What are you listening to now?

Started by Dungeon Master, February 15, 2013, 09:13:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The new erato

Quote from: Ken B on March 30, 2014, 08:36:39 AM
When you get to the synphonies I strongly and I mean strongly recommend the Gardiner. This is a HIP performance and it makes a big difference. Some of the string writing in S usually gets too thick, but not here.
Karajan is excellent too, but seek out Gardiner if you can.
I like the Gardiner Schumann set extremely well myself.

Now listening to disc 1 (organ concertos) from this recently arrived box:

[asin]B001PK3M2C[/asin]

Great music and performances.

Moonfish

Bach: Partitas    Schiff

Exquisite! I truly enjoy listening to Bach in the mornings....  For some reason I always tend to return to Schiff even though there are so many other wonderful artists with recordings of Bach on the piano.

[asin] B000KQGOAY[/asin]
"Every time you spend money you are casting a vote for the kind of world you want...."
Anna Lappé

Moonfish

Listening to a new arrival (getting into Hogwood!!!     :))

Purcell:Theatre Music   AAM/Hogwood [Decca]

Kirkby's voice is a delight (as always).

Cd 1 from
[asin] B0001Y4JHA[/asin]
"Every time you spend money you are casting a vote for the kind of world you want...."
Anna Lappé

Mirror Image

Now:

Listening to Symphony No. 9. Really excellent work and performance.

EigenUser

Quote from: Mirror Image on March 30, 2014, 01:17:02 PM
Now:

Haha, your avatar has a shadow that makes it look like RVW has a black eye.  :laugh:
:P

Edit: I think I'll listen to some of his music later today. I love the "Five Variants of Dives and Lazarus" and I need to hear the symphonies again.
Beethoven's Op. 133 -- A fugue so bad that even Beethoven himself called it "Grosse".

Mirror Image

Quote from: EigenUser on March 30, 2014, 01:19:33 PM
Haha, your avatar has a shadow that makes it look like RVW has a black eye.  :laugh:
:P

Edit: I think I'll listen to some of his music later today. I love the "Five Variants of Dives and Lazarus" and I need to hear the symphonies again.

:D

Would be curious to know what RVW recordings you own?

Moonfish

Quote from: Mirror Image on March 30, 2014, 01:17:02 PM
Now:

I just started to like your Saint-Saëns avatar and now you had to go and change it.....    :'( :'(
Anna Lappé

TheGSMoeller

Ok, I'll join in...

Pastoral Symphony...

Ken B

Sweeney Todd's Cello Concerto

[asin]B000058USE[/asin]

Mirror Image

Quote from: Moonfish on March 30, 2014, 01:33:54 PM
I just started to like your Saint-Saëns avatar and now you had to go and change it.....    :'( :'(

You're right! It's too soon to change it! I should leave Camille up there for at least a couple more weeks. :)

North Star

Josquin, Appenzeller, Gombert, and Vinders
Cinquecento
[asin]B008B3P4FO[/asin]
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Mirror Image

Now:

Now listening to Pelleas et Melisande. Everything I said negative about Faure's orchestral music I take it back! Gorgeous.

Mirror Image

Now:

Listening to Symphony No. 1 in E flat, Op. 2. Wow, what a distinguished symphony for such an early work.

Moonfish

Quote from: Mirror Image on March 30, 2014, 03:26:44 PM
Now:

Listening to Symphony No. 1 in E flat, Op. 2. Wow, what a distinguished symphony for such an early work.

How do the Martinon versions compare to other performances of Saint-Saëns' symphonies?
Anna Lappé

ZauberdrachenNr.7

I love Berlioz's Nuits d'été.  A first listen to Eleanor Steber in them and very impressed, despite or perhaps because of, her slow pace.  Eg:  her Villanelle clocks in at 2.50; Janet Baker 2.23; Susan Graham 2.24; Elly Ameling 2.16.  Packaging is nice in this historic issue but no lyrics (not that I really need them anyway). 

[asin]B0000029PH[/asin]

Mirror Image

Quote from: Moonfish on March 30, 2014, 03:39:07 PM
How do the Martinon versions compare to other performances of Saint-Saëns' symphonies?

Honestly, Martinon's set is the only game in town so it seems. There are an inordinate number of Symphony No. 3 'Organ' performances however. Martinon's performances are very fine. There was a newer recording with Marek Janowski conducting Symphony No. 2 released on Pentatone not too long ago, but I haven't heard it.

EigenUser

Quote from: Mirror Image on March 30, 2014, 01:32:49 PM
:D

Would be curious to know what RVW recordings you own?

[asin]B0001IN0F8[/asin]

Last year, a math professor sent me a few YouTube links (he loves RVW and is also an amateur musician) and I heard 5, 6, and 8. No recordings other than the one above, which I got as a reference when I was playing the five variants in orchestra a long time ago. I own very few CDs. Much of my music is from iTunes (which, after seeing some of the collections on here, I am regretting since I love collecting things) or I listen on YouTube. I'd rather purchase the score, given the choice.
Beethoven's Op. 133 -- A fugue so bad that even Beethoven himself called it "Grosse".

Mirror Image

Quote from: EigenUser on March 30, 2014, 03:44:59 PM
[asin]B0001IN0F8[/asin]

Last year, a math professor sent me a few YouTube links (he loves RVW and is also an amateur musician) and I heard 5, 6, and 8. No recordings other than the one above, which I got as a reference when I was playing the five variants in orchestra a long time ago. I own very few CDs. Much of my music is from iTunes (which, after seeing some of the collections on here, I am regretting since I love collecting things) or I listen on YouTube. I'd rather purchase the score, given the choice.

I own that recording but admit that I haven't even listened to it (yet). I've got quite a pile of CDs to listen to, but sometimes I halt listening plans in favor of something that I feel I need to listen to at that time. Like, for example, right now I'm catching up on some Saint-Saens since I do love his music and it's been quite some time since I've devoted any time to it. Anyway, the whole point here is that plans can change in the blink of an eye. :)