Benjamin Britten

Started by Boris_G, July 12, 2007, 10:14:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mirror Image

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on November 24, 2013, 05:01:11 AM
Both Bostridge recordings are good. I've always enjoyed Anthony Rolfe Johnson (Chandos) and Phillip Langridge (Naxos) in Serenade.

I'll have to check out both of these, Greg. I might have that Naxos recording. Will have to double check. That Chandos one looks very tempting.

Mirror Image

Quote from: The new erato on November 24, 2013, 06:21:28 AM
Fortunately there are many good recordings of the wonderful Serenade. Of recent issues I like this:

[asin]B006H99HIE[/asin]

coupled with the wonderful Finzi.

I find it interesting to compare Brittens setting of the Dirge to Stravinsky's.

Nice, Erato. This one looks good, too. :)

DaveF

This one:

[asin]B000069DPK[/asin]

- as much for David Pyatt's playing as Ainsley's singing.  Great disc throughout - and the subject of a curious one-star review on Amazon.co.uk - I'm guessing the customer thought "One" meant "Best".

DF
"All the world is birthday cake" - George Harrison

Mirror Image

For those interested:

http://www.youtube.com/v/HHxMzDMSLwg

Needless to say, after watching this documentary, I want to hear Death In Venice as soon as I can and re-listen to Phaedra for that matter. 8)

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: Mirror Image on November 24, 2013, 08:54:54 PM
For those interested:

Needless to say, after watching this documentary, I want to hear Death In Venice as soon as I can and re-listen to Phaedra for that matter. 8)

Death in Venice is Britten's best opera (IMO). Followed by Midsummer Night's Dream (also IMO).  ;D

Mirror Image

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on November 25, 2013, 01:22:10 AM
Death in Venice is Britten's best opera (IMO). Followed by Midsummer Night's Dream (also IMO).  ;D

What little I've heard from Death in Venice sounded absolutely stunning. Will have to listen to Midsummer Night's Dream as well. Where does Peter Grimes, The Turn of the Screw, and The Rape of Lucretia figure in on your list of favorites, Greg?

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: Mirror Image on November 25, 2013, 05:33:04 AM
What little I've heard from Death in Venice sounded absolutely stunning. Will have to listen to Midsummer Night's Dream as well. Where does Peter Grimes, The Turn of the Screw, and The Rape of Lucretia figure in on your list of favorites, Greg?

Just recently been getting into Lucretia, which is amazing. The new recording with Knussen conducting is a must have for Britten fans...

[asin]B00A3NVB4S[/asin]

...sorry at work, will write more later.

Mirror Image

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on November 25, 2013, 06:39:16 AM
Just recently been getting into Lucretia, which is amazing. The new recording with Knussen conducting is a must have for Britten fans...

[asin]B00A3NVB4S[/asin]

...sorry at work, will write more later.

That recording received some good press and Knussen would be just the man to conduct Britten.

Mirror Image

Some Britten recordings I'm considering for next year:

North Star

And I need recordings of the operas missing from the EMI 37 CD box - Death in Venice, Rape of Lucretia and Billy Budd.
So I'll either get this Decca complete operas box or individual recordings - any opinions?
[asin]B00FE1UMY4[/asin]
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

mahler10th

Quote from: Mirror Image on November 24, 2013, 08:54:54 PM
For those interested:

Great John.  That saved me looking for it!  I think I'll watch it again.  Thanks for the post.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Scots John on November 25, 2013, 08:47:09 AM
Great John.  That saved me looking for it!  I think I'll watch it again.  Thanks for the post.

You're welcome, John. :)

North Star

Quote from: Scots John on November 25, 2013, 08:47:09 AM
Yes, this is definitely worth watching, some good excerpts from Death in Venice, a work I've yet to hear.

My photographs on Flickr

Mirror Image

Quote from: North Star on November 25, 2013, 09:19:55 AM
Yes, this is definitely worth watching, some good excerpts from Death in Venice, a work I've yet to hear.

+1

North Star

The 1966 television recording of Billy Budd
Peter Pears
Peter Glossop
Michael Langdon
John Shirley-Quirk
Bryan Drake
David Kelly
Kenneth MacDonald et al.

Ambrosian Opera Chorus
Charles Mackerras & LSO

http://www.youtube.com/v/A1lVBfqQyjs

My photographs on Flickr

Mirror Image

As pointed out by a commentator on this Britten documentary, the last movement of Death in Venice is absolutely divine. I was going to listen to Peter Grimes first, but have decided that Death in Venice cannot wait, I will be listening to it tonight.

Here's a question for all of you Brittenites, what would you say are the main characteristics of Britten's sound-world? I know he was quite a chameleon stylistically, but what were the dominant kinds of techniques he used in his music?

kyjo

Britten is a strange situation for me. I consider his VC, Sinfonia da requiem and Four Sea Interludes from Peter Grimes to be among the greatest works of the 20th century and find them very moving and compelling. But, aside from the Frank Bridge Variations, Young Person's Guide, Simple Symphony, and Young Apollo little else by Britten moves me. I find much of his music, especially the later works, to be rather "cold". I can't get into his operas at all. I've read opinions from various sources that "Britten was the greatest English composer since Purcell", with which I strongly disagree. I hold the music of Vaughan Williams, Elgar, Walton, Rubbra, Arnold, Bantock, Bate, Arnell, Parry, and Alwyn all in higher regard than the majority of Britten.

Mirror Image

BTW, I agree with the opinion that Britten was the greatest British composer since Purcell. I love RVW and Elgar, but Britten is just in a different class all by himself.

kyjo

Quote from: Mirror Image on November 25, 2013, 11:33:15 AM
BTW, I agree with the opinion that Britten was the greatest British composer since Purcell. I love RVW and Elgar, but Britten is just in a different class all by himself.

You love Britten more than RVW?! ??? I'm cryin', John. :'( ;)