Quiz: Mystery scores

Started by Sean, August 27, 2007, 06:49:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Luke

Still no, for me, but it must be something on my laptop. Some filter from work? They don't normally filter out attachments here, but maybe that tango was just too lascivious for a school environment. I'll see when i get home.

Luke

They're working fine at home, so it must have been some work thing.

The second one looks a bit....off. Is it a transcription/arrangement/part of a film score/something similar?

BWV 1080

Quote from: Luke on June 09, 2023, 01:55:18 PMThey're working fine at home, so it must have been some work thing.

The second one looks a bit....off. Is it a transcription/arrangement/part of a film score/something similar?

Nope, but it's not a Tango (kind of funny to think of it played like one)

BWV 1080

The three pieces are different musically but share an important common attribute

Luke

I have an idea what it is but finding it hard to track the other two (if my idea is correct)

BWV 1080

There are videos on YouTube of the composers performing the other two tunes

Luke

I'll tell you what is odd - I've listened to quite a number of recordings of El enterriano now, they all cleave faithfully to the same tune, the same key, the same everything - but it is not the tune in the sheet music, nothing like it at all. Is this any connection to what you are hinting at?

Luke

A new series with a simple connection, and all relatively familiar names. I think once you've got one, you'll probably get most of them.

Luke

Luke

Luke

BWV 1080

Quote from: Luke on June 11, 2023, 09:14:34 AMI'll tell you what is odd - I've listened to quite a number of recordings of El enterriano now, they all cleave faithfully to the same tune, the same key, the same everything - but it is not the tune in the sheet music, nothing like it at all. Is this any connection to what you are hinting at?

No, think about why El enterriano is important

Luke

Yes, I have, I get that, that's the area I was exploring before. But the fact that all the recorded versions I can find bear no relation to it is plain weird!

BWV 1080

Quote from: Luke on June 11, 2023, 10:25:03 AMYes, I have, I get that, that's the area I was exploring before. But the fact that all the recorded versions I can find bear no relation to it is plain weird!

Also many people, depending on location, associate 1&2 with a specific period of the liturgical calendar

Luke

No takers on my new ones? I'd say number 4 is the easiest. If it helps, it's a Prelude.

BWV 1080

Quote from: Luke on June 11, 2023, 09:14:34 AMI'll tell you what is odd - I've listened to quite a number of recordings of El enterriano now, they all cleave faithfully to the same tune, the same key, the same everything - but it is not the tune in the sheet music, nothing like it at all. Is this any connection to what you are hinting at?

Also the source for my excerpt was IMSLP, supposedly this is Rosendo Mendizabal's published version

classicalgeek

I'm afraid I'm clueless on BWV1080's mystery scores.

As for yours, Luke, I'm still searching...

New mystery 1 - I thought it might be by CPE Bach... I found his polonaises in A major (there are three, two have been recorded), listened to them, and came up empty. I suppose it could be the unrecorded one (H 368), but that doesn't seem likely.

No idea on New mystery 2.

New mystery 3 - I Googled the lyrics and, short of it being a traditional Scottish song, I couldn't tell you much about it. Adding 'arrangement' to the search didn't help.

New mystery 4 - Looks a *lot* like Scriabin... but I checked out all of his preludes in G# minor and B major, and your score isn't any of those.

No idea on New mystery 5.

So much great music, so little time...

Original compositions and orchestrations: https://www.youtube.com/@jmbrannigan

BWV 1080

another 2 clues on mine -

the other two pieces would have been considered more disreputable than #3

you would be mocked if you played the rhythm in the pickup measure of #2 as notated

Luke

Quote from: classicalgeek on June 12, 2023, 01:01:49 PMNew mystery 4 - Looks a *lot* like Scriabin... but I checked out all of his preludes in G# minor and B major, and your score isn't any of those.

Interesting. That's all I can say. You're right....and wrong.

Karl Henning

Quote from: classicalgeek on June 12, 2023, 01:01:49 PMNew mystery 4 - Looks a *lot* like Scriabin...

I thought so, as well.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot