What are you listening to now?

Started by Dungeon Master, February 15, 2013, 09:13:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The new erato

Quote from: Brian on June 24, 2016, 12:51:00 PM

But something good has come out of this, which is that I've spent the rest of the afternoon on Alessandro Scarlatti, Vivaldi, and now a composer new to me named Carissimi.
One of the good ones. The earnest devotion of early Roman music has always appealed to me.

Que

Morning listening - return to this new addition:

[asin]B00004YYQ1[/asin]
I like it, but for some reason this early performance (Aug 1999/ Jan 2000) doesn't appeal as much as their "Music for Henry V" of nine years later...

Q

aligreto

Adam: Giselle [von Karajan]....

Music and a performance that is full of charm and character and just overflows with enchanting melodies.

aligreto

Quote from: Que on June 24, 2016, 11:14:35 PM

[asin]B00004YYQ1[/asin]
I like it, but for some reason this early performance (Aug 1999/ Jan 2000) doesn't appeal as much as their "Music for Henry V" of nine years later...

Q

Different personnel in the ensemble perhaps yielding a different blend of voices?

aligreto

Telemann: Concerto in F for Recorder & Bassoon....

Que

Quote from: aligreto on June 24, 2016, 11:51:04 PM
Different personnel in the ensemble perhaps yielding a different blend of voices?

Yes indeed, the altos are now less "hooty"
I also think in approach they must have over the years moved (even) further away from the traditional "smoother" style and are more articulate.

Listening now (of course you saw that one coming!  ;)):

[asin]B00000149P[/asin]
A real pleasure to revisit, impressed by the quality of performances by not only the soloist but also the Drottingholm Ensemble.
Since I got this as a cheap set with vols. 1-3 many years ago, I have branched more in terms of various Baroque composers. I can tell that makes me listen to it with keener ears: some really  nice litlle musical gems here,  with the Fasch concero as the best surprise.

Q

Que

A similar themed disc from my collection:

[asin]B00000J862[/asin]
Pretty!  :)

Aligretto, this disc focuses more on chamber repertoire in Stylus Phantasticus with virtuosic solo parts for the trumpet.
Great performances,  beautifully recorded, strongly recommended....

Q

aligreto

Side two of this vinyl....

Two Fanfares - Interesting, quirky pieces.
Short Ride - Don't you just love the virile energy in this work!
Common Tones - It took me a bit of time to like this but I do now. It is a bit rambling but I enjoy the wayward journey.

aligreto

Quote from: Que on June 25, 2016, 01:39:30 AM

[asin]B00000149P[/asin]

A real pleasure to revisit, impressed by the quality of performances by not only the soloist but also the Drottingholm Ensemble.
Since I got this as a cheap set with vols. 1-3 many years ago, I have branched more in terms of various Baroque composers. I can tell that makes me listen to it with keener ears: some really  nice litlle musical gems here,  with the Fasch concero as the best surprise.

Q

Yes, it is a very fine CD and would be a great introduction to anyone who is not very familiar with this genre.

Quote from: Que on June 25, 2016, 02:45:01 AM
A similar themed disc from my collection:

[asin]B00000J862[/asin]
Pretty!  :)

Aligretto, this disc focuses more on chamber repertoire in Stylus Phantasticus with virtuosic solo parts for the trumpet.
Great performances,  beautifully recorded, strongly recommended....

Q

That looks very interesting Que and will be placed on the List. Thank you for that  :)

NikF

Sauget: Complete Music for Guitar - Baschiera.

[asin]B018LPLA86[/asin]

"You overestimate my power of attraction," he told her. "No, I don't," she replied sharply, "and neither do you".

Que

More Muzio Clementi:

[asin]B008GAXUW6[/asin]
Listening to disc 2 with sonatas published during Clementi's stay in Paris (1780-81) when he was in his late twenties.
Costantino Mastroprimiano plays a fortepiano after Johann Gottfried Silbermann 1749 with an appropriate "silvery" tone....

Q

Karl Henning

Quote from: ChamberNut on June 24, 2016, 09:52:02 AM
Definitely not me. I'm not a fan of Wand's Bruckner.  The one I recommended to you Karl was the 7th by Giulini/Vienna Phil.

I do remember (correctly  8) ) your recommending that Giulini Seventh, mon cher.  Perhaps it was Jens who pointed me to that singleton Wand.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Ken B

Quote from: Pat B on June 24, 2016, 08:43:10 PM
You mean the WDR (Cologne) set, no?

TD: the Schubert Trios Gordo mentioned (Paulik-Istomin-Sofronitsky on Centaur).

Oops, yes I do.

Mirror Image

Quote from: aligreto on June 25, 2016, 02:59:27 AM
Side two of this vinyl....

Two Fanfares - Interesting, quirky pieces.
Short Ride - Don't you just love the virile energy in this work!
Common Tones - It took me a bit of time to like this but I do now. It is a bit rambling but I enjoy the wayward journey.

I'm not fan of American Minimalism a la Reich, Glass, Riley, Young, etc., but there are a few Adams works I enjoy. Harmonielehre and Harmonium are my favorites. I do enjoy The Chairman Dances from Nixon In China quite a bit (dislike Nixon as a whole). Two other works from Adams I thought were pretty good were The Dharma at Big Sur and Naive & Sentimental Music. I also think Lollapalooza and Grand Pianola Music are great fun. He's a terribly uneven composer though and has composed many works where the cheese factor is quite high.

Que

Mandryka

Quote from: Que on June 24, 2016, 11:14:35 PM

[asin]B00004YYQ1[/asin]

Q

This was certainly my initial reaction to the anonymous mass, less so for the Busnois and the Frye. 

Quote from: Que on June 25, 2016, 01:39:30 AM

I also think in approach they must have over the years moved (even) further away from the traditional "smoother" style and are more articulate.

Q

I'm not sure I hear this at all. I think for me it has more to do with the programmes. I'm not sure, to some extent it's irrelevant since I find a lot to enjoy in both, and I'd be hard put to say that I prefer one to the other - except that I very much like Leonal Power( though I like Frye too of course.)

This is the one that I really struggle to enjoy, though I may break through the barrier,  I blamed the music, but maybe I'm wrong. Does anyone know whether it has the Burgundy lineup, or the Henry?

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Harry

For all lovers of Organ music this is in my opinion a must, but alas largely ignored on GMG.

http://walboi.blogspot.nl/2016/06/the-organ-music-at-european-courts.html?spref=tw
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

Harry

The last CD of this day and a worthy close for this somewhat clouded day. One of my favourite choirs.

http://walboi.blogspot.nl/2016/06/musica-vaticana-music-from-vatican.html?spref=tw
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

not edward

There are many better-sounding and better-played recordings of the Double Concerto than this. But I'm not sure there's any that nail the tense, almost claustrophobic nature of the music as Sejna does.

"I don't at all mind actively disliking a piece of contemporary music, but in order to feel happy about it I must consciously understand why I dislike it. Otherwise it remains in my mind as unfinished business."
-- Aaron Copland, The Pleasures of Music