Purchases Today

Started by Dungeon Master, February 24, 2013, 01:39:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mirror Image

ComposerOfAvantGarde

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I would be very interested to know what you think of these! I am not too much of a fan of Vanska's Lahti cycle, but I really enjoy the nos 1,2,4and5 from his Minnesota cycle. I feel there is some kind of more depth in the expression in the latter than the former, but what do you think?

North Star

Quote from: jessop on August 03, 2016, 01:09:46 AM
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I would be very interested to know what you think of these! I am not too much of a fan of Vanska's Lahti cycle, but I really enjoy the nos 1,2,4and5 from his Minnesota cycle. I feel there is some kind of more depth in the expression in the latter than the former, but what do you think?
I don't know if you saw Brian's post from last night:
Quote from: Brian on August 02, 2016, 01:13:05 PM
No. 3: Vanska's tendency to tweak and be deliberately eccentric is most apparent at the very start, where he adds tiny dynamic & rhythmic changes to the main theme (e.g softening the last note of every phrase). It's unnecessary and I'm not a fan, but the rest of the symphony proceeds without oddities, and the orchestra is - as always - a model of clarity and transparency. Some will balk at the slow movement, one of the slowest performances I've heard (10:40; Vanska/Lahti was slower, however). The finale does not exult; it's more "maestoso" than usual instead, which is an interesting alternative.

No. 6: The best thing about this new Vanska cycle, yet, for sure. I mean, Sarge may not love it due to slower tempos in the first two movements, but for whatever reason, Vanska really wakes up bigtime for the finale, and the rest - though not the last word in sheer loveliness - is clear-eyed and well-played. Gotta love how much double bass gets caught by the BIS microphones.

No. 7: Again, Vanska tames in his inner weird (although right at 10:00 there is a bit of string section articulation that seems designed to draw attention to itself, and there's a shuddering tempo change around 10:58). This is a magnificent, moving account of the symphony. The only major detail of orchestral balance that he mismanages is the one everyone mismanages: the violins' D-C descent at 21:42-21:48, right before they ascend to the final C. That four-note arrival at two C's is the resolution to the flute theme at the start, and the trombone solo, but nobody seems to recognize that they are only giving us half of the symphony's resolution.

Overall, the best volume of the series, I'm happy to say. And generous at 82 minutes.

Given how bad BIS's 2015 Kamu Sibelius cycle was, and given how cold and hard-edged an acoustic BIS had in the Lahti cycle, it's nice to welcome this CD despite all the duplications. Not so sure about the Minnesota 1/2/4/5, however.
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

ComposerOfAvantGarde

I didn't see that post actually. Thanks :)

Mirror Image

Quote from: jessop on August 03, 2016, 01:09:46 AM
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I actually prefer Vanska's Lahti cycle (based on hearing his Minnesota recordings of Symphonies Nos. 1, 2, 4, & 5). One reason I prefer them is there is more atmosphere in these readings and more scaled back sound of the Lahti SO also made my ears perk up much more than his Minnesota recordings. The main reason I bought it is to complete my collection of this cycle. I mean the Minnesota cycle isn't horrible or anything, but it seems to lack the magic of that earlier one.

Camphy

After having taken advantage of Presto's BIS sale by purchasing several Holmboe and Martinů recordings, I decided to take the opportunity to get this cycle:

aligreto

Hofmann: Cello Concertos played by Tim Hugh....

Mirror Image

Quote from: Camphy on August 03, 2016, 07:18:41 AM
After having taken advantage of Presto's BIS sale by purchasing several Holmboe and Martinů recordings, I decided to take the opportunity to get this cycle:

Pounds the table! One of my favorite Nielsen cycles. Oramo's take on Nielsen is completely refreshing.

listener

CHAPI: Sinfonia in D...
KOECHLIN:  Works for Chorus and Organ: L'Abbaye op. 16, Trois Sonatines op. 107, 2 Chorals op. 98
and Paul LANSKY: Études and Caprices, Semi-Suite, Ricercare Plus

"Keep your hand on the throttle and your eye on the rail as you walk through life's pathway."

Autumn Leaves

aligreto

Madiel

I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

North Star

From JPC.de's sale.

[asin]B00DJYK784[/asin]
[asin]B0037SQ2MW[/asin]
[asin]B004IWQWP8[/asin]
[asin]B000001S2J[/asin]
[asin]B000BDGBZO[/asin]
[asin]B000LPRHQE[/asin]

My photographs on Flickr

Harry

Quote from: North Star on August 05, 2016, 03:00:27 AM
From JPC.de's sale.

[asin]B00DJYK784[/asin]
[asin]B0037SQ2MW[/asin]
[asin]B004IWQWP8[/asin]
[asin]B000001S2J[/asin]
[asin]B000BDGBZO[/asin]
[asin]B000LPRHQE[/asin]

Good, you saw the message about the Claves recordings! Have fun with them. It doesn't happen that often that Claves is on sale.
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

North Star

Quote from: Harry's corner on August 05, 2016, 03:05:51 AM
Good, you saw the message about the Claves recordings! Have fun with them. It doesn't happen that often that Claves is on sale.
Thanks, yes I did indeed see it. The Cerovsek/Jumppanen is certainly a steal compared to what it usually costs these days. :)

My photographs on Flickr

Karl Henning

Quote from: listener on August 03, 2016, 06:35:26 PM
CHAPI: Sinfonia in D...
KOECHLIN:  Works for Chorus and Organ: L'Abbaye op. 16, Trois Sonatines op. 107, 2 Chorals op. 98
and Paul LANSKY: Études and Caprices, Semi-Suite, Ricercare Plus

Tell me about the Lansky and the Koechlin, please.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Madiel

Quote from: North Star on August 05, 2016, 03:00:27 AM
[asin]B000LPRHQE[/asin]

This, this is magnificent. It was people on this forum that told me it was magnificent, and by golly they were right.

Well, the music-making is magnificent. The packaging is stupid, but if you're going to have to sacrifice one thing it might as well be the packaging.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

North Star

Quote from: orfeo on August 05, 2016, 05:16:12 AM
This, this is magnificent. It was people on this forum that told me it was magnificent, and by golly they were right.

Well, the music-making is magnificent. The packaging is stupid, but if you're going to have to sacrifice one thing it might as well be the packaging.
Hey, I was one of the people telling you it is magnificent.  0:)
And yeah, I've seen the package in person. Signed by both artists, too, after that concert.

My photographs on Flickr

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot