"Some Have The Impression That Tchaikovsky Composed Only 3 Symphonies..."

Started by Cato, March 03, 2009, 04:56:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cato

...and eccentrically numbered them 4, 5, and 6."

Such is what a writer once cracked c. 4 decades ago for the notes of an LP with Tchaikovsky's First Symphony. (I think: it could have been for #2 or #3.  And the quote is at least very close.)

On Saturday I heard Tchaikovsky's First Symphony on the radio, and the above quotation came back to me.

So what is it about the first 3?  I find them quite tuneful and inventive: formally, you can find all kinds of complaints, especially in the impotently fulminating last movement of the Third Symphony , which, however, is still fun in its frustration.  But they have all kinds of marvelous moments! 

But the emotional content takes you on some marvelous journeys: #1 "Winter Dreams" is my favorite example of this point, and to my ear is the most cogent of the 3.  #3 has some great moments of Tchaikovsky's trademark antiphony and delight in orchestration.  And how could anyone not like the ebullience and joy found in #2, especially the last movement?

So what say ye?  Why might they be considered "weak" and ignored for so long?  (We can agree that the next 3 are better works.)
Which recordings make the best case for each work?   $:)
"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

George

Great idea for a thread!

I love Tilson Thomas's "Winter Dreams" on DG. Great mood evoked in that recording. I haven't heard any other performances of this or of one and two (at all.)  :-\

I look forward to this thread, I bet we get a lot of nice recommendations.   

RussellG

Somebody posted that they were listening to this the other day:

How is this one?

SonicMan46

Cato - will also be interested in this thread & recommendations!  :D

Really can't recall 'how many' of PT's symphony performances that I've owned over the years, but most recently purchased an absolute bargain set w/ Rostropovich - 5-CD box for just over $20 on Amazon - stimulated for this purchase by a great Fanfare Review HERE:)

Cato

Many thanks for all the replies so far!

My first acquaintance with all 3 came through the fine recordings from the early 1960's on London with a young punk named Lorin Maazel conducting the Vienna Philharmonic.  These were once available on CD's, but Amazon says they are out of print.

I recall the positive fuss about the Tilson-Thomas First Symphony, and have heard it on the radio: excellent interpretation! One wonders why he has not recorded #2 and #3.  (i.e. I am not finding them on Amazon, etc.)  

Dr. Dread

Quote from: SonicMan on March 03, 2009, 05:39:28 PM
Cato - will also be interested in this thread & recommendations!  :D

Really can't recall 'how many' of PT's symphony performances that I've owned over the years, but most recently purchased an absolute bargain set w/ Rostropovich - 5-CD box for just over $20 on Amazon - stimulated for this purchase by a great Fanfare Review HERE:)

I hardly ever listen to Tchaikovsky but I do own your standard 4, 5 and 6 by Mravinsky (and a #5 by Ormandy). Maybe I'll take Dave up on his tempting recommendation.

some guy

RussellG, the Dorati is great. I haven't heard the CD, but those Mercury Living Presence LPs were good at the time, and all the one's I've replaced with CDs have sounded fine.

The performance is splendid. It's Dorati, after all!

(I also have number 2 with Abbado, which I like even more than Dorati's.)

Cato, "the impotently fulminating last movement of the Third Symphony." Really?? (I'd love to know what you think of the last movement of the fifth!!)

George

Quote from: some guy on March 03, 2009, 06:35:17 PM
The performance is splendid. It's Dorati, after all!

I haven't heard a Dorati recording I didn't love.  :)

RussellG

Quote from: George on March 03, 2009, 07:01:54 PM
I haven't heard a Dorati recording I didn't love.  :)

I have - that famous 1812 Overture, also on Mercury Living Presence.  Way, way too fast for my liking.

George

Quote from: RussellG on March 03, 2009, 07:13:14 PM
I have - that famous 1812 Overture, also on Mercury Living Presence.  Way, way too fast for my liking.

Haven't heard that one.  ;D

George

Quote from: SonicMan on March 03, 2009, 05:39:28 PM

Just read up on that one in my favorite guidebook. They also think highly of it.

Daverz

Excellent recordings of the Winter Dreams and Polish, though I haven't formed an impression of the Little Russian, yet.  Available from hmv.co.jp or arkivmusic.com (as CD-Rs).

mc ukrneal

I think 4-6 are just so amazing that the first 3 are overlooked.

Markevitch on Philips is a good option (and generally cheaper than the Dorati). There are several good version though.
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

Cato

Quote from: some guy on March 03, 2009, 06:35:17 PM

Cato, "the impotently fulminating last movement of the Third Symphony." Really?? (I'd love to know what you think of the last movement of the fifth!!)

I think it "pompates" more than it fulminates!   8)   With the Third's Finale, you get the impression that because the main material for the movement was so weak, the composer went straight to all kinds of coda cliches: the 4 previous movements were more interesting.

Speaking of Antal Dorati on Mercury, don't miss his recording of Schoenberg's Five Pieces for Orchestra if it is still out there.

ChamberNut

Cato, you are so right!  Tchaikovsky composed only 3 symphonies (# 2, 5 and 6)  ;)

Hello!!!! I love the "Little Russian".  All 3 of these symphonies I've heard live, and they were all unique, incredible experiences.

I thoroughly enjoy the Brilliant Classics set with Muti conducting the Philharmonia Orchestra.  :)

Dundonnell

By a remarkable coincidence the April issue of 'The Gramophone' magazine has an article by Andrew Achenbach surveying the recordings of the 'Little Russian'.

His four final choices are Svetlanov(Regis), Pletnev(DGG), Dorati(Mercury) and Simon(Chandos-original version of the work) but he also gives praise to the deleted Abbado(DGG-which is the version I have), Markevitch(Philips), Masur(Warner), Haitink(Philips-deleted) and the charismatic accounts by Mitropoulos(Archipel), Celibidache(Urania) ansd Rostropovich(EMI). Temirkanov on RCA is a wayward performance but offers a fresh view.

Achenbach is not keen on the Karajan(DGG) or the Janssons(Chandos). I have Janssons in No.1 and Karajan in No.3 ;D

karlhenning

I've got the Markevich, which I like very well . . . the Mercury Living Presence reissue of Doráti is an undeniable temptation.

Dr. Dread

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on March 04, 2009, 05:04:13 AM
. . . the Mercury Living Presence reissue of Doráti is an undeniable temptation.

You can get all six in one package!

david johnson

let us not forget ormandy/philly doing #7.
better also count in 'manfred' symphony.

dj

George