Last Movie You Watched

Started by Drasko, April 06, 2007, 07:51:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

André and 9 Guests are viewing this topic.

Karl Henning

Always just a good time: The Blues Brothers
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

SonicMan46

The Big Easy (1986) - cast below (plot at link) - I watch this film every couple of years, just like the Cajun music used and the sizzling love story between Quaid and Barkin; also I've been to New Orleans nearly a dozen times over the decades and like the remembrances. A 4* Roger Ebert review for those interested.  Dave

P.S. I had an old DVD and just purchased a HD version from iTunes but was 'cheated'!  The movie was filmed in a 1.85 aspect ratio but was shown in 4:3 - need to send Apple a note! 

QuoteThe Big Easy is a 1986 American neo-noir romantic thriller film directed by Jim McBride and written by Daniel Petrie Jr. The film stars Dennis Quaid, Ellen Barkin, John Goodman, and Ned Beatty. The film was both set and shot on location in New Orleans, Louisiana. (Source)

Karl Henning

When I learnt that today is the 85th anniversary of the Blitz into Poland, I knew it was the day to re-watch Ernst Lubitsch's To Be or Not to Be.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

hopefullytrusting

Feeling a little anarchic (all rewatches):

Arlington Road
Commando
The Sum of All Fears
The Warriors
Passenger 57
Murder at 1600

(Just going to watch until I fall asleep, lol, but I'll at least get through the first.)

VonStupp

Holes (2003)
Shia LaBeouf, Jon Voight, Sigourney Weaver
Patricia Arquette, Dulé Hill, Henry Winkler

My daughter finished Louis Sachar's book, and since I hadn't seen this before, thought it a good time to watch.

Lots of character actors here, but Jon Voight is by far the most memorable, for better or worse.

Also, I haven't seen a plot, which here spans 100 years, wrapped up in a neat little bow like this in a long time.
VS

"All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff."

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Karl Henning

Quote from: Karl Henning on September 02, 2024, 04:35:21 PMKurosawa's Ikiru.
"No, I can't afford to hate people. I haven't got that kind of time."
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Brian

Quote from: Karl Henning on September 02, 2024, 04:35:21 PMKurosawa's Ikiru.
Just purchased my copy of this one. I was hoping covid would be the perfect time to catch up on a lot of classic movies...but now my partner has it too and she is not a movie person  :(

(It is, of course, the most selfish possible complaint to tell someone, "your illness is preventing me from using my illness to watch a bunch of movies"  ;D )

Karl Henning

Quote from: Brian on September 02, 2024, 07:12:50 PMJust purchased my copy of this one. I was hoping covid would be the perfect time to catch up on a lot of classic movies...but now my partner has it too and she is not a movie person  :(

(It is, of course, the most selfish possible complaint to tell someone, "your illness is preventing me from using my illness to watch a bunch of movies"  ;D )
When you can watch it, you'll love it.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Brian on September 02, 2024, 07:12:50 PMJust purchased my copy of this one. I was hoping covid would be the perfect time to catch up on a lot of classic movies...but now my partner has it too and she is not a movie person  :(

Sorry to hear that she has it too.  Careful though...delicate situation as you're both not feeling normal....and no blasting Beethoven's Ninth, Janacek's Sinfonietta, etc., right now.  ;)

Feel better,

PD

p.s.  And a double-batch of chicken soup sent your way [homemade stock, good-sized chunks of chicken (not over-cooked), some carrots, celery, garlic, and special seasonings, etc.]. 🙂
Pohjolas Daughter

Brian

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on September 02, 2024, 07:43:29 PMSorry to hear that she has it too.  Careful though...delicate situation as you're both not feeling normal....and no blasting Beethoven's Ninth, Janacek's Sinfonietta, etc., right now.  ;)

Feel better,

PD

p.s.  And a double-batch of chicken soup sent your way [homemade stock, good-sized chunks of chicken (not over-cooked), some carrots, celery, garlic, and special seasonings, etc.]. 🙂
I did actually blast Janacek's Sinfonietta solo in the car on the way to buy our covid tests at the pharmacy Saturday  ;D  ;D

There's nothing like homemade stock and homemade noodles in chicken soup...and the secret weapon, leeks! Homemade chicken soup vs. the store kind is like an orchestral work vs. the cell phone ringtone version of it.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Brian on September 02, 2024, 07:57:39 PMI did actually blast Janacek's Sinfonietta solo in the car on the way to buy our covid tests at the pharmacy Saturday  ;D  ;D

There's nothing like homemade stock and homemade noodles in chicken soup...and the secret weapon, leeks! Homemade chicken soup vs. the store kind is like an orchestral work vs. the cell phone ringtone version of it.
:laugh:  :laugh: I don't normally put noodles in mine; back to the kitchen tomorrow to make a new batch for you all....

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

hopefullytrusting

Quote from: hopefullytrusting on September 01, 2024, 07:34:00 PMFeeling a little anarchic (all rewatches):

Arlington Road
Commando
The Sum of All Fears
The Warriors
Passenger 57
Murder at 1600

Made it through all but the last two, not because I was tired, but because The Warriors is a perfect way to end a night.

All four of the films were excellent, but I was especially impressed by Arlington, which I'll rewatch sooner rather then later, and Sum minus any of the "sex" scenes, which were gratuitous, silly, and not remotely sexy - also, Liev and Morgan steal the show.

I rank Commando the lowest, but you get exactly what you expect from it - eliminate the daughter subplot, and it immediately gets better.

Cato

Quote from: Karl Henning on August 31, 2024, 07:23:09 PMAlways just a good time: The Blues Brothers.

If you watch it, you are automatically "on a mission from God!" 😇

Quote from: VonStupp on September 02, 2024, 01:56:52 PMHoles (2003)

Shia LaBeouf, Jon Voight, Sigourney Weaver
Patricia Arquette, Dulé Hill, Henry Winkler

My daughter finished Louis Sachar's book, and since I hadn't seen this before, thought it a good time to watch.

Lots of character actors here, but Jon Voight is by far the most memorable, for better or worse.

Also, I haven't seen a plot, which here spans 100 years, wrapped up in a neat little bow like this in a long time.
VS

Another movie much older than I thought!  Jon Voight was the only reason I sat through the ridiculous Jennifer Lopez movie Anaconda with my youngest son.  Jon Voight was fun to watch: apparently he knew the movie was idiotic and that Lopez was awful, but the payment for the mansion in Beverly Hills was due, and so he decided to have fun chewing the scenery and the film!

Recently...

Back when the Disney company still knew how to make a cartoon movie!*  And this is more than 30 years old!!!

Robin Williams was a phenomenon!  And imitating Ed Sullivan, Walter Brennan, and William F. Buckley was probably a stretch in 1992, but still fun!

* We sat through Wish and wished we could get our money back on the greatly discounted tickets!  There were basically no jokes, and the few that were included were awful.  Nobody laughed, not even the kids, some of whom were asleep in 15 minutes. Others started leaving with their parents within half an hour!  The "songs" were unmusical, too many unmetrical words chanted on one note usually.  We understood why it was not just a bomb, but an H-Bomb.

"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

Brian

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on September 02, 2024, 08:10:18 PM:laugh:  :laugh: I don't normally put noodles in mine; back to the kitchen tomorrow to make a new batch for you all....

PD
There is a downside to homemade noodles, which is they can absorb the broth and then the leftovers become stew instead of soup!

Karl Henning

Quote from: Cato on September 03, 2024, 03:50:15 AMRobin Williams was a phenomenon! 
Saw him recently in one of the short extras on the final disc of the Dick van Dyke show, a fundraiser Comic Relief which included a tribute to the DvD Show.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

VonStupp

Quote from: Cato on September 03, 2024, 03:50:15 AMAnother movie much older than I thought!  Jon Voight was the only reason I sat through the ridiculous Jennifer Lopez movie Anaconda with my youngest son.  Jon Voight was fun to watch: apparently he knew the movie was idiotic and that Lopez was awful, but the payment for the mansion in Beverly Hills was due, and so he decided to have fun chewing the scenery and the film!

Paychecks are good too. I think that is all Bruce Willis does nowadays. :laugh:

Quote from: Cato on September 03, 2024, 03:50:15 AMBack when the Disney company still knew how to make a cartoon movie!*  And this is more than 30 years old!!!

Aladdin is probably my favorite from the Disney Renaissance, even if Beauty and the Beast and The Lion King earn their classic status more handily.
"All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff."

LKB

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on September 02, 2024, 08:10:18 PM:laugh:  :laugh: I don't normally put noodles in mine; back to the kitchen tomorrow to make a new batch for you all....

PD

I know I'm tired now, l read poodles...
Mit Flügeln, die ich mir errungen...

Karl Henning

I expected the commentary both to be illuming, and to provoke another viewing: The Pink Panther ('06)
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: LKB on September 03, 2024, 11:58:15 AMI know I'm tired now, l read poodles...
Auuuuugggghhhh!  :o

Hope that you got a decent day's sleep by now.

PD
Pohjolas Daughter