I took a cello lesson today

Started by KevinP, July 17, 2024, 03:58:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LKB

Quote from: Luke on July 18, 2024, 04:05:55 AMIt's a beautiful clef, learn to love it!*

Alternatively, play it as if it's bass clef, only one string higher. This, of course, is no help when you're high up the A string, where most tenor clef stuff is. But you'll learn those notes quick enough because they're so common

Luke (sometime cellist)

* Beautiful, see?

Prelude to Tristan und Isolde, beautiful indeed.
Mit Flügeln, die ich mir errungen...

KevinP

re: tenor clef.

For someone with a degree in composition, I really should be more fluent in the clef. Since I'm now learning an instrument that uses it, I decided to finally learn it (as opposed to decipher it), even though I'm nowhere near the point where I need it for my cello playing.

I do see quite a bit of ledger lines here, but I think bassoon, trombone, etc. use them more.

Might be selling the cello in about a year because my sabbatical has just been approved, which will be spent in New Zealand starting a year from now.

My original plan was just to just keep it here, but my wife suggested selling it and getting a better one when I return. Won't argue with that.

KevinP

Not a complaint because I'm having fun,  but I'm surprised by how many things I've had to buy.

I mentioned USD250 for the cello, which included a bow and a bag.

But in addition, I've also bought:
* a mute (as I live in an apartment)
* rosin
* endpin stopper
* a chair
* a rug (Arguably I don't need the rug AND the endpin stopper, but the stopper is for learning posture, and the rug, like the mute, is for the neighbours)
* full-length mirror. Not essential but recommended from several different sources for beginners.