The British Composers Thread

Started by Mark, October 25, 2007, 12:26:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

relm1

Quote from: calyptorhynchus on August 29, 2024, 08:17:02 PMThoroughly enjoyed listening to this on youtube

I hadn't heard of the composer before, and there doesn't seem to be much in the catalogue by him. Pity.

It's crazy how much new music Bryden Thomson did.  His name shows up all the time as the conductor of a composer who isn't that well known. 

vandermolen

From WAYLTN Thread:
Anthony Milner: Variations for Orchestra
I haven't listened to this for years (I had the LP).
The style is rather like Tippett and has a most moving opening (and closing) section. The Variations are more approachable than the Symphony but both works are worthwhile.
Here's a review:
https://www.musicweb-international.com/classrev/2001/Oct01/Milner.htm
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Maestro267

Not long listened to Wordsworth's 3rd Symphony (LPO/Braithwaite) for the first time in quite a while. I remember it being one of my favourites from the Lyrita British Symphonies set. I should get around to picking up the rest of what's available of his.

Irons

Quote from: Maestro267 on August 31, 2024, 01:04:25 AMNot long listened to Wordsworth's 3rd Symphony (LPO/Braithwaite) for the first time in quite a while. I remember it being one of my favourites from the Lyrita British Symphonies set. I should get around to picking up the rest of what's available of his.

A fine Lyrita CD of Symphonies 2&3 which kindly gifted to me by a forum friend. Don't be put off by the title Three Wordsworth Songs for High Voice and String Quartet highly evocative settings of 1/Westminster Bridge 2/Daffodils 3/On Calais Beach. I normally steer clear of vocal music but this is a gem.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

vandermolen

Quote from: Maestro267 on August 31, 2024, 01:04:25 AMNot long listened to Wordsworth's 3rd Symphony (LPO/Braithwaite) for the first time in quite a while. I remember it being one of my favourites from the Lyrita British Symphonies set. I should get around to picking up the rest of what's available of his.
I like 2 and 7 very much.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Maestro267

I forgot until today that Toccata has released a few volumes of orchestral music, so much so that I believe the only symphony we don't have a recording of is No. 6

calyptorhynchus

Hey everyone

I have just noticed that Presto Music has a big Chandos sale going on, savings on discs, bigger savings on downloads. Just thought I'd mention it here as Chandos has recorded so much British music  :)

If there's a Chandos album on your wish list, now is the time to buy it.

'Many men are melancholy by hearing music, but it is a pleasing melancholy that it causeth.' Robert Burton

Roasted Swan

Quote from: calyptorhynchus on September 11, 2024, 02:54:46 AMHey everyone

I have just noticed that Presto Music has a big Chandos sale going on, savings on discs, bigger savings on downloads. Just thought I'd mention it here as Chandos has recorded so much British music  :)

If there's a Chandos album on your wish list, now is the time to buy it.

Chandos' "own" download store sale at the moment is even better value for downloads than Presto

https://www.chandos.net/Labels

calyptorhynchus

Quote from: Roasted Swan on September 11, 2024, 02:59:13 AMChandos' "own" download store sale at the moment is even better value for downloads than Presto

https://www.chandos.net/Labels

Not British music, but I just downloaded a Marriage of Figaro sung in English for $11.95 (Aus) (£6 ?). How crazy is that, and it had a booklet with a libretto! I've sometimes bought a full price CD set of an opera, only to find it doesn't include a libretto.
'Many men are melancholy by hearing music, but it is a pleasing melancholy that it causeth.' Robert Burton