How is the weather?

Started by Mozart, November 23, 2007, 11:01:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Karl Henning

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on June 20, 2024, 02:01:31 PMKarl,

Was your friend able to help you with your air conditioners?

PD
All set!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

drogulus

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:126.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/126.0

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:109.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/115.0

JBS

Quote from: DavidW on June 20, 2024, 08:38:02 AMI'm still in west Texas but checked my South Carolina weather and was surprised to see that the lows were in the sixties. It seems odd to see the north be hammered by a heat wave, and the south be spared.

I don't know how far north it went, but South Florida had 2 or 3 weeks of higher than normal temps with almost no rain during the end of May/start of June. The heat indices were hitting well over a 100F. The key factor was the lack of rain, and once a low pressure system broke through, it turned to more normal conditions. But that was a mixed blessing--that system was the one that brought excessive amounts last week, with urban flooding and all. One place in the mid Gulf coast area got about 10 inches of rain in one day.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Pohjolas Daughter

Saw this video today re flooding in Minnesota:  https://www.bbc.com/news/videos/cd111v4ny49o  :(

From the BBC: "The Rapidan dam in Blue Earth County, Minnesota, failed on June 24, 2024, due to intense flooding. The breach has led officials to issue an urgent evacuation order for nearby residents. The flooding not only compromised the structural integrity of the dam but also resulted in significant infrastructure damage. Emergency services are actively managing the situation to ensure the safety of the residents and mitigate further damage."

PD

Pohjolas Daughter

DavidW

Finally some nice weather here!  It was 74 when I took my walk!  It was low 80s by late morning and I for once got working on cleaning out my shed.  I've been wanting to do that, but I also didn't want to work in the heat.

Karl Henning

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on June 24, 2024, 06:22:07 PMSaw this video today re flooding in Minnesota:  https://www.bbc.com/news/videos/cd111v4ny49o  :(

From the BBC: "The Rapidan dam in Blue Earth County, Minnesota, failed on June 24, 2024, due to intense flooding. The breach has led officials to issue an urgent evacuation order for nearby residents. The flooding not only compromised the structural integrity of the dam but also resulted in significant infrastructure damage. Emergency services are actively managing the situation to ensure the safety of the residents and mitigate further damage."

PD

Ouch!
Summery but not beastly, here. Today's high will be 84° and the low will be in the 50's
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Karl Henning on July 02, 2024, 09:19:52 AMOuch!
Summery but not beastly, here. Today's high will be 84° and the low will be in the 50's
I read/watched news about the home/business that had its property eroded away (There's video of their house falling off their property).  The family that owned it also had a business attached to it; they made pies.  I heard that they had moved various freezers out of there.  Don't know whether or not they also moved various equipment (and/or had the time to do so).  :(  :'(  A very sad story.  Haven't caught the news yet as to who all else was effected in that area.

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on July 02, 2024, 02:32:33 PMI read/watched news about the home/business that had its property eroded away (There's video of their house falling off their property).  The family that owned it also had a business attached to it; they made pies.  I heard that they had moved various freezers out of there.  Don't know whether or not they also moved various equipment (and/or had the time to do so).  :(  :'(  A very sad story.  Haven't caught the news yet as to who all else was effected in that area.

PD

Edit:  Apparently, from what I'm now reading, the store/business was separate, and it was purchased and demolished to prevent it from effecting others downriver.  https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/community-rallies-together-after-family-loses-rapidan-dam-store-home-in-same-week/ar-BB1paJIv
Pohjolas Daughter

drogulus

Beryl is acumen in
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:126.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/126.0

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:109.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/115.0

Jo498

Here's actually one the chilliest (certainly one of the wettest) summers of the last decades (and supposedly not much change for the better expected until midJuly). No flooding where I live but right now not even 20°C and at least some rain almost every day although there were two hot days with 30° last week but since May it was overall not too warm and generally very wet.
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

AnotherSpin

About 30°C during the day, about 20°C at night. Pleasant wind from the sea. The sea water is warm, good for beach leisure. Air alarms sound and missiles fly couple of times during the day, but this is part of the overall picture.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Jo498 on July 03, 2024, 01:38:16 AMHere's actually one the chilliest (certainly one of the wettest) summer of the last decades (and supposedly not much change for the better expected until midJuly). No flooding where I live but right now not even 20°C and at least some rain almost every day although there were two hot days with 30° last week but since May it was overall not too warm and generally very wet.
With all of the moisture, how are the crops doing in your area?

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Jo498

Regionally there might be some problems with crops but I don't think it's too bad (in the last 2 years there was complaining about drought, so the wet spring was good), unless really flooded (that happened only very regionally). Bushes in the garden are growing like crazy, I'll probably have to get help in fall to tame them.
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

steve ridgway

Quote from: AnotherSpin on July 03, 2024, 04:20:18 AMAbout 30°C during the day, about 20°C at night. Pleasant wind from the sea. The sea water is warm, good for beach leisure. Air alarms sound and missiles fly couple of times during the day, but this is part of the overall picture.

Do you get less of the peacetime death and destruction during a war - drug gang shootings, teenagers stabbing each other, drunken violence and so on?

AnotherSpin

Quote from: steve ridgway on July 03, 2024, 06:24:26 AMDo you get less of the peacetime death and destruction during a war - drug gang shootings, teenagers stabbing each other, drunken violence and so on?

Sounds like I miss the action - drug gangs, stabbing, drunken violence and so on. Truly, have no idea. Probably no dramatic difference.

LKB

Quote from: Karl Henning on June 19, 2024, 08:48:37 AM91° F. 57% humidity. Heat advisory until 7PM tomorrow.

You're in the club, we're under a heat advisory here as well, for the next six days:

https://forecast.weather.gov/showsigwx.php?warnzone=CAZ508&warncounty=CAC081&firewxzone=CAZ508&local_place1=Menlo%20Park%20CA&product1=Heat+Advisory&lat=37.48&lon=-122.144

May cooling thoughts find us both.  8)
Mit Flügeln, die ich mir errungen...

Karl Henning

Quote from: LKB on July 03, 2024, 08:21:59 AMYou're in the club, we're under a heat advisory here as well, for the next six days:

https://forecast.weather.gov/showsigwx.php?warnzone=CAZ508&warncounty=CAC081&firewxzone=CAZ508&local_place1=Menlo%20Park%20CA&product1=Heat+Advisory&lat=37.48&lon=-122.144

May cooling thoughts find us both.  8)
By us, that mini heat wave came and went. Lately, things have been quite manageable. Hope you're doing well!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

LKB

Quote from: Karl Henning on July 03, 2024, 08:32:48 AMBy us, that mini heat wave came and went. Lately, things have been quite manageable. Hope you're doing well!

Thanks Karl,

I don't expect to be impacted much. While my apartment has no AC, only a small portion of the unit is in direct sun for a few hours before sunset. I've gotten by for several years now with a small VornadoTM desk fan, which is more than enough for both sleeping and computer-ing.  ;)
Mit Flügeln, die ich mir errungen...

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Jo498 on July 03, 2024, 05:12:56 AMRegionally there might be some problems with crops but I don't think it's too bad (in the last 2 years there was complaining about drought, so the wet spring was good), unless really flooded (that happened only very regionally). Bushes in the garden are growing like crazy, I'll probably have to get help in fall to tame them.
I was thinking also in terms of disease; one can have a number of issues (like fungal) if it's damp/wet for some time.  Obviously, drought has it's own problems too.  ::)  Hard to have perfect weather and also some crops do better in certain conditions than others.  Some of the farmers around here are still recovering financially from flooding from last year.  :(

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Irons

Weather atrocious in Blighty. Cold and wet with only the odd fleeting sighting of the sun. So dispiriting watching all hard work planting crops proving to be a waste of time. When I moan, which I do regularly, the wife says think of the farmers! She has a point. Global warming? Tell me about it!

My daughter has returned from Memphis. Although very hot at 35c,the main problem for her group being air conditioning of buildings. Not a great deal of air conditioning in UK so we are not used to it. She has returned suffering from pretty bad inflammation of sinuses.  
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.