What are you listening 2 now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, September 23, 2019, 05:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Linz and 8 Guests are viewing this topic.

Traverso

Lisztianwagner

Richard Wagner
Tannhäuser, act 2^ & 3^

André Cluytens & Orchester der Bayreuther Festspiele

"You cannot expect the Form before the Idea, for they will come into being together." - Arnold Schönberg

André

Quote from: DavidW on September 04, 2024, 06:43:52 AMMy Bruckner marathon will begin with the Honeck 9th:

Yesterday (B-Day) I didn't have access to my CDs, but the radio played Manfred Honeck's B9 with the Elb-Philharmonie, a concert broadcast from last spring. While I didn't go for every single conducting decision he made (I found the accelerando in the first climax in I a bit jarring) it was both a moving, powerful and, ultimately, cathartic experience. Makes me want to explore this disc.

André

Quote from: Linz on September 04, 2024, 10:59:47 AMBruckneFerdinand Leitnerr Symphony No. 6 in A Major, 1881 Version. Ed. Leopold Nowak, SWR Sinfonieorchester Baden-Baden und Freiburg, Ferdinand Leitner

My favourite B6

ritter

The Mandelring Quartett plays French string quartets: Debussy's, and No. 1 & 2 by Jean Rivier.

SonicMan46

Reicha, Anton (1770-1836) - own just over 20 discs of Reicha (see attachment), nearly all 'windy' music and just over half in the 12-CD box of his 24 Wind Quintets w/ the Westwood Wind Quintet (there is competition with two other groups). Bio below mentioning some of his prodigious output (List HERE).

At the moment, listening to the recordings below - will continue with others later today and likely in the morning - a few months ago, I went through the Westwood box which is a delight.  Dave

QuoteAnton Reicha was born in Prague. An associate of Joseph Haydn and Ludwig van Beethoven, Reicha's reputation lies primarily with his 25 wind quintets and his theoretical writings on music. His copious chamber music includes an octet for strings and winds, ten string quintets, thirty-seven string quartets, five quintets for wind and strings, several piano trios and violin sonatas, and a large body of solo piano music. There are also eight symphonies, three large-scale choral works, and eight operas. It has been said that Reicha is to the wind quintet what Haydn is to the string quartet – he almost single-handedly established the combination of flute, oboe, clarinet, horn, and bassoon as an important form. In later life, as professor of counterpoint and fugue at the Paris Conservatoire, Reicha taught Hector Berlioz, Franz Liszt, Charles Gounod, and César Franck, and many others. (Source)

vandermolen

Shostakovich: Symphony No.11 'The Year 1905'
Maris Jansons with The Philadelphia Orchestra
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

NumberSix

Schubert: Piano Sonata No. 16
Wilhelm Kempff

NumberSix

Holst: Egdon Heath
Andrew Davis, BBC Symphony Orchestra & Chorus

foxandpeng

Gerald Finzi
Cello Concerto
Howard Griffiths
Northern Sinfonia
Naxos

Today has felt like a lighter day, musically, although that may just be my perspective. Enjoyable, nonetheless, and undoubtedly, in this case, more complex than British pastoralia.
"A quiet secluded life in the country, with the possibility of being useful to people ... then work which one hopes may be of some use; then rest, nature, books, music, love for one's neighbour — such is my idea of happiness"

Tolstoy

Bachtoven

Madiel

Sibelius as well.

Ten pieces, op.24
Bagatelles, "op.34" (they're much later pieces than that)
Ten pieces, op.58

I finally have the ability to edit my signature again. But no, I've no idea what I want to say here right now.

Madiel

Probably the first ever Holmboe recording.

I finally have the ability to edit my signature again. But no, I've no idea what I want to say here right now.

Harry

Johann Pezel (1639-1694).

Opus Musicum Sonatarum Praestantissimarum Senis Instrumentis Instructum. (Musical Works of Splendid Sonatas for Ancient Instruments)
"The Alphabet Sonatas"

ACRONYM.
Recorded in Buckley Recital Hall, Amherst College, August 23-25, 2012.

Sporadically I heard bits and bobs, of his music, but never two entire CD's of this unknown composer. And it is not a disappointment at all. Well crafted music, with enough of a story to tell. The music meanders through a multitude of melodies and harmonies. Pezel constructed a very solid basis on which he build his art, and considering the time he lived in quite interesting for me. As the music, the performance is also solid and a bit strict, but that fits the music perfectly. Sound is excellent.
Well worth my time.
Kivie Cahn-Lipman, did the booklet notes, and rather interesting it is, well written and informative.

Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

Que

Nice, very nice.  I didn't even know of this recording - but the wonders of streaming....  :laugh:

Harry

Quote from: Que on September 06, 2024, 12:16:51 AM

Nice, very nice.  I didn't even know of this recording - but the wonders of streaming....  :laugh:

All the recordings Gothic Voices made are on Qobuz, and I certainly selected them all to be listened too, although I must admit that my listening list is long, very long......

Roasted Swan

Quote from: Bachtoven on September 05, 2024, 04:04:53 PMDisc 2: No.2 and 5.

I like this cycle a lot.  But I have the impression that it has been rather sidelined not just by Vanska II but also more recent Paavo Jarvi/Klaus Mäkelä plus several others.  But there is a straight-forward unvarnished directness to Kamu's approach that for me chimes with the essence of Sibelius......

Harry

Quote from: Roasted Swan on September 06, 2024, 01:26:33 AMI like this cycle a lot.  But I have the impression that it has been rather sidelined not just by Vanska II but also more recent Paavo Jarvi/Klaus Mäkelä plus several others.  But there is a straight-forward unvarnished directness to Kamu's approach that for me chimes with the essence of Sibelius......

That was also my conclusion after listening to the whole cycle.

Harry

Ottorino Respighi.
Orchestral works.
See back cover for details.
Recorded: October 2002 at Studio 7, New Broadcasting House, Manchester.

Pure joy, exquisitely and exuberantly played, a kaleidoscope of colors, plus a beautiful palette of timbres that dazzle ones ears. A demonstration recording and a superb performance, this is a full broadside hit at the right place. Noseda is a very good conductor.

Que

Quote from: Harry on September 06, 2024, 12:25:09 AMAll the recordings Gothic Voices made are on Qobuz, and I certainly selected them all to be listened too, although I must admit that my listening list is long, very long......

This is a nice one. I do like their Early Anglo-French and English Renaissance stuff. I'm less convinced by them in Franco-Flemish repertoire.

Thread duty: