Gramophone Magazine records of the year 2012

Started by listener, September 28, 2012, 12:31:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

listener

for those who like to be reassured, or just reminded of some other titles out there:
http://www.gramophone.co.uk/awards/2012
"Keep your hand on the throttle and your eye on the rail as you walk through life's pathway."

mahler10th

Thank you for that.  Wow, I did not know Bĕlohlávek's recent Martinu cycle was so highly thought of.  All this needs further investigation, and a further investigation into Gramaphone Mags subscription process...Thanks for the post, lots of interesting stuff.

Opus106

Regards,
Navneeth

Mirror Image

Good to see the Martinu cycle get some praise. I still haven't listened to it yet and I've owned it for months! Time to change this.

some guy

Contemporary: Rautavaara Percussion Concerto. Cello Concerto No 2

:P :o >:( :P :o >:( :P :o >:( :P :o >:(

And so forth.

:-*

The Six

Archaic Torso of Apollo

formerly VELIMIR (before that, Spitvalve)

"Who knows not strict counterpoint, lives and dies an ignoramus" - CPE Bach

Mirror Image

Quote from: Velimir on September 28, 2012, 11:34:08 AM
Yes! I'm a big fan of that set.

Would you say it's the best Maritnu cycle available? My current favorites are Thomson and Neumann.

Archaic Torso of Apollo

Quote from: Mirror Image on September 28, 2012, 11:51:28 AM
Would you say it's the best Maritnu cycle available? My current favorites are Thomson and Neumann.

Can't say if it's "best" necessarily, but certainly interesting because it's an opposite approach to Neumann's - it stresses the more percussive and modernistic aspects of the music and also reveals more detail than Neumann (the very clear sound helps). Plus the added energy of a live recording.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Velimir on September 28, 2012, 12:12:19 PM
Can't say if it's "best" necessarily, but certainly interesting because it's an opposite approach to Neumann's - it stresses the more percussive and modernistic aspects of the music and also reveals more detail than Neumann (the very clear sound helps). Plus the added energy of a live recording.

Sounds like I've got some listening to do. ;) :D

Archaic Torso of Apollo

Quote from: Mirror Image on September 28, 2012, 12:18:47 PM
Sounds like I've got some listening to do. ;) :D

Have fun  :) I would summarize by saying that Neumann presents Martinu as a descendant of Dvorak, while Belohlavek plays him as a contemporary of Stravinsky.

DavidW

Quote from: Velimir on September 28, 2012, 02:01:50 PM
Have fun  :) I would summarize by saying that Neumann presents Martinu as a descendant of Dvorak, while Belohlavek plays him as a contemporary of Stravinsky.

That sounds interesting!  Good thing I read this thread (I don't care what Gramophone thinks).