What are you listening 2 now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, September 23, 2019, 05:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bachtoven and 12 Guests are viewing this topic.

Papy Oli

Good morning all,

Starting the day with Onslow's Piano Trios Vol.2.

Olivier

Que

.[asin]B012UOD7E4[/asin]
Concerti Grossi V with Igor Ruhadze and the Ensemble Violini Capricciosi

Florestan

Quote from: Que on May 29, 2021, 01:09:46 AM
.[asin]B012UOD7E4[/asin]
Concerti Grossi V with Igor Ruhadze and the Ensemble Violini Capricciosi

A very fine box set.
When I'm creating at the piano, I tend to feel happy; but - the eternal dilemma - how can we be happy amid the unhappiness of others? I'd do everything I could to give everyone a moment of happiness. That's what's at the heart of my music. — Nino Rota

Florestan

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on May 28, 2021, 05:44:19 PM
Piano Concerto No. 4

An underrated cycle IMO. Simply I can't tire of this unabashed romanticism. It speaks straight to my soul and heart.

When I'm creating at the piano, I tend to feel happy; but - the eternal dilemma - how can we be happy amid the unhappiness of others? I'd do everything I could to give everyone a moment of happiness. That's what's at the heart of my music. — Nino Rota

Florestan

Quote from: ritter on May 28, 2021, 12:32:42 PM
Maria Tipo plays J. S. Bach's Partitas No. 1, 2 & 4 (BWV 825, 826, 828):

As above.

Papy Oli

Olivier

aligreto

Beethoven: String Quartets [Gewandhaus Quartet]

String Quartets Op. 18 4-6 No. 4 is particularly engaging and buoyantly presented.

aligreto

Quote from: Undersea on May 28, 2021, 04:25:55 PM

Thanks a lot for your reviews of this set, they are very helpful!.
I was able to buy a copy of the set today so I will be able to listen to it soon too. :)

Great  8)

I have no doubt that you will enjoy it.  ;)

Que

Disc 9 has the remainder of the sonatas written for the Augenbrugger sisters, published in 1780.
Tom Beghin plays a fortepiano after Anton Walter, Vienna 1782.

aligreto

Palestrina: Sabbato sancto [Pro Cantione Antiqua]

Simply divine.

Mandryka

Quote from: Que on May 29, 2021, 12:09:26 AM
Another double bill of Purcell harpsichord suites:

Kind of what I expected: generally excellent, well phrased, but a bit stately and measured.
Is Gilbert sufficiently sensitive to the French and Italian influences?

Tilney has a preference for early instruments with a small and rather dry sound. 
No exception here, he reportedly plays a pre-1705 spinet. The 1979 recording doesn't help to give the sound more air or sonic splendour.
Though Tilney likes defined accentuations, his playing is flowing. The slow mvts are pretty slow.
The sound is unfortunately an outright disqualification for this recording. A curate's egg. But (unlike in Gilbert's case), I kept listening after my ears adjusted. So Tilney definitely did something right!  :)

I think you may like Fernando de Luca

https://www.saladelcembalo.org/archivio/a2014_13.htm
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Iota

Quote from: "Harry" on May 28, 2021, 09:06:05 AM
Anton Bruckner.
Symphony No. O in D minor. Second version 1869.

Tapiola Sinfonietta, Mario Venzago.

To me this is how Bruckner must sound, and he would recognize when played before him. The orchestras he could muster were hardly above 30 players, most of them used Gut strings, and the instruments like wood winds and brass locally produced and differently tuned at that.. So the massive performances these day were propelled by conductors starting shortly after Bruckners death, were winds and brass were doubled, including strings, and with that all nuances in his works were gone. Hardly the Bruckner he really was. Don't get me wrong, I have the Karajan recordings and think them something special, but I am not under the Illusion that this is the real thing, its Karajan at his best, but Karajan!
That said, I am amazed how much detail is surfacing, and I understand the musical connections between him and previous composers, which is hardly recognizable with modern interpretations.
All phrases have meaning now, all melodies fit in the total structure, and are no islands on their own. This is how Bruckner should sound. I know that many of you will disagree with me, but I stand for what I wrote...this is Bruckner!
Venzago is in m eyes a hero. He made divers orchestras play the stars from heaven, and is such a sensitive conductor, that my hearts fills with overflowing joy when the first notes come through my speakers. And I say Amen to it, finally Bruckner.
State of the Art Sound as a bonus.

I've heard a few Venzago Bruckner recordings over the years and liked them, but thanks to your interesting post I decided to revisit him with Bruckner 5 and the Tapiola Sinfonietta on CPO, and I must say I've never felt so convinced by his way before, the music just seems so alive.
His fleet, supple approach seems very right too, it makes the music sound so natural. The connection with Schubert had never sounded quite as clear to me either. So a very welcome reappraisal indeed, and the other symphonies now beckon.

bhodges

Quote from: Iota on May 29, 2021, 05:15:46 AM
I've heard a few Venzago Bruckner recordings over the years and liked them, but thanks to your interesting post I decided to revisit him with Bruckner 5 and the Tapiola Sinfonietta on CPO, and I must say I've never felt so convinced by his way before, the music just seems so alive.
His fleet, supple approach seems very right too, it makes the music sound so natural. The connection with Schubert had never sounded quite as clear to me either. So a very welcome reappraisal indeed, and the other symphonies now beckon.

I liked Harry's post, too, and the rationale behind it. Funny, I grew up on Karajan's recordings, too, and still like them for their plush silkiness, but after years of hearing other interpretations, I wonder if a leaner approach might be equally satisfying, and further, encourage listeners who dislike Bruckner to give him another chance.

I'm not familiar with any of those Vengazo recordings, so will try to remedy soon.

--Bruce

Iota

Quote from: Brewski on May 29, 2021, 05:34:27 AM
I liked Harry's post, too, and the rationale behind it. Funny, I grew up on Karajan's recordings, too, and still like them for their plush silkiness, but after years of hearing other interpretations, I wonder if a leaner approach might be equally satisfying, and further, encourage listeners who dislike Bruckner to give him another chance.

I'm not familiar with any of those Vengazo recordings, so will try to remedy soon.

--Bruce

It certainly worked unequivocally for me on this occasion. A marvellous freshness to it all. I'll see how it holds out when I visit other symphonies, in other moods. Though there seems no reason why a range of different approaches shouldn't satisfy with such remarkable music.

Biffo

Janacek: String Quartet No 1 Kreutzer Sonata - Quartetto Energie Nove

Mirror Image

Selections from this new arrival:

Absolutely gorgeous. Tilling has a remarkable voice.

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Karl Henning

Mussorgsky
Pictures at an Exhibition (arr. Ravel)
Night on Bare Mt

Dukas
L'apprenti sorcier
NY Phil
Lenny
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Sergeant Rock

Popov Symphony No. 1, Iimori conducting the Tokyo SO

https://www.youtube.com/v/Uz13SglnxEI

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: Dry Brett Kavanaugh on May 29, 2021, 06:44:04 AM
Jef van Hoof.

His music is very enjoyable. I particularly like symphonies 1, 2 and 4.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky