What are you listening 2 now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, September 23, 2019, 05:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SonicMan46

Taneyev's Symphonies - Sanderling on Naxos vs. Polyansky on Chandos off a Spotify playlist; reviews attached for those interested - trying to decide which set to purchase? - Dave :)

kyjo

Quote from: Florestan on May 27, 2021, 11:59:36 PM
Are you familiar with this recording, Kyle?

Nope, I'm not as of yet. I'm looking forward to discovering his first two piano trios. I'm a sucker for French music of that period, especially chamber music!
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

steve ridgway

Grisey - Partiels. Les Espaces Acoustiques started off very slowly but this third movement has turned much more dramatic.

aligreto

Palestrina: Feria V & Feria VI in coena Domini [Pro Cantione Antiqua]

This is, I must say, the type of divine music by Palestrina that I really admire. It is hauntingly beautiful and excellently presented here.

aligreto

Quote from: SonicMan46 on May 28, 2021, 08:32:12 AM
Taneyev's Symphonies - Sanderling on Naxos vs. Polyansky on Chandos off a Spotify playlist; reviews attached for those interested - trying to decide which set to purchase? - Dave :)

Cheers, Dave. I have downloaded and saved the reviews for investigation later.  :)

ritter

Quote from: Dry Brett Kavanaugh on May 28, 2021, 06:55:53 AM
...I have the ASV recording as well!
So do I! But sticking to the Etcetera disc: listening to the Halffter and the Gerhard, and skipping the Falla this time around.

Brahmsian

Quote from: SonicMan46 on May 28, 2021, 08:32:12 AM

Hmmm, interesting reading those reviews Dave.  Thanks for sharing.  Although mixed indeed, they seem to lean towards a preference to Polyansky (opposite of me).  :D

Harry

Pjotr Ilyich Tchaikovsky.

Orchestral Works, Volume II.

Symphony No. 2 in C minor, "Little Russian". 1879 version.
Overture in F major. 1866 version.
Festive Overture on the "Danish National Anthem in D major. 1892 version.
The Storm, (Groza) Overture, 1864.

Gothenburg SO, Neeme Järvi.

The second Symphony has remarkable melodies, daring, sublime, and orchestrated to a high level, one can expect from this composer. However insignificant a work, there is always plenty of fireworks, and orchestral high points. The "Little Russian" (meant was the Ukraine) is a masterwork, and not only the Fourth, Fifth or the doomladen Sixth. Every Symphony is a precious gem to me, and Järvi brings out the best of them. His tempi are spot on, and the energy is well dosed. He knows them almost by heart, and this is the quality you hear above all else. The Overture and Festive Overture are nice enough, but not written from the heart, thus merely technical exercises, brilliantly done though.
The Storm is  a good example of when he put his heart in it, all the many felicities he could muster are in this composition.
Fine BIS recording!

Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

Harry

Quote from: kyjo on May 28, 2021, 08:33:26 AM
Nope, I'm not as of yet. I'm looking forward to discovering his first two piano trios. I'm a sucker for French music of that period, especially chamber music!

I love this recording!

Harry

Anton Bruckner.
Symphony No. O in D minor. Second version 1869.

Tapiola Sinfonietta, Mario Venzago.

To me this is how Bruckner must sound, and he would recognize when played before him. The orchestras he could muster were hardly above 30 players, most of them used Gut strings, and the instruments like wood winds and brass locally produced and differently tuned at that.. So the massive performances these day were propelled by conductors starting shortly after Bruckners death, were winds and brass were doubled, including strings, and with that all nuances in his works were gone. Hardly the Bruckner he really was. Don't get me wrong, I have the Karajan recordings and think them something special, but I am not under the Illusion that this is the real thing, its Karajan at his best, but Karajan!
That said, I am amazed how much detail is surfacing, and I understand the musical connections between him and previous composers, which is hardly recognizable with modern interpretations.
All phrases have meaning now, all melodies fit in the total structure, and are no islands on their own. This is how Bruckner should sound. I know that many of you will disagree with me, but I stand for what I wrote...this is Bruckner!
Venzago is in m eyes a hero. He made divers orchestras play the stars from heaven, and is such a sensitive conductor, that my hearts fills with overflowing joy when the first notes come through my speakers. And I say Amen to it, finally Bruckner.
State of the Art Sound as a bonus.

steve ridgway

Quote from: "Harry" on May 28, 2021, 09:06:05 AM
To me this is how Bruckner must sound, and he would recognize when played before him. The orchestras he could muster were hardly above 30 players, most of them used Gut strings, and the instruments like wood winds and brass locally produced and differently tuned at that.

Very interesting Harry. So the audiences have actually become used to "derivative works". :-\

Harry

Ludwig Von Beethoven

Complete Symphonies are other Orchestral Works.

CD I.

The Creatures of Prometheus.
Symphony No 1 & 2.

Anima Eterna, Jos van Immerseel.

Again a set with music played on authentic instruments, and how fabulous this is done. I have plenty complete sets of Beethoven's Symphonies, authentic and modern, but this set tops them all. Immerseel does a foot wrong, he returns the works to the masterpieces they are without gimmickry, or added personal conductor issues. And shine they do, for Immerseel knows his business and applies his knowledge at great length. Put state of the Art sound to the list and you have Beethoven as intended. Again many will disagree but that is in the nature of things. I celebrate this set.

Harry

Quote from: steve ridgway on May 28, 2021, 09:16:13 AM
Very interesting Harry. So the audiences have actually become used to "derivative works". :-\

Yes alas!

ritter

More Ernesto Halffter: the late (1969) and quite wonderful Guitar Concerto. Ignacio Rodes is the soloist, and he's accompanied by the English Chamber Orchestra conducted by Edmon Colomer.

Papy Oli

From the Berglund Icon box :

Shostakovich - Fifth Symphony

Olivier

Harry

Jon Nordal.
Orchestral Works.

Choralis.
Adagio for Flute, Harp, Piano and String Orchestra.
Langnaetti.
Epitafion.
Leidsla.

Iceland SO. Johannes Gustavsson.

See my review 22-4-2021

Roasted Swan

Quote from: Papy Oli on May 28, 2021, 09:22:42 AM
From the Berglund Icon box :

Shostakovich - Fifth Symphony

GREAT box!

Artem

A new Russian composer for me.

ritter

Maria Tipo plays J. S. Bach's Partitas No. 1, 2 & 4 (BWV 825, 826, 828):

Klavier

Superb playing and sound (DSD64) and interesting repertoire. I was previously only familiar with Grieg's Ballade.

Geir TVEITT (1908-1981)
Aeolian Harp (1945) [16:06]
Christian SINDING (1856-1941)
Sonata (1909) [24:48]
Alf HARUM (1882-1972)
Eventyrland (1920) [20:39]
Edvard GRIEG (1843-1907)
Ballade Op. 24 (1876) [23:28]
Christian Grøvlen (piano)
rec. November 2019, Sofienberg Church, Norway.
2L RECORDS 2L-163- [85:06]