Should Members be able to lock threads?

Started by Spotted Horses, August 13, 2024, 09:09:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Todd

Quote from: (poco) Sforzando on August 14, 2024, 07:52:27 AMWho can forget the late Mel Merkel, aka Iago, who could never resist ridiculing every other poster but who howled like a wounded elephant if anyone made fun of him?

I miss Iago.

One thing that is evident in this delightful gripefest of a thread is that most GMG posters take themselves way too seriously.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

ritter

Can we please stop discussing members' personal features? A thread about whether threads can be locked or not is perfectly OK, but turning this into a bashing-fest is quite another issue. We've been through this before, let's please not repeat it.

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

(poco) Sforzando

Quote from: ritter on August 14, 2024, 07:59:44 AMCan we please stop discussing members' personal features? A thread about whether threads can be locked or not is perfectly OK, but turning this into a bashing-fest is quite another issue. We've been through this before, let's please not repeat it.

I just didn't want to see Todd unfairly singled out. You can delete my post if you wish.
"I don't know what sforzando means, though it clearly means something."

Spotted Horses

I sought to avoid personalities in my original posts, and focus on forum policy.

In one sense the limitations of the forum software are the ultimate "law" on the forum, but that doesn't mean that anything the software allows is ok.

I know that the forum owner favors a hands-off approach for moderators. Would he approve a forum member using a quirk of the forum software to appoint him or herself as de-facto moderator and exclude the contributions of other forum members from a thread?

ShineyMcShineShine

Quote from: LKB on August 14, 2024, 07:38:17 AM
QuoteI don't have any beef with Todd...

You should, I'll PM you with the reason.

LOL

hopefullytrusting

Quote from: Todd on August 14, 2024, 07:57:40 AMI miss Iago.

One thing that is evident in this delightful gripefest of a thread is that most GMG posters take themselves way too seriously.

Iago was an awesome poster, but I don't think any posters compare to the true "terrors" of the old forum.

We've all gotten soft in our old age. :-)

(poco) Sforzando

Quote from: hopefullytrusting on August 14, 2024, 03:50:09 PMIago was an awesome poster, but I don't think any posters compare to the true "terrors" of the old forum.

We've all gotten soft in our old age. :-)

"hopefully," you must have had a different screen name in ages past, to have known Iago.

Meanwhile, we are now bifurcated into two threads: one which Todd reserves for his exclusive use in posting his reviews, the other where anyone else can write anything anyone else might want. Works for me.

DavidW

Quote from: (poco) Sforzando on August 15, 2024, 02:03:50 PM"hopefully," you must have had a different screen name in ages past, to have known Iago.

Philocetes aka the bunnies. Something like this:

Spotted Horses

Quote from: DavidW on August 15, 2024, 02:22:15 PMPhilocetes aka the bunnies. Something like this:

It's ok to out hopefully as a bunny? :)

Todd

The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

ShineyMcShineShine

(poco) Sforzando

ShineyMcShineShine

Quote from: (poco) Sforzando on August 15, 2024, 03:53:39 PMSo long as it's being done in a hopeful way.

Hopefully he isn't in the witness protection program.

Karl Henning

I guess this will become How Many Threads Should Members Be Able to Lock?
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

LKB

Those bunnies look downright tasty...
Mit Flügeln, die ich mir errungen...

(poco) Sforzando

Quote from: LKB on August 16, 2024, 06:51:21 AMThose bunnies look downright tasty...

I like rabbit very much, but it's not easy to find in my area of the United States.

LKB

Quote from: (poco) Sforzando on August 16, 2024, 07:03:00 AMI like rabbit very much, but it's not easy to find in my area of the United States.

Maybe try having it shipped in? ( I have no idea if that is possible or even legal. It's probably just my " Amazon reflex " kicking in.
Mit Flügeln, die ich mir errungen...

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: (poco) Sforzando on August 16, 2024, 07:03:00 AMI like rabbit very much, but it's not easy to find in my area of the United States.

Louisiana is the place for getting eating rabbits. They would probably be delighted to ship to the Northeast.
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

(poco) Sforzando

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on August 16, 2024, 08:47:41 AMLouisiana is the place for getting eating rabbits. They would probably be delighted to ship to the Northeast.

Maybe they can throw in some crawfish as well, another item I can't find locally. Though chances are I can find both critters in Manhattan, NYC too.