrs, 1981-83 Finale Completion by William Carragan - Revised 2006, Tokyo New City Orchestra, Akiro Naito

NumberSix

Bruckner: Symphony No. 7
Steinberg, Pittsburgh Symphony Orchestra

In understand today is some Bruckner anniversary. (Birthday? Deathday?) I was going to stream a Celibidache 7th, but then I stumbled across this one and decided to give it a go. Starting with the "Overture in G minor".

ETA: I believe it's birthday 200. That's, like, a milestone, or something!

brewski

Bruckner: Locus Iste (VOCES8). Though Bruckner's symphonies are incomparable, his choral writing is equally mesmerizing, and this motet is a fine example.

-Bruce
"I set down a beautiful chord on paper—and suddenly it rusts."
—Alfred Schnittke (1934-1998)

brewski

Bruckner: Christus factus est (Kings College Choir / Sir Stephen Cleobury, conductor). Another of the composer's sublime motets. As much as I adore the symphonies, these choral gems are right up there, too.

-Bruce
"I set down a beautiful chord on paper—and suddenly it rusts."
—Alfred Schnittke (1934-1998)

VonStupp

Heitor Villa-Lobos
Five Preludes
Suite Populaire Brésilienne
Twelve Études
Anders Miolin - guitar

Not my normal listening, but not unpleasant in the least.
VS

"All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff."