Your Three Favorite Composers

Started by Mirror Image, September 25, 2013, 06:42:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kyjo

Quote from: Mirror Image on September 25, 2013, 07:37:11 PM
I wonder if Kyle will be participating in this thread?

You seriously think I wouldn't? :P I'm a poll maniac! :D

Bogey

Quote from: DavidW on September 26, 2013, 04:25:00 AM

But Chopin isn't Russian! >:D

Got your back, Karl:

Frédéric François Chopin (/ˈʃoʊpæn/; French pronunciation: ​[fʁe.de.ʁik ʃɔ.pɛ̃]; 1 March 1810 – 17 October 1849; born, and known in Poland as, Fryderyk Franciszek Chopin, the surname being pronounced [ˈʂɔpɛn], with alternative, phonetic spelling Szopen) was a Polish composer and virtuoso pianist of the Romantic era. Chopin was born at Żelazowa Wola, a village in the Duchy of Warsaw, then under Russian rule
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

Bogey

For all those throwing Haydn in your top 3 like me,  (or five or so), I wonder if I would have made him one of my three if I did not spend time at this forum.  I mean Gurn's (and others) passion for him has made me take pause and appreciate and enjoy his music at a higher level.
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Daverz

Quote from: Bogey on September 26, 2013, 03:39:53 PM
For all those throwing Haydn in your top 3 like me,  (or five or so), I wonder if I would have made him one of my three if I did not spend time at this forum.  I mean Gurn's (and others) passion for him has made me take pause and appreciate and enjoy his music at a higher level.

Haydn was my #1 before the Internet even existed.  So you kids get off my lawn!

Bogey

Quote from: Daverz on September 26, 2013, 04:28:24 PM
Haydn was my #1 before the Internet even existed.  So you kids get off my lawn!

Post of the year.

mszczuj

Quote from: Bogey on September 26, 2013, 03:37:19 PM
Frédéric François Chopinthen under Russian rule[/b]

There is no possibility to be less Russian than to be Polish under Russian rule.

Rinaldo

Purcell
to represent my love for the old

Busoni
to represent my love for the bold

Langgaard
to represent my love for the f*ck it, i'm an albatross!

Sergeant Rock

Third Three:

Vaughan Williams, Havergal Brian, Mozart

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Christo

Quote from: kyjo on September 26, 2013, 01:42:26 PM
Three excellent composers, Johan! Their music has meant a lot to me since I first discovered it. :)

Whew. I know I won't be taken seriously if don't pay due honour to the Big Names. But at the same times: these are composers I really like, though in fact I don't have a Top 3, but rather a Top 30. And that includes "bigger" names like Beethoven, Tchaikovsky, Dvořák, Bruckner and Mahler. Nevertheless.  ;)
... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Christo on September 28, 2013, 02:04:21 AMBut at the same times: these are composers I really like, though in fact I don't have a Top 3, but rather a Top 30.

As I've said once or twice before, a Top 300 would more accurately define my taste in music.

Sarge

Christo

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on September 28, 2013, 02:13:21 AM
As I've said once or twice before, a Top 300 would more accurately define my taste in music.

Sarge

Why not go ahead and see how far the moderators let you go?  ;D

... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Christo on September 28, 2013, 02:27:21 AM
Why not go ahead and see how far the moderators let you go?  ;D

I don't want to push it so I'll just keep it to a Top 99, i.e., thirty-three sets of threes  8)

Sarge

Bogey

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on September 28, 2013, 01:51:00 AM
Third Three:

Sarge

'Morning, Szellster.  Just curious when Wolfie broke your top 10.  Or has he always been there?

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Bogey on September 28, 2013, 04:41:34 AM
'Morning, Szellster.  Just curious when Wolfie broke your top 10.  Or has he always been there?

Despite growing up near, and often hearing live, one of the greatest Mozart/Haydn bands in the world (Szell and the Cleveland), I came to love the repertoire quite late. I didn't get the music until after I'd read The Classical Style in the late 70s; didn't start seriously collecting recordings of the music until the early 80s. At that time Mozart dominated Haydn. In other words, I was 30 before I fell in love with Mozart. When did Mozart creep into the Top 10? I'm not sure I can answer that. I don't think I ever thought about that kind of list before I joined internet forums. My trinity was revealed by the time I was 22 but I never thought beyond the Top 3. At least I can't recall doing it.

Certainly by 1999 Mozart was Top 10. Haydn came later, eventually pushing Mozart into a lower ring. Haydn is the one composer I knew superficially 40 years ago, and thought little of, who I now consider one of the giants. That appreciation has grown over the last five years.

Sarge

kyjo

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on September 28, 2013, 01:51:00 AM
Third Three:

Sarge

My third three: VW, Ravel, Prokofiev

....and while I'm at it I might as well announce my tenth place: a tie between Debussy and Grieg.

vandermolen

"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

madaboutmahler

First one is easy, of course it's Mahler  0:)

I would used to easily follow that up with Elgar and R.Strauss, but I find it a bit more difficult to do that now.

Tempted to say Ravel, Chopin... and give it a few more weeks, and Schnittke could be there!

But I have to stick to Elgar at least, such a special composer for me, with the symphonies + Gerontius etc. I listen to a lot less Strauss nowadays and even though I love his music a lot, and so many pieces of his are among my favourites, I think I might have to replace his spot with Ravel.

So: Mahler, Elgar, Ravel.

Second list: Chopin, Dvorak, Strauss. (with Schnittke sneaking in :P )
"Music is ... A higher revelation than all Wisdom & Philosophy"
— Ludwig van Beethoven

kyjo

Quote from: madaboutmahler on September 29, 2013, 06:32:27 AM
I listen to a lot less Strauss nowadays and even though I love his music a lot, and so many pieces of his are among my favourites, I think I might have to replace his spot with Ravel.

So: Mahler, Elgar, Ravel.

You've made wise decision, my friend! :) Ravel's music is head-and-shoulders above Strauss' IMO.

Lisztianwagner

Quote from: Lisztianwagner on September 26, 2013, 03:45:06 AM
Wagner, Beethoven and Liszt for me.

Since many have also added a second list:

Mahler, Rachmaninov, Johann Strauss.
"You cannot expect the Form before the Idea, for they will come into being together." - Arnold Schönberg