What are you listening to now?

Started by Dungeon Master, February 15, 2013, 09:13:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

San Antone

Quote from: Mandryka on December 04, 2016, 10:00:21 PM

Marcel Pérès does Templar chanting, which makes me think of the last act of Parsifal when the knights start to get a bit shirty because Amfortas won't show them the grail. It is all fabulous this CD, especially the long antiphonal Salve Regina.

This is the kind of repertoire where I think Peres's group succeeds. 

Keep Going

Quote from: sanantonio on December 05, 2016, 02:56:17 AM
Looks good.

Thread duty:

Same recording, Webern String Trio

Cool!

I'll go back and survey the Schoenberg and Webern later on ... right now, the pull of Schnittke is too great.  ;)

cilgwyn

Arrived today! Symphony No 4 at the moment. I haven't heard some of the music on this cd. Judith,for example.

anothername

Leonard Bernstein conducting : Beethoven- Fidelio

Ghost Sonata

A day of Sergei today, beginning with :  (have always loved the piano reduction of R&J, had a friend who played it, more or less, actually more and quite exaggeratedly. We would laugh ourselves silly - good times!)

I like Conor71's "I  like old Music" signature.

aligreto

Der fliegende Hollander: Overture

Harry

Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

HIPster

Morning listening ~

[asin]B01IAC0OKK[/asin]
Wise words from Que:

Never waste a good reason for a purchase....  ;)

Mirror Image

Listening to Estampes from this recording:

anothername

André Previn conducting: Tchaikovsky- Sleeping Beauty .

San Antone

John Cage : Thirteen
Barton Workshop

cilgwyn

I'm standing up. It's God save the Queen (Variations). Actually,I was anyway!! There's no chair here!! :( ;D
This came today. It was cheap! So I added it to the Schuman First Edition cd. Might as well get both!

Mirror Image

Now:

Listening to the 15th and reaching the very end of this astonishing cycle. I've got only one recording of miscellaneous orchestral works to go.

NJ Joe

On my morning power walk I listened to Beethoven 4 & 5, Leibowitz/RPO.

Now:

"Music can inspire love, religious ecstasy, cathartic release, social bonding, and a glimpse of another dimension. A sense that there is another time, another space and another, better universe."
-David Byrne

Mandryka

Quote from: sanantonio on December 05, 2016, 03:00:54 AM
This is the kind of repertoire where I think Peres's group succeeds.

Well I'm even more keen on his Machaut.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Mandryka

Quote from: HIPster on December 04, 2016, 07:15:38 AM
While I really like Peres/Ensemble Organum in the Machaut Mass, the one by Musica Nova is probably my favorite:

[asin]B003ZWPAYQ[/asin]

Kandell certainly stands up to repeated listening, I find what he does very beautiful and I think his tempos add to the expressiveness of the music, whatever his HIP reasons may be for choosing them.

Re the ladies' voices, though I'm not convinced by those (Premont maybe? ) who say the women mess up to the polyphony because, inevitably, the ear is attracted to the high singers more. Maybe, maybe not. It's not obvious to me.

The real reservation I have with it harks back to an idea in Pérès's writings on the mass - that Kandell makes it sound too close to Renaissance music, it isn't alien enough. But even there I'm not sure.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

SurprisedByBeauty

aligreto

Concerto RV 780 for Harpsichord, Strings and Continuo

San Antone