April Fools reviews on ClassicsToday and MusicWeb

Started by Brian, April 01, 2008, 01:10:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian

There were some pretty good ones on each site this year. ClassicsToday tended more towards the "intellectual" type jokes - a Messiaen disc featuring John Ogdon and John Barbirolli, and an album of Xenakis' "Four Last Downloads". There was a hilarious piece on John Tavener's "GOD" - featuring unknowable countertenor and untunable organ.  ;D  MusicWeb featured the Complete Recordings of Joyce Hatto on over 2000 CDs, but what really made me laugh was the track timings on one of their reviews:

Wolfgang Amadeus MOZART (1756-1791)
Le nozze di Figaro: Overture – Rehearsal [716:37] and performance [04:59]
Munich Philharmonic Orchestra/Sergiu Celibidache
Le nozze di Figaro: Overture – Rehearsal [06:18] and performance [04:13]
London Philharmonic Orchestra/Sir Adrian Boult

I read that in class and immediately cracked up uncontrollably. Good thing the professor didn't notice  ;D ;D

Greta

Good ones!  :D For an April Fools' somebody today switched all the professors' names on their offices in the music building...don't know who yet, but they got a laugh...

Don

I take music very seriously and find the April 1st "joke" reviews a waste.  I also notice that ClassicsToday hardly ever offers five new reviews on any particular day but can come up with five bogus reviews on 1 April.  That site needs an upgrade.

Brian

Quote from: Don on April 01, 2008, 02:46:15 PM
I take music very seriously and find the April 1st "joke" reviews a waste.  I also notice that ClassicsToday hardly ever offers five new reviews on any particular day but can come up with five bogus reviews on 1 April.  That site needs an upgrade.
You're right here. Usually it's only two new reviews every day and three recycled ones. Their "news" function needs an upgrade too - it stopped in 2004 I think - along with other aspects of the site. And more writers wouldn't hurt, if they could get along with the H-man.

Don

Quote from: Brian on April 01, 2008, 03:26:18 PM
And more writers wouldn't hurt, if they could get along with the H-man.

Yes, I have no idea why their review staff is so slim.  If MusicWeb can manage to have dozens of reviewers, so can ClassicsToday.  Heck, there are dozens of folks on this board well equipped to write record reviews.

BorisG

Don

Quote from: BorisG on April 01, 2008, 03:31:27 PM
I thought for sure, Hatto had arisen. ::)

Actually, MusicWeb still has a little obsession about her and the fraud.  Must have something to do with all the glorious reviews they did of those fake recordings.

BorisG

Quote from: Don on April 01, 2008, 03:31:13 PM

Yes, I have no idea why their review staff is so slim.  If MusicWeb can manage to have dozens of reviewers, so can ClassicsToday.  Heck, there are dozens of folks on this board well equipped to write record reviews.

Would the few at CT receive more than a CD for each review?

Brian

I've just noticed they aren't new. Some are "backdated" to look old but are new, while at least one - Simon Rattle's "Tommy" - is in fact old (it refers to a future release being due in 2004).

Don

Quote from: BorisG on April 01, 2008, 03:51:31 PM
Would the few at CT receive more than a CD for each review?

Maybe a CD and a coupon for KFC.

DavidW

I value quality over quantity.  It's easy for them to crank out bogus reviews because they are fluff.  The same can't be said of their serious reviews.  We already have an assembly line approach to music reviews, it's called MusicWeb, we don't need another like it.

Don

Quote from: DavidW on April 02, 2008, 05:19:16 AM
I value quality over quantity.  It's easy for them to crank out bogus reviews because they are fluff.  The same can't be said of their serious reviews.  We already have an assembly line approach to music reviews, it's called MusicWeb, we don't need another like it.

I would have much more difficulty writing a bogus review.

How are the reviews on MusicWeb of the assembly line category?

Brian

Quote from: Don on April 02, 2008, 08:41:50 AM
How are the reviews on MusicWeb of the assembly line category?
A few years ago they went through a momentary assembly line problem when one of the reviewers plagiarized Naxos liner notes in his reviews, but that was stopped pretty quickly after I brought some examples to Len Mullenger's attention.

Don

Quote from: Brian on April 02, 2008, 11:33:34 AM
A few years ago they went through a momentary assembly line problem when one of the reviewers plagiarized Naxos liner notes in his reviews, but that was stopped pretty quickly after I brought some examples to Len Mullenger's attention.

I remember that "copy verbatim" problem, and it was a lot more recent than a few years ago.  However, I don't see that as an assembly line problem.

To me, there a two "sameness" traits to the MusicWeb reviews - tendencies to be very polite and highlight the positives of a performance.

Brian

Quote from: Don on April 02, 2008, 12:39:21 PM
To me, there a two "sameness" traits to the MusicWeb reviews - tendencies to be very polite and highlight the positives of a performance.
Yes indeed. I don't see an "assembly line" at work in MusicWeb reviews, and read them daily; what I do see is a tendency to be very positive about everything except the very worst.

Don

Quote from: Brian on April 02, 2008, 01:07:38 PM
Yes indeed. I don't see an "assembly line" at work in MusicWeb reviews, and read them daily; what I do see is a tendency to be very positive about everything except the very worst.

That does seem to be the "British way", but the site owner is always glad to take on reviewers from other countries.

not edward

Agreed about the uncritical praise for everything. I wouldn't buy any disc on a MusicWeb review, though I might be glad to know that it exists.
"I don't at all mind actively disliking a piece of contemporary music, but in order to feel happy about it I must consciously understand why I dislike it. Otherwise it remains in my mind as unfinished business."
-- Aaron Copland, The Pleasures of Music

BorisG

Their thumbs-up symbol seems distinct enough.

MISHUGINA

Man the Celibidache box set sham is genius. I don't see how one wants to listen 10CDs of Celi rehearsing a 5-min overture.  :P