What are you listening to now?

Started by Dungeon Master, February 15, 2013, 09:13:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mirror Image

Quote from: Ken B on March 29, 2014, 08:15:44 PM
Yeah I like that one.

I've enjoyed all of the Dukas I've heard. La Peri is beautiful. I haven't listened to Polyeucte yet, but I'll save it for tomorrow.

Now:

A new acquisition. Listening to Nachstuck from 'Der ferne Klang'. Sounds wonderful so far.

Pat B

Quote from: Que on March 29, 2014, 10:28:24 AM
I used to not be interested in Heifetz and strongly favoured Nathan Milstein instead.

But then I discovered I did like Jascha Heifetz....but pre 50s. I don't know what happened,  but somewhere around the 1950 mark everything changed: his tone, his whole musical personality. Anyway, after that I worked my way through the edition from the early recordings up to 1949, so I'm good and have no need for the big brick recently issued. 8)

I too have a strong preference for his earlier recordings. His later (and more famous) recordings give me the impression that his primary goal was to get out of the studio as quickly as possible. His earlier recordings are way more musical, and listening to them, I can understand why he became such a superstar.

But from that generation, I still prefer Milstein.

Thread duty: Mahler: Symphony 7 (Staatskapelle Berlin,Barenboim).

milk

Quote from: Ken B on March 29, 2014, 08:15:44 PM

Thread duty Morton Feldman, Palais de Mari
ooou, 99c on amazon by Alan Feinberg! Thanks for the recommendation!
[asin]B00DLPJYYE[/asin]
No image but the link works!

Mirror Image

Now:

Listening to Chamber Symphony. Simply marvelous. Took a little break after the sumptuous Nachstuck from 'Der ferne Klang', but have been greatly enjoying these performances.

Octave

WEINACHTS-ORATORIUM, BWV248
Lynne Dawson, Bernhard Landauer, Charles Daniels, Klaus Mertens w/I Barocchisti dri. Diego Fasolis
rec. Dec 2002 - Jan 2003

ASCENSION ORATORIO, BWV11 'Lobet Gott in seinen Reichen'
ICH HABE GENUG, BWV82a
SANCTUS IN D, BWV238
Marjon Strijk, Sytse Buwalda, Knut Schoch, Bas Ramselaar w/Netherlands Bach Collegium dir. Pieter Jan Leusink

TILGE, HOCHSTER, MEINE SUNDEN (PSALM 51), BWV1083 after Pergolesi's Stabat Mater
+ BWV118, 200, 231
Marjon Strijk, Sytse Buwalda, Knut Schoch, Bas Ramselaar w/Netherlands Bach Collegium dir. Pieter Jan Leusink

MAGNIFICAT, BWV243
Mimi Coertse, Margaret Sjostedt, Hilde Rossl-Majdan, Anton Dermota, Frederick Guthrie, Anton Heiller
Vienna State Opera Chorchestra dir. Felix Prohaska

rec. 1957

CHORALES (lots)
Chamber Choir of Europe + soloists of Freiburger Barockorchester dir. Niccol Matt

I had a negative reaction to aspects of the old recording of the Magnificat, mainly the female principals' voices.

Tilge, Höchster, meine Sünden (BWV1083, the Pergolesi reworking) was beautiful; I'm going to need to hear that one again soon.
Help support GMG by purchasing items from Amazon through this link.

Que

Quote from: Pat B on March 29, 2014, 08:55:45 PM
I too have a strong preference for his earlier recordings. His later (and more famous) recordings give me the impression that his primary goal was to get out of the studio as quickly as possible. His earlier recordings are way more musical, and listening to them, I can understand why he became such a superstar.

But from that generation, I still prefer Milstein.

Another Milstein fan! :)

Opening this morning:

Diderik Buxtehude
Complete Organ Works (vol. 3)
Preludes and fugues BuxWV 136, 138, 139, 144
Magnificat primi toni BuxWV 204
Praeambulum BuxWV 158
Passacaglia BuxWV 161
Chorales BuxWV 177, 178, 186, 192, 195, 200, 202, 211, 214, 221

Jean-Charles Ablitzer
Schnitger Historical Organ (1685-1687)
Sankt Martini und Nicolai, Steinkirchen, Niedersachsen, North Germany

Q

Henk

Going to play some Albinoni next. :)
Innocent and guilty. Happy and suffering. Tragedy and comedy. Holy loser.

listener

SUK: A Summer's Tale
Czech Philharmonic   / Pesek
RACHMANINOV ( Rachmaninoff - giving the search engine some lee-way )  Aleko
Bolshoi Theatre soloists, Russian State Choir, Andey Chistiakov, cond.
Scores for both of these were quite reasonably priced, so another listen  so I can shelve the discs and scores properly.
"Keep your hand on the throttle and your eye on the rail as you walk through life's pathway."

Henk

Albinoni - Concerto in C Major, Op.9, No 9 (Naxos)
mov. 3 Allegro (3:24)

Moving piece.

Que

New in. Apparently Carlo Ignazio Monza was so good but so quickly forgotten that his work was passed off as being by Pergolesi...

[asin]B0029SC2V6[/asin]

Q

North Star

Alessandro Melani (1639-1703)
Motets
Rinaldo Alessandrini & Concerto Italiano

[asin]B003GW1OSQ[/asin]
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Henk

Quote from: Que on March 30, 2014, 03:04:05 AM
New in. Apparently Carlo Ignazio Monza was so good but so quickly forgotten that his work was passed off as being by Pergolesi...

[asin]B0029SC2V6[/asin]

Q

Interesting! Will definitely buy that one.

Lisztianwagner

"You cannot expect the Form before the Idea, for they will come into being together." - Arnold Schönberg

Que

Finally breaking in this set! :)

[asin]B004FFBM9O[/asin]

I am reserving my judgement but I can already tell that I do not agree with the qualification of "dry and mechanical" as Kirk McElhearn on Musicwebmusicweb describes it. Having read a few reviews of him before, I think his issue is with the recording and foremost the instrument which he likes to sound strong and "beefy" like the McNulty copy that Brautigam uses. I do not mind the McNulty sound but it does give rise to a false perception of the fortepiano sound in general. The Walter copy by Chris Maerne used here on the 1st disc sounds exceptionally fine to me.

Q

EigenUser

Schumann's "Konzertstuck" for Four Horns!
[asin]B00386FG0M[/asin]
Schumann doesn't seem to be a name that comes up here often. Any opinions on this piece? I love it! Part of my initiative to explore more music.
Beethoven's Op. 133 -- A fugue so bad that even Beethoven himself called it "Grosse".

madaboutmahler

Good afternoon, everyone! Some time for listening finally :)

[asin]B0002RUAFQ[/asin]
First listen to 8th symphony.
I LOVE this. :)

"Music is ... A higher revelation than all Wisdom & Philosophy"
— Ludwig van Beethoven

Que

I quite liked the 1st disc of the Van Oort Mozart set, so on with the 2nd disc with sonatas KV 570, 457 and 576, and Fantasia KV 475. Same instrument as before.

Q

HIPster

Early morning Gesualdo ~
[asin]B00004SCUB[/asin]

A first listen for me. . . 

Very nice!
Wise words from Que:

Never waste a good reason for a purchase....  ;)

EigenUser

Schumann cello concerto.
[asin]B00000140T[/asin]
Beethoven's Op. 133 -- A fugue so bad that even Beethoven himself called it "Grosse".

Mirror Image

Quote from: EigenUser on March 30, 2014, 06:29:24 AM
Schumann cello concerto.
[asin]B00000140T[/asin]

I really enjoy Schumann's Cello Concerto, but this is my performance of choice: