Havergal Brian.

Started by Harry, June 09, 2007, 04:36:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

J.Z. Herrenberg

On Twitter a violinist (breakastring) writes: "To rehearse at All Nations - the largest flat floor space in Cardiff. Two symphony orchestras and four brass bands! Haven't even added choirs and soloists yet! What was Havergal Brian thinking?! Ideas on the correct collective noun for a large group of musicians? A plague? An implosion? An explosion?..."
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

Brian

Should we perhaps have a separate thread to coordinate any relevant meet-ups, pub gatherings, etc.?

I read the MusicWeb article last night and thought, "Requiem? Really?" Alas, that's a poor mistake to make. :(

J.Z. Herrenberg

Why not use this thread, it's completely apposite and legitimate...

Well, Jeffrey (vandermolen) has already suggested we should repair to the Queens Arms, 30 Queens Gate Mews afterwards. I know that members of the HBS will be there during the day, inbetween the dress rehearsal and other activities. I have asked the Chairman whether the same applies post-concert... I'll be flying into London around 4 o'clock PM, if all goes according to plan and Icelandic volcanoes stay civilized...
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

Brian

A'ight. Looking forward.

I suppose what I really want to say here is: Luke, since we've got weekend passes, are you going to any of the other three proms there? I'll certainly be at the Glagolitic Mass tomorrow.

cilgwyn

Meanwhile,this 'homebody' has actually spent £159.00 on.......wait for it......... a dolby Pioneer cassette deck,EXPRESSLY for the purpose of recording the Proms performance of the 'Gothic'. I can't wait for the bit where I have to turn over the cassette,it'll be like the good old days! Although,some people here might think the opposite.

Brian

Wow! What kind of playback quality can you get on a cassette deck like that, though? Not the world's best, one imagines, but listenable? And I encourage you to do a test run or two to make certain it works. :)

J.Z. Herrenberg

I remember I often bought TDK and Maxell cassettes with a playing time of 120 minutes. Do they still sell them?

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Brian on July 14, 2011, 04:09:05 AM
Wow! What kind of playback quality can you get on a cassette deck like that, though? Not the world's best, one imagines, but listenable? And I encourage you to do a test run or two to make certain it works. :)

If you had a good deck the quality could be remarkable. I bought a Nakamichi Dragon in the mid 80s. It cost $1600 in the PX (that's equivalent to $3200 today). It was (is) an amazing machine.

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

cilgwyn

Thank you for you're polite reply Brian. I was expecting to be called an idiot. The truth is,there are very few cassette decks on the market now & no single cassette decks,unless you can count that Teac thingummy with a built in cd player! Also,my budget isn't that high & I am extremely reluctant to spend much on a new cassette deck in this day and age. On the plus side this will be (quite!) state of the art compared to my previous cassette players,all of which lasted several years (one's still going) and would have impressed Fred Flinstone but probably not Wilma!
(Oh yes,Nakamichi. Tales are still told around firesides about those machines).
At least they still manufacture cassette tapes,JZH.  Let's hope it doesn't chew too many up!

Luke

Quote from: Brian on July 14, 2011, 01:22:12 AM
A'ight. Looking forward.

I suppose what I really want to say here is: Luke, since we've got weekend passes, are you going to any of the other three proms there? I'll certainly be at the Glagolitic Mass tomorrow.

If only I could! The pass arrived at the end of last week, just as I was starting to worry! So I will be there for the Gothic, but not able to make any of the others. And yes, obviously, the one I would want to go to would be the Glagolitic.

I'm trying to work out the best way for me to get down and back - no chance of me staying back afterwards, more's the pity. I've just booked a space in the car park, just in case that turns out to be the best way.

cilgwyn

Thank you for diverting the thread away from my lo fi equipment. Anyone else impressed by my bargain deck?
Talking about pubs. I just came back from one. I got the impression they could keep sinking the old pints until daybreak without ill effect. Some of them smaller than me,older than me &,alarmingly, women! And me? Acid indigestion and feeling like I'm on my deathbed! I decided to chicken out,very reluctantly,by the way (they had the dubliners on the jukebox. A bit different from Havergal Brian,I know!)
By the way,aplogies for not replying to your message,Johan,if I may call you that.Quite frankly,I will have to think about that one. I hope you enjoy THE concert of the century.

J.Z. Herrenberg

Of course I'm Johan, Cilgwyn...

I'm doing nothing but listen to The Gothic at the moment. It will be an almost unreal experience, sitting there in the Albert Hall. My (twin) sister is coming, too. I let her listen to the stupendous build-up and climax of the Vivace and the overwhelming cataclysm of the Judex. She just sat shaking her head, cursed, then burst out laughing - the music is so extraordinarily powerful. I thought she would support me during the performance, now I think she'll be needing a stretcher, too!

DaveF

Hope to see a few of you in the Queen's afterwards, although if this one affects me as much as some other great Proms from past years (Bernstein's Mahler 5, Abbado's Beethoven 9) I may be scarcely coherent.  Just been reminding myself of the last movement in Schmidt's performance - phew.

Certainly impressed by your commitment, Cilgwyn - for me it'll be streaming it from iPlayer into a freebie sound recorder in glorious 128k sound, and hoping that a repeat is broadcast (I'm sure the BBC's fees to performers used to include one repeat), when I will try to grab it in 320k.

DF
"All the world is birthday cake" - George Harrison

J.Z. Herrenberg

It is I, Herrenberg (for people who don't know me personally)...

J.Z. Herrenberg

Martyn Brabbins on The Gothic. Start the iPlayer. It starts around 1 hour 9 minutes.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b006tp0c

[There is music by a Finnish composer 'interrupting' the interview, which continues with HB at 1:14:35]

Mirror Image

Quote from: J. Z. Herrenberg on July 14, 2011, 10:55:37 AMI'm doing nothing but listen to The Gothic at the moment. It will be an almost unreal experience, sitting there in the Albert Hall. My (twin) sister is coming, too. I let her listen to the stupendous build-up and climax of the Vivace and the overwhelming cataclysm of the Judex. She just sat shaking her head, cursed, then burst out laughing - the music is so extraordinarily powerful. I thought she would support me during the performance, now I think she'll be needing a stretcher, too!

This is great to read, Johan. It's always a wonderful thing to share music with someone else and for your sister to have the reaction to Brian's Gothic is a testament to the power of this music. It may be a lesser-heard work, but I think, hopefully, after tonight, it will ignite some interest in this composer.

vandermolen

Quote from: Brian on July 14, 2011, 01:02:50 AM
Should we perhaps have a separate thread to coordinate any relevant meet-ups, pub gatherings, etc.?

I read the MusicWeb article last night and thought, "Requiem? Really?" Alas, that's a poor mistake to make. :(

I mentioned the mistake to Rob (Te Deum not Requiem) and he will correct it. Generally I think that he writes excellent reviews - and does lots of them so I guess that the occasional mistake is inevitable.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

vandermolen

Assuming I get into the Gothic Prom I intend to go to the pub afterwards - I shall just set my satnav to 'group of nutters' and hope to meet as many of you as possible. I will recognise Johan, whom I have had the great pleasure of meeting. Seriously, it would be very nice to see anyone from this forum on Sunday.  If I can't get in I will let Johan know - we've arranged to have a loud mobile phone conversation during one of the quieter passages in the Te Deum  8)
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

J.Z. Herrenberg

I always enjoy Rob Barnett's reviews, so I won't think he's structurally stupid...

You'll be certain to see Colin (Dundonnell), we happen to be sitting side by side, he flanked by his nephew and I by my sister! He can't escape.

vandermolen

Quote from: J. Z. Herrenberg on July 14, 2011, 10:37:54 PM
I always enjoy Rob Barnett's reviews, so I won't think he's structurally stupid...

You'll be certain to see Colin (Dundonnell), we happen to be sitting side by side, he flanked by his nephew and I by my sister! He can't escape.

I'll take my binoculars - yes, will be nice to see Colin too.  All going well I'll be with my brother.