Diving into chamber music (and looking for recs)

Started by lordlance, December 22, 2023, 04:44:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lordlance

I would love to get more fortepiano performances of chamber pieces recommendations that are generally... busier, shall we say? Especially of the Mendelssohn piano Trios. 
If you are interested in listening to orchestrations of solo/chamber music, you might be interested in this thread.
Also looking for recommendations on neglected conductors thread.

Mandryka

Quote from: lordlance on July 24, 2024, 12:34:41 AMI would love to get more fortepiano performances of chamber pieces recommendations that are generally... busier, shall we say? Especially of the Mendelssohn piano Trios.

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

vandermolen

Try:
Cesar Frank Piano Quintet
Vaughan Williams Phantasy Quintet
Debussy/Ravel SQs
Bax Harp Quintet
Shostakovich Piano Trio/Piano Quintet
Prokofiev Overture on Hebrew Tunes (Chamber music version)
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Karl Henning

Quote from: vandermolen on July 30, 2024, 05:50:21 AMTry:
Cesar Frank Piano Quintet
Vaughan Williams Phantasy Quintet
Debussy/Ravel SQs
Bax Harp Quintet
Shostakovich Piano Trio/Piano Quintet
Prokofiev Overture on Hebrew Tunes (Chamber music version)
Given his aversion to the clarinet, the Prokofiev may not be a suitable recommendation. 
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Mandryka

Quote from: lordlance on July 24, 2024, 12:34:41 AMI would love to get more fortepiano performances of chamber pieces recommendations that are generally... busier, shall we say? Especially of the Mendelssohn piano Trios.

Unfortunately I can't find online samples for you, but two worth investigating are Daniel Isoir's reductions for chamber ensemble of three Mozart concertos, and the Faure cello sonatas with Peter Bruns and Roglit Ishay.

Jo498

I have not heard a HIP/Fortepiano recording of the Mendelssohn. The Schubert trios (and Trout quintet) have been done with fortepiano several times. Same goes for the Mozart trios and piano quartets (K 478, K 493)
You might also want to try the Hummel trios and piano quintet eflat minor and the early Mendelssohn piano quartets(op.1)

Of course there are lots of later romantic piano trios/quartets/quintets, some have been mentioned but they are usually done on modern instruments.
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

Mandryka

Quote from: Jo498 on July 31, 2024, 03:00:19 AMI have not heard a HIP/Fortepiano recording of the Mendelssohn.

There is one, I just don't remember it well enough to say anything about it. The Benvenue Trio. They've also recorded the Schumann trios -- I just saw that and will check it soon, and the Mendelssohn. There's also a Schumann one with the piano quartet and quintet which I have, but don't remember it -- the Michelangelo Piano Quartet.

Here's a bit of Brahms with an 1875 Bosendorfer.