7 Favorite Stanley Kubrick Films

Started by Brahmsian, July 29, 2011, 01:55:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chose up to 7 of your favorite Stanley Kubrick films.

Day of the Fight (1950)
The Seafarers (1951)
Fear and Desire (1953)
Killer's Kiss (1955)
The Killing (1956)
Paths of Glory (1957)
Spartacus (1960)
Lolita (1962)
Dr. Strangelove (1964)
2001: A Space Odyssey (1968)
A Clockwork Orange (1971)
Barry Lyndon (1975)
The Shining (1980)
Full Metal Jacket (1987)
Eyes Wide Shut (1999)

Brahmsian

For Stanley Kubrick fans.  Those who don't like Kubrick's films just can't vote on the poll, but they are more than welcome to dump a turd in the thread if they so desire.   ;D

Brahmsian

My seven favorites in chronological order of release are:

Spartacus
Dr. Strangelove
2001:  A Space Odyssey
A Clockwork Orange
Barry Lyndon
The Shining
Eyes Wide Shut

AllegroVivace

Kubrick was a perfectionist. All of his movies are fun to watch. But I think "2001: A Space Odyssey" is his masterpiece.
Richard

Brahmsian

Quote from: AllegroVivace on July 29, 2011, 04:44:30 PM
Kubrick was a perfectionist. All of his movies are fun to watch. But I think "2001: A Space Odyssey" is his masterpiece.

I cannot argue about 2001:  A Space Odyssey.  It is truly a remarkable film.

I would also consider A Clockwork Orange, Barry Lyndon, The Shining, Eyes Wide Shut and Dr. Strangelove masterpieces, or very near masterpieces.

All of his films are so, so different from one another, yet the constant thing was:  You knew it was a Stanley Kubrick film.  No one else could have made these films.

Todd

It will be interesting to see if anyone like Killer's Kiss, because it's a bad movie, Kubrick or no.

Really, for me his six movie stretch from Dr Strangelove through Full Metal Jacket is about as good a streak of great films as I can think of.  I don't think I can pick a favorite. 

While all of his movies were different in terms of genre, etc, there were certain film making traits that remained constant, like his love of wide angle lenses and perfectly controlled movement (no jerky handheld crap!), and there is a detachment to all of them that I enjoy a lot.  I suppose this might be the coldness, the clinical nature of his movies that some don't like.  And there is blackest humor as well.  The last written frame of Barry Lyndon comes to mind.  And what a great movie that is.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

DavidW

My absolute favorite is The Shining.

My other favorites are Full Metal Jacket, Spartacus, Lolita, A Clockwork Orange, Dr. Strangelove, and Barry Lyndon.

2001 is not one of my favorites, I can appreciate why it is critically praised, but for me I need more of a story.

I like everything that Kubrick has done, but Eyes Wide Shut is probably my least favorite.  Well I should take it back, I have not seen any of his films prior to Paths of Glory.  I might find fault with those early ones too if I ever got around to watching them.

Brahmsian

Quote from: Todd on July 29, 2011, 05:32:36 PM
The last written frame of Barry Lyndon comes to mind.  And what a great movie that is.

Todd, I'm often tempted to say that this may actually be Kubrick's true masterpiece, above all the others.

I know I'm probably in the minority here, as Barry Lyndon is not the "popular" choice, even amongst his fans.  Even though I know what happens in the "duel" scene between Barry and Lord Bullion, it still gives me chills every time I watch it.  ;D

David - 2001: A Space Odyssey is mind-blowing, as far as I'm concerned.  I love the use of silence in this film, and of course, his use of music.

Brahmsian

I think there are very few people who are so-so on liking Kubrick's films.   It seems they either love his films like crazy, or really really hate them!

My problem is always deciding which of his films I should watch.  I seem to want to watch 5 of them at the same time!   :D

Brahmsian

As far as Full Metal Jacket goes - I felt it could have ended at the end of the boot camp.  That first half of the film was as brilliant as anything he ever wrote.  I have to admit the 2nd half of the film was very "Meh..." for me.  :-\

Todd

Quote from: ChamberNut on July 29, 2011, 05:45:03 PMTodd, I'm often tempted to say that this may actually be Kubrick's true masterpiece, above all the others.

I don't think I could put up a good argument against such a claim.  I hesitated seeing it for a long time, being put off by Ryan O'Neal, but when I finally saw it I thought it silly to have waited so long.  Kubrick takes full advantage of O'Neal's less than perfect acting ability.  The imagery is of course stunning, looking like a painting so much of the time.  The duel is fine indeed, but the one scene that sticks out for me is the highwayman scene.  The perspective Kubrick used, the dialog of the robber, the poses, everything.  So purposefully fake yet really so perfect.  There's bitter irony and condescension in perfect harmony in that scene.  I think I need to get it on Blu-Ray to enjoy again.

Todd

Quote from: ChamberNut on July 29, 2011, 05:49:52 PMThat first half of the film was as brilliant as anything he ever wrote.  I have to admit the 2nd half of the film was very "Meh..." for me.

I used to think that way, but I appreciate the war portion more with the passage of time.  The absurdity of war and how it is portrayed needed an absurd presentation.  Compare it to more "serious" war films and its value is clear.

AllegroVivace

Quote from: ChamberNut on July 29, 2011, 04:49:13 PM
All of his films are so, so different from one another, yet the constant thing was:  You knew it was a Stanley Kubrick film.  No one else could have made these films.

Yes. Another feature in his movies is the lack of in-your-face moral or intellectual judgements, conclusions... He gives you food for thought and leaves the thinking to you. Being totally fed up with all the feel-good or the-good-always wins flicks, the lack of artists like Kubrick is striking today.   
Richard

Brahmsian

I have a "spoiler" alert moment in The Shining.  Something I've already shared with DavidW awhile back.

I'm not going to say what it is, but after seeing The Shining for about the 20th time, I finally picked up on it.  It floored me and shocked me for about one minute - and then I remembered - oh yes....Stanley Kubrick made this film - of course!

I'm sure many others have noticed it too, but it is a subtle detail that could be easily undetected.  Anyways, if you are curious as to what I'm talking about - maybe it's time for you to rewatch The Shining.

This is one of those very rare occasions where I thought the film was countless times better than the novel.  Yes, I know Stephen King hated it, as Kubrick strayed away from the novel quite a bit.

Well.....go watch the made for TV movie of The Shining, made years later, starring Steve Weber and Rebecca De Mornay.  You will see a much better representation to Stephen King's novel.   However, it is nowhere near as powerful, chilling and stirring as Kubrick's vision.  In fact, I thought it was a downright awful movie, to be honest.   :-[

Brahmsian

Quote from: Todd on July 29, 2011, 05:55:32 PM

I used to think that way, but I appreciate the war portion more with the passage of time.  The absurdity of war and how it is portrayed needed an absurd presentation.  Compare it to more "serious" war films and its value is clear.

Todd, I thank you for pointing this out to me.  I think it is time for me to revisit it then.

Brahmsian

For Kubrick fans - a question:

Which film of his to you think made the best use out of music and sound?  I think that is very hard one to answer.  Well, it is for me.  :)

Todd

Quote from: ChamberNut on July 29, 2011, 06:21:19 PMWhich film of his to you think made the best use out of music and sound?  I think that is very hard one to answer.  Well, it is for me.

Either A Clockwork Orange or Eyes Wide Shut.  My wife still comments when I play Ligeti's solo piece today.

Rinaldo

Quote from: AllegroVivace on July 29, 2011, 05:59:03 PM
the lack of artists like Kubrick is striking today.

There have never been many "Kubricks" out there, moviemakers indulging in grand projects & striking for absolute perfection. The only one still active is Malick and unlike Kubrick (whom I perceive as nearly flawless), his stuff is far from perfect.

I'd vote for 2001 and Lyndon as Kubrick's absolute masterpieces. Saw both on blu-ray recently and those movies are beyond gorgeous. A Clockwork Orange doesn't appeal to me thematically and I never understood the rave surrounding The Shining.

Then again, I liked Eyes Wide Shut a lot, which most people seem to despise. Reverse taste, I guess.

DavidW

Quote from: ChamberNut on July 29, 2011, 06:21:19 PM
For Kubrick fans - a question:

Which film of his to you think made the best use out of music and sound?  I think that is very hard one to answer.  Well, it is for me.  :)

I think 2001, it had a wide variety of music that was each appropriate for the scene in which it was used.

Brahmsian

Quote from: Todd on July 29, 2011, 06:29:48 PM

Eyes Wide Shut.  My wife still comments when I play Ligeti's solo piece today.

I saw this one Todd, when it came out in the theatre, shortly after Kubrick's death.  Wow, the use of Ligeti's solo piece was so incredibly chilling.  :)

Szykneij

These are my top 7, which happen to be the only ones I've seen. I'll have to watch the others to see how they compare.

A Clockwork Orange (1971)
2001: A Space Odyssey (1968)
Eyes Wide Shut (1999)
The Shining (1980)
Dr. Strangelove (1964)
Spartacus (1960)
Full Metal Jacket (1987)

(The use of music in "Eyes Wide Shut" is outstanding -- one of my favorite soundtracks. I find the Jocelyn Pook compositions equally as affective as the Ligeti.)
Men profess to be lovers of music, but for the most part they give no evidence in their opinions and lives that they have heard it.  ~ Henry David Thoreau

Don't pray when it rains if you don't pray when the sun shines. ~ Satchel Paige