Past Purchases (CLOSED)

Started by Harry, April 06, 2007, 03:33:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The new erato

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on August 12, 2011, 03:16:11 AM
Arrived in today's mail: Brahms First/Haydn Variations conducted by Ivan Fischer, a CD that was enthusiastically recommended by Brian. The Hurwitzer loves it too; his 10/10 review ended with "Even if you have a hundred recordings of this music, let this disc be your hundred and first."

Sarge
I døn't have this, but have a handful of the issues by this collaboration, and they have never been less than excellent IMO.

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: The new erato on August 12, 2011, 03:29:31 AM
I døn't have this, but have a handful of the issues by this collaboration, and they have never been less than excellent IMO.

Have you heard the Fischer/Budapest Philips disc with the Hungarian Dances? I'm considering that one.

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Antoine Marchand

Quote from: ~ Que ~ on August 12, 2011, 12:20:55 AM
Could you give me link? That recording is rather elusive! :)

I used the same link (itunes) provided by PaulSC:

Quote from: PaulSC on August 11, 2011, 10:09:58 AM
Hiroaki Ooi - Bach: The Art of Fugue, BWV 1080 [clavichord]

Unfortunately, I didn't find physical copies available.

Que

Quote from: toñito on August 12, 2011, 04:36:32 AM
I used the same link (itunes) provided by PaulSC:

Unfortunately, I didn't find physical copies available.

Thanks! :) BTW, I found this: http://www.hmv.co.jp/en/product/detail/3547674

Q

Conor71

Had a Disc arrive today :):

[asin]B000001GQA[/asin]

nigeld

inspired by the "favourite symphonies" thread

[asin]B000KP7JDQ[/asin]

[asin]B0002QXRM0[/asin]
Soli Deo Gloria

The new erato

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on August 12, 2011, 03:39:40 AM
Have you heard the Fischer/Budapest Philips disc with the Hungarian Dances? I'm considering that one

Sarge
Yes, buy with confidence.

Sadko

Have you heard the Fischer/Budapest Philips disc with the Hungarian Dances? I'm considering that one.

Sarge

Fischer added a slightly folky touch, which I liked. I heard it on the radio and bought it.

Brian

Sarge

New copies are $100 on Amazon US. Used for $3, though!
As you will hear on that Brahms CD, at least one of Fischer's Hungarian Dance arrangements is downright sensual.

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Sadko on August 12, 2011, 11:51:46 AM
Fischer added a slightly folky touch, which I liked. I heard it on the radio and bought it.

Quote from: The new erato on August 12, 2011, 09:58:38 AM
Yes, buy with confidence.

Thanks, guys. I ordered it this afternoon. Already received a confirmation that it's been posted.

Sarge

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Brian on August 12, 2011, 11:59:07 AM
New copies are $100 on Amazon US. Used for $3, though!
As you will hear on that Brahms CD, at least one of Fischer's Hungarian Dance arrangements is downright sensual.

I bought from a German seller who offered it new for 14 Euro. He shipped it within an hour of my order  8)

Sarge

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on August 12, 2011, 12:07:02 PM
I bought from a German seller who offered it new for 14 Euro. He shipped it within an hour of my order  8)

Sarge

Well, too late now, I just sort of followed this back to the beginning. In any case, I would have agreed with Erato, that is a splendid disk. When I attempted to rec it to someone a couple of years ago, I scrapped it when I discovered how rare and expensive it has  become since I bought it at release. :o  Brian's quote of $100 is what I found too. Damn! It is good, but I'm not sure about $100 worth of good. :)

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Dancing Divertimentian

Quote from: Sadko on August 12, 2011, 11:51:46 AM
Fischer added a slightly folky touch, which I liked.

Fischer does that with his Bartok, too, which makes it my favorite Bartok.

Veit Bach-a baker who found his greatest pleasure in a little cittern which he took with him even into the mill and played while the grinding was going on. In this way he had a chance to have the rhythm drilled into him. And this was the beginning of a musical inclination in his descendants. JS Bach

Mirror Image

Quote from: Dancing Divertimentian on August 12, 2011, 09:24:56 PM
Fischer does that with his Bartok, too, which makes it my favorite Bartok.

This is why I enjoy Fischer's Bartok as well. I need to revisit his Bartok recordings as I have recently purchased the only Fischer Bartok recording I was lacking: Bluebeard's Castle.

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: ~ Que ~ on August 12, 2011, 12:20:55 AM

Are the Amazon mp3's up to scratch? It seems in my experience that especially harpsichord music is rather sensitive to compression.

Q

Sorry to intrude, but I've bought many mp3s from Amazon and I find more problems with certain record companies rather than types of ensembles. For example, many of the Decca, and also a good number of DG mp3s I bought I've been very disappointed with, some very noticeable quality issues. In fact, I've stopped purchasing mp3s from those two all together because I've had such bad luck.

DavidW

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on August 13, 2011, 04:01:28 AM
Sorry to intrude, but I've bought many mp3s from Amazon and I find more problems with certain record companies rather than types of ensembles. For example, many of the Decca, and also a good number of DG mp3s I bought I've been very disappointed with, some very noticeable quality issues. In fact, I've stopped purchasing mp3s from those two all together because I've had such bad luck.

Could you elaborate?  I'm going digital only, when I was in favor of cds before.  The few purchases I had were from labels different from Decca and DG.  And are these problems also around on the itunes versions?

jlaurson

aren't the latest brahms and bartok recordings of fischer re-issues from the oop Philips releases?
wonder if anyone could look at the recording dates, esp. of the bartok.

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: DavidW on August 13, 2011, 04:32:52 AM
Could you elaborate?  I'm going digital only, when I was in favor of cds before.  The few purchases I had were from labels different from Decca and DG.  And are these problems also around on the itunes versions?

Hi David,

Well, I was just looking at some of my *bad* mp3 purchases and the first two that came to mind on Decca were actually from iTunes. Brahms 3rd Ashkenazy/Cleveland I already had on CD, but was packed away so I saw that iTunes had it fairly cheap, and also Janacek Mass-Sinfonietta, Dutoit/Montreal.
The main problem I have found with these mp3s lie within the strings, primarily the lower strings, there is a wavering-wobbily sound that accompanies them. I listen to my headphones alot so I noticed this right away.
With DG I can think of two right of the bat, the Berg's Four Pieces for Clarinet & Piano that is featured on the mutli-disc Alban Berg collection, and Patricia Petibon's Italian Baroque Arias. Both have a similar issue of suffering when the Clarinet (Berg) and voice (Petibon) reach a high octave and at a loud dynamic, the tone begins to crack and distort, I have since bought these two on discs to replace the mp3 and the issue was solved.

This has not stopped me from buying mp3s though, I find all of my Naxos mp3s (which is too many to count) to sound fine, and I do have other Decca & DG mp3s that are not bad but I tend to be weary of new purchases from them.
Hope this helps, but I am by no means an expert.  :)

DavidW

Thanks Greg that helps.  If it's just the occasional screw up, then I won't worry too much. 

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: DavidW on August 13, 2011, 06:36:40 AM
Thanks Greg that helps.  If it's just the occasional screw up, then I won't worry too much.

You're welcome, like I said it's really only been with Decca and DG that I've had a problem, but there are many other labels that are fine, I just don't buy from them because I don't have the money to waste anymore.
Also, I know Q was inquiring about harpsichord mp3s, and I have Pinnock's 2006 recording of Rameau: Les Cyclopes and I think it's great, I've listened through speakers and headphones and have had no questions regarding quality.

I wonder if there is a site that rates mp3 quality of certain recordings?