Main Menu

Headphones

Started by Bonehelm, June 10, 2007, 02:50:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

71 dB

Quote from: Mookalafalas on December 08, 2023, 02:41:39 AMFor fans of Amir over at Audio Science Review, these look amazing. "High End" doesn't have to equal big bucks, at least with IEMs. These are $22, and the specs are amazing.
   I've been using a similar $50 pair he recommended a few months ago, and they've become my go-to headphones on my mini rig in my home-corner. 

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/7hz-salnotes-zero-iem-review.50226/

I ordered these from German Amazon. They were more than $22. I paid 30.21 euros. Free shipping thanks to this being part of an order of over 99 euros. I should get these within 2 weeks.
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

71 dB

Quote from: 71 dB on June 07, 2024, 08:19:57 AMI ordered these from German Amazon. They were more than $22. I paid 30.21 euros. Free shipping thanks to this being part of an order of over 99 euros. I should get these within 2 weeks.

So I got the 7Hz Salnote Zeros today. Early comments:

The cable is not marked for L and R as far as I can see. I connected it the wrong way on first try.

When I inserted the IEMs into my ears, the result was very annoying feel of pressure + bassy rumble. I suppose this is typical for IEMs, but I am not used to it as a user of over ear headphones.

The sound is peculiar, very weird mixture of good and bad. The soundstage feels amazingly good (something I did not expect at all from IEMs). The sound feels bassy and thin at the same time.

I need to try these with my portable player outdoor. That's what these are for. I have used Sennheider PX200 headphones, which are great, but have one fault: if it is windy (as it almost always is!), the wind hits the headphone and the noise of wind gets conducted to the ear at loud level masking the music! I was curious if this type of IEM could prevent that from happening?

These are very early impression after maybe 10 minutes of testing. After that my ears felt so uncomfortable I took the IEMs off.

Mookalafalas

Not a very positive first experience! I am using mine as I type. I feel nothing but positive. I absolutely forget they are in my ears (so tiny and light). Maybe you should try a different set of ear tips? (there are several sizes included, right?).
It's all good...

DavidW

I recently bought the Apple AirPods Max. I'm surprised by how good the sound quality is. I think the bass is a little too one note thumpy, but it doesn't muddy the mids. Surprisingly deep sound stage. Has enough volume to play even the most demanding Mahler symphony with authority. Obviously the soundstage does not have the width of open air cans, but that is fine. Overall the sound is neutral and detailed.

Noise cancellation is excellent but not on par with the gold standard: Sony. But it works very well for my use case.

71 dB

Quote from: Mookalafalas on June 14, 2024, 02:23:55 AMNot a very positive first experience! I am using mine as I type. I feel nothing but positive. I absolutely forget they are in my ears (so tiny and light). Maybe you should try a different set of ear tips? (there are several sizes included, right?).

Oh, I didn't realise those tips are different sizes. They look so identical. I need to try them out. My biggest problem is the feel of pressure in ears and when I walk, it is like T-Rex walking! THUMP THUMP THUMP...

EDIT: I changed the default red tips to light blue ones and I think they feel better. There's also light pink (almost white) tips that may work well but I have to try them out...

There is no real user manual with this product. Only some warranty crap and specs in Chinese!

Holden

Quote from: 71 dB on June 19, 2024, 12:57:43 PMOh, I didn't realise those tips are different sizes. They look so identical. I need to try them out. My biggest problem is the feel of pressure in ears and when I walk, it is like T-Rex walking! THUMP THUMP THUMP...

EDIT: I changed the default red tips to light blue ones and I think they feel better. There's also light pink (almost white) tips that may work well but I have to try them out...

There is no real user manual with this product. Only some warranty crap and specs in Chinese!

The correct tip size combined with correct insertion will solve those problems. What is strange is moving while not being able to hear anything at all from the outside world. These are perfect for air travel and will also block out the noise of the ubiquitous crying baby you seem to get on every flight nowadays.
Cheers

Holden

AnotherSpin

Quote from: Holden on June 19, 2024, 01:31:34 PMThe correct tip size combined with correct insertion will solve those problems. What is strange is moving while not being able to hear anything at all from the outside world. These are perfect for air travel and will also block out the noise of the ubiquitous crying baby you seem to get on every flight nowadays.

I walk around in headphones on the street quite regularly. Our system of perceiving the world around us is quite complex and involves not our ears only, we can adapt to every possible scenario quite quickly. Blind or lame people walk down the street, why can't we do it with headphones? :)

71 dB

Quote from: Holden on June 19, 2024, 01:31:34 PMThe correct tip size combined with correct insertion will solve those problems.

Yet there is zero* instructions about these things. I need to figure it all out myself and these are my first IEMs. I am not experienced or knowledgeable about this subject.

* Maybe that's why the product is named 7Hz Salnotes Zero?

Holden

Quote from: 71 dB on June 20, 2024, 12:16:51 AMYet there is zero* instructions about these things. I need to figure it all out myself and these are my first IEMs. I am not experienced or knowledgeable about this subject.

* Maybe that's why the product is named 7Hz Salnotes Zero?

Ignoring the wires down the back of the shirt (first clip) this guy shows you that by lifting the top of your ear it makes insertion easier. You can pull down on the earlobe instead for the same result.

Avoid inserting too deeply at the beginning. Once they are in try twisting and turning them until you hear solid well defined bass. This shows that they have sealed. If you feel too much pressure in your ears then pull the iems out very slightly while still retaining that solid deep bass. It's a bit fiddly at the start but once perfected the sound is well worth it.

These might help

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bGis_WGRhBs

or, as these are similar in body size to your Crinacles

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4WiGd-qcaYs
Cheers

Holden

71 dB

Quote from: Holden on June 20, 2024, 03:39:16 PMIgnoring the wires down the back of the shirt (first clip) this guy shows you that by lifting the top of your ear it makes insertion easier. You can pull down on the earlobe instead for the same result.

Avoid inserting too deeply at the beginning. Once they are in try twisting and turning them until you hear solid well defined bass. This shows that they have sealed. If you feel too much pressure in your ears then pull the iems out very slightly while still retaining that solid deep bass. It's a bit fiddly at the start but once perfected the sound is well worth it.

These might help

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bGis_WGRhBs

or, as these are similar in body size to your Crinacles

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4WiGd-qcaYs

Wow, I didn't know there is this much to wearing IEMs!  ??? There's so many tricks to learn!

Thanks!

drogulus

I only like big closed back headphones that look technical.

I have considered getting an upgrade for my Bluetooth Sony MX3s I use for late night listening to cat videos and JWST news about early galaxies. Do I really need them? The MX5s are out and I reckon they are an improvement. I don't know if it's worth it.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:126.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/126.0

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:109.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/115.0

Valentino

For cat videos? Of course they are.
We audiophiles don't really like music, but we sure love the sound it makes;
Audio-Technica | Bokrand | Thorens | Cambridge Audio | Logitech | Yamaha | Topping | MiniDSP | Hypex | ICEpower | Mundorf | SEAS | Beyma

steve ridgway

Thanks for all the useful information, particularly the discussion of impedance 8) . I read all the way through plus some reviews and bought the Beyerdynamic DT 900 Pro X to go with my new Astell & Kern SR35 media player. I just wanted a good quality pair appropriate to the device. I don't have any comparison experience but am happy with the clarity, detail and comfort so don't intend to pursue the subject any further.

DavidW

Quote from: steve ridgway on July 01, 2024, 06:23:25 AMThanks for all the useful information, particularly the discussion of impedance 8) . I read all the way through plus some reviews and bought the Beyerdynamic DT 900 Pro X to go with my new Astell & Kern SR35 media player. I just wanted a good quality pair appropriate to the device. I don't have any comparison experience but am happy with the clarity, detail and comfort so don't intend to pursue the subject any further.

Oh cool, if that is the successor to the 990 pros... I loved those things!  I currently have the 1990s, which are great.  Probably the best sounding headphones I have.  Unfortunately for them the Sennheiser 660s2 sounds just slightly worse, while being way more comfortable.

If you haven't owned Beyers before, just beware that they have a treble spike.  I'm old enough that I'm not terribly sensitive to that spike, I'm more sensitive to those upper mids like some Sennheiser headphones push.

drogulus

I love my 770 Pro 'phones. They sound great, are pretty comfortable and are perfect for detecting the propellers of enemy destroyers.

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:126.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/126.0

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:109.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/115.0

steve ridgway

Quote from: DavidW on July 01, 2024, 08:42:59 AMIf you haven't owned Beyers before, just beware that they have a treble spike.  I'm old enough that I'm not terribly sensitive to that spike, I'm more sensitive to those upper mids like some Sennheiser headphones push.

That was my reasoning too, and I could always use the 20 band EQ if it came to it. Also that these are 48 ohm headphones so I wouldn't need a separate amp - mid volume in the normal power range of my player is fine.

Bachtoven

I recently posted about my wonderful new Schitt Audio Lyr headphone amp:

and out of curiosity, I tried my Audeze LCD-XC headphones, which I had put away about a year ago because of their weight and lack of comfort compared to my Sennheiser HD800S and Focal Stellia--wow! They sound richer and weightier than either of those. Once I've had them on for a few minutes, I'm not that aware of any discomfort.