Cato's Grammar Grumble

Started by Cato, February 08, 2009, 05:00:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Karl Henning

So the question is, Is the articulation of a voiceless consonant a syllable? : )
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Ataraxia

Quote from: karlhenning on January 18, 2012, 06:02:41 AM
So the question is, Is the articulation of a voiceless consonant a syllable? : )

And I'd think the answer would be "no."

Opus106

Quote from: Lethevich Dmitriyevna Pettersonova on January 18, 2012, 05:46:23 AM
Dumb question #48844224567432: Does "Coke" have one or two syllables?

I notice that if I say it casually, it sounds like a cockney saying "coat" (the second two letters are ignored), but if I try to compensate, I put enough emphasis on the k to make it sound two-part. I suppose technically it is one syllable but the way it's spoken feels awkwardly like one and a half. Maybe it's my brain subconsciously pushing me towards the two bits in "Coca".

Is it a pair of demi-syllables?
Regards,
Navneeth

Ataraxia

Ataraxia

And of course she's British so she's probably pronouncing it incorrectly.  ;)

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Karl Henning

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on January 16, 2012, 06:39:17 PM
It's probably done on parallel reasons with the usual system for transliterating Hebrew:  K for Kaph, Kh for Kaph sofit, Q for Qof, and H with a dot under it for Chet, in which the instructions suggest taking Scot loch or German Ich/Ach as approximations.

Kaph is the letter used, eg in Cohen;  Qof is the letter used in Qabalah/Kabbalah; Chet is the letter which leads off Chai and Chanukah. However, to add to the confusion, Kaph is actually a "double letter"; when a dot, called a dagesh, is inserted into the letter, it's sounded like Chet. Kaph sofit is the form of Kaph used when it's the final letter of a word, and is almost always used with the dagesh in that position.

Functionally in modern speech Kaph without dagesh sounds just like Qof; Kaph with dagesh sounds just like Chet, but K is the transliteration for both versions.  There is a grammatical rule which allows you to tell when you're dealing with a dagesh-Kaph or not. and because of that rule, Karl's name would be transliterated into Hebrew with Qof, and therefore transliterated back into English letters as QaRL.  (Dagesh is used when the Kaph is the first letter of a word or syllable.)

Cato would probably be QaiTV--where the V is a V used as a vowel to represent long O or long U.

The catarrh on the cutter from Qatar . . . .
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Lethevich

I'm afraid not - we are now mortal enemies!
Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.

Karl Henning

Quote from: Ataraxia on January 18, 2012, 06:22:50 AM
She can take a joke. Can't she?  :o

I've always believed she can.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Cato

"Coke" - trust me on this - is one syllable.

I have heard people exaggerate their pronunciations, so that the silent "e" at the end of a word sounds closer to the pronounced final "e" in a German word. e.g. in their mouths "Name" = nay-muh.

A local priest, who according to legend had a childhood speech impediment, is infamous for over-pronouncing everything, which leads to ludicrous sounding sermons, of course, because one becomes distracted by the odd precision of everything.

"So precise it is wrong,"  e.g. he pronounces "God" so precisely that the final "d" comes out almost like a "t."  Or he will say "Godduh."

He also has a bizarre rhythm, where - for no obvious reason - he will speak rapidly, and then suddenly  h   e     w    i     l     l        taaaaallllllkkkk     sssssllloooowwwwlllllyyyyy.
"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

Lethevich

(As this is the general language complaints thread, here we go... ;D)

I've noticed a technique that thriller type films use to make "it's a fake ID" sound much more impressive and potentially 'impossible':

"Either this guy doesn't exist or he's been wiped off the record."

His assumed identity may not be genuine, but it certainly exists, and I am fairly sure that the guy does too.
Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.

Karl Henning

QuoteAfter finishing third in Iowa and second in New Hampshire, that was his worse showing yet.

One forgives the odd typo/error in on-line MSM.  But one cringes, even in the forgiving.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Karl Henning

Ouch!

QuoteCan Romney find a way to diffuse Newt's debate tactics?

I don't think of diffuse / defuse as a 'traditional' confusion.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

petrarch

Quote from: karlhenning on January 23, 2012, 09:15:31 AM
Ouch!

I don't think of diffuse / defuse as a 'traditional' confusion.

But it is very bazaar, anyway (saw this one not long ago).
//p
The music collection.
The hi-fi system: Esoteric X-03SE -> Pathos Logos -> Analysis Audio Amphitryon.
A view of the whole

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Karl Henning

Separately . . . I know, just a typo . . . but rather a funny one in the initial line of an extended review:

QuoteIn the pantheon of fantasy writers, no diety is treated with greater reverence than J.R.R. Tolkien . . . .
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Cato

Quote from: karlhenning on January 25, 2012, 05:48:32 AM
Separately . . . I know, just a typo . . . but rather a funny one in the initial line of an extended review:

"No diety" - maybe the writer is an Austrylian!   :o

Cato

So my wife was watching a show about Lawn Guyland (i.e. Long Island  0:)  )  doctors and the plot necessitated a woman trying to translate a German phrase into English.

So she goes to the Internet and types in "Es ist nicht ihr."   :o  The Internet brings: "It is not her."

"Ihr" can mean "her" in German, both as a possessive adjective (ihr Buch = her book) and a dative (ich gebe ihr ein Buch = I am giving her a book).

Okay, so very few Americans will not know that she should have typed in: "Es ist nicht sie" or "Sie ist es nicht."

This problem goes back to the use of the accusative in English after the intransitive verb to be:

"Who's there?"  "It's me!"  (Technically, one should say: "It is I."  But few people would, since it sounds (to American ears at least, odd and even arrogant).

The children's show of the good ol' days, MisterRogers, attempted to counteract this, as Mr. Rogers would say things e.g. (after a knock on the door): "Oh!  That must be he now!"   :o

In German "It's me" would be translated into normal German as "Ich bin es."  (Word for word: "I am it.")