Ludwig van Beethoven (1770-1827)

Started by BachQ, April 06, 2007, 03:12:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brahmsian

Quote from: SonicMan on December 16, 2009, 03:14:28 PM
Ray - I own the 'bargain' 2-CD set on Brilliant w/ the Zurich String Trio; recorded in 2002 - Jerry Dubin's comments quoted HERE - may put the first disc on next for our dinner music!  Dave  :D

That's the one I have too, Dave!  :)

SonicMan46

Quote from: Brahmsian on December 16, 2009, 05:35:16 PM
That's the one I have too, Dave!  :)

Ray - LOL!  ;D  Our paths may have crossed on this set before?  For myself, I'm happy w/ this one - Dave  :)

Brahmsian

Quote from: SonicMan on December 16, 2009, 05:49:32 PM
Ray - LOL!  ;D  Our paths may have crossed on this set before?  For myself, I'm happy w/ this one - Dave  :)

Yes, I think you're right.  I think you were the one that recommended it to me.  :D  Any fan of Beethoven, or chamber music in general should not forget these works, especially the Opus 9 trios.  :)

bhodges

Just got word of this concert in February, which is going to be broadcast live on radio and the Internet on WQXR.

Sunday, February 21, 2010, at 2:00 PM
Carnegie Hall

Orchestra of St. Luke's
Sir Roger Norrington, Conductor
Jessica Rivera, Soprano
Kelley O'Connor, Mezzo-Soprano
Eric Cutler, Tenor
Wayne Tigges, Bass-Baritone
Westminster Symphonic Choir
Joe Miller, Director

Haydn:  Symphony No. 99 in E-flat Major, H.1/99
Beethoven:  Symphony No. 9 in D minor, Op. 125 "Choral"

--Bruce

dseegs

I'm brand new to classical music in general. I downloaded beethoven's op.1 Piano trios 1-3 great stuff.
Is going through beethoven's opuses in order a good way to explore his compositions or do you think it's better to just jump around to whatever you get your hands on???

MN Dave

Quote from: dseegs on February 04, 2010, 08:48:30 AM
I'm brand new to classical music in general. I downloaded beethoven's op.1 Piano trios 1-3 great stuff.
Is going through beethoven's opuses in order a good way to explore his compositions or do you think it's better to just jump around to whatever you get your hands on???

Do whatever feels right. If you reach the 1st symphony and really dig it, then go right to the second one. If you start from the beginning and find yourself becoming bored, then maybe jump ahead to a more popular piece.

Opus106

Most, if not all, people tend to jump around, starting in fact with a middle-period or late work. But that is not because it has been found to be an effective method of listening to his music, but more to do with the popularity of his later works. (This is the case with most other famous composers, not just Beethoven.) It would  probably be easier to get your hands on the middle or late works, given that some early ("minor") works might have been recorded only once or twice.
Regards,
Navneeth

Opus106

Quote from: Beethovenian on February 04, 2010, 08:51:02 AM
Do whatever feels right.

Yes, this is what I would also suggest. My earlier post was more like a statement of facts, rather than an opinion.
Regards,
Navneeth

Brahmsian

Hi dseegs, and welcome aboard!!  As the others have stated, start wherever you like!  For Beethoven, I'll recommend pretty much anything.  If you like the piano and strings combo, try some more trios, or go to the piano concertos (all 5) and piano sonatas (Moonlight, Pathetique, Op.2 or Op.7, Appassionata, etc).

Lethevich

Do his opus 5 cello sonatas "officially" have two or three movements? I just noticed Wikipedia says that the first two "movements" indexed on many CDs are still technically one, leaving each piece with just two formal movements. This goes against what some CDs say, such as the Schiff ECM, which specifically call the movements I, I and III.

Edit: Ok that made no sense - rewrote it.
Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Lethe on June 16, 2010, 08:13:31 AM
Do his opus 5 cello sonatas "officially" have two or three movements?

Two movements: the first consisting of a slow introduction followed by the Allegro; second movement a Rondo.

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Lethevich

Thanks! Thanks seems to be a rare instance of when Wikipedia has been more reliable than record label notes.
Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.

Gurn Blanston

Yep, Sarge, as is often the case, is right on. I have noticed in passing that ALL of my PI versions call it 2 movements, but some of my modern versions go for 3. Why you would want to separate the introduction off into its own movement is beyond me, especially when it moves on without a pause. :-\

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Gurn Blanston

A tragi-comedic anecdote from the journal of Louis Spohr.

Beethoven was playing a new piano concerto of his, but already at the first 'tutti', forgetting that he was the soloist, he jumped up and began to conduct in his own peculiar fashion. At the first 'sforzando' he threw out his arms so wide that he knocked over both the lamps from the music stand of the piano. The audience laughed and Beethoven was so beside himself over this disturbance that he stopped the orchestra and made them start again. Seyfried, worried for fear that this would happen again in the same place, took the precaution of ordering two choir boys to stand next to Beethoven and to hold the lamps in their hands. One of them innocently stepped closer and followed the music from the piano part. But when the fatal 'sforzando' burst forth, the poor boy received from Beethoven's right hand such a sharp slap in the face that, terrified, he dropped the lamp on the floor. The other, more wary boy, who had been anxiously following Beethoven's movements, succeeded in avoiding the blow by ducking in time. If the audience had laughed the first time, they now indulged in a truly bacchanalian riot. Beethoven broke out in such a fury that when he struck the first chord of the solo he broke six strings. Every effort of the true music-lovers to restore calm and attention remained unavailing for some time; thus the first Allegro of the Concerto was completely lost to the audience. Since this accident, Beethoven wanted to give no more concerts.

8)

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

MN Dave

DavidW

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: DavidW on June 17, 2010, 12:45:51 PM
That was freaking hilarious! :D

Yes, I found it most amusing. BTW, IIRC, it was the 4th Piano Concerto, which I believe was the last piano work that he premiered in public (1808). :)

8)

Antoine Marchand

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on June 17, 2010, 11:41:50 AM
A tragi-comedic anecdote from the journal of Louis Spohr.

Beethoven was playing a new piano concerto of his, but already at the first 'tutti', forgetting that he was the soloist, he jumped up and began to conduct in his own peculiar fashion. At the first 'sforzando' he threw out his arms so wide that he knocked over both the lamps from the music stand of the piano. The audience laughed and Beethoven was so beside himself over this disturbance that he stopped the orchestra and made them start again. Seyfried, worried for fear that this would happen again in the same place, took the precaution of ordering two choir boys to stand next to Beethoven and to hold the lamps in their hands. One of them innocently stepped closer and followed the music from the piano part. But when the fatal 'sforzando' burst forth, the poor boy received from Beethoven's right hand such a sharp slap in the face that, terrified, he dropped the lamp on the floor. The other, more wary boy, who had been anxiously following Beethoven's movements, succeeded in avoiding the blow by ducking in time. If the audience had laughed the first time, they now indulged in a truly bacchanalian riot. Beethoven broke out in such a fury that when he struck the first chord of the solo he broke six strings. Every effort of the true music-lovers to restore calm and attention remained unavailing for some time; thus the first Allegro of the Concerto was completely lost to the audience. Since this accident, Beethoven wanted to give no more concerts.

8)

That was funny, touchingly pathetic. A great way to demystify some things, to bring them back to a human scale. Thanks, Gurn:)

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Antoine Marchand on June 17, 2010, 01:08:36 PM
That was funny, touchingly pathetic. A great way to demystify some things, to bring them back to a human scale. Thanks, Gurn:)

Yr, welcome, Antoine. There is another story from Spohr about Beethoven's conducting. It doesn't have the tragic aspect that this one had (except that his deafness plays a part), it just makes a funny mental picture. I will find it tonight and type it up. Beethoven was a character all on his own, that's for sure! :)

8)

Franco

Not since the '70s and Walter Murphy's "A Fifth of Beethoven" have I heard something so trite:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3_sSnLmJN78&feature=email