Previous topic - Next topic

mahler10th

Atterberg, Bruckner, Sibelius

other three for regular cheats:

Tchaikovsky, Richard Strauss, Mahler
:blank:
this kind of thing...

TheGSMoeller

If I look back at the history of my listening career (like I'm getting paid for it) it would have to be R.Strauss, Prokofiev and Britten.
But in the past few years I've certainly been listening to more Haydn, Rameau and Berg. , soooo take your pick...I don't like this thread.  ???  :)

ibanezmonster

Easy. Same as it has been for the last 7 or 8 years.
1. Mahler
2. Prokofiev
3. Brahms

Mirror Image

Sorry, I can't respond to every post but thanks to all for participating!

In related news, I asked my Dad for his top three picks and without hesitation they were: Mahler, Dvorak, and Liszt.

springrite

Quote from: Mirror Image on September 26, 2013, 06:53:05 AM
Sorry, I can't respond to every post but thanks to all for participating!

In related news, I asked my Dad for his top three picks and without hesitation they were: Mahler, Dvorak, and Liszt.

Dad has slightly better taste than son, I'd reckon...
Do what I must do, and let what must happen happen.

Mirror Image

Quote from: DavidW on September 26, 2013, 04:25:00 AM
How does a composer that you half hate make it as your favorite?

I do not hate Schnittke's music anymore. Hate is such a strong word, I remember I actively 'disliked' it, but didn't hate it. Anyway, have you read the Schnittke thread in the past couple of months? I had a major breakthrough with his music and as a result of this he has ended up superseding so many of my other favorites. I found a connection in his music that I haven't felt in another composer's music. This is a connection that isn't superficial or homogenized. It's 100% admiration for what he managed to accomplish despite his ill health.

Mirror Image

Quote from: springrite on September 26, 2013, 06:56:36 AM
Dad has slightly better taste than son, I'd reckon...

No question about it! What I like sucks big time! :D

AnthonyAthletic

Has to be the hardest thread of the Year this one....a bit like a Man going to the Hangman and having his last favourite meal ever...Starter, Main & Desert.

As the words "can not live without" are included then;

Beethoven
Mahler
Vaughan Williams

Hard to dump these gusy...Bach, Bruckner, Brahms, Dvorak, Stravinsky, Shostakovich but one has to!

Just my opinion but good ole Beethoven has everything needed, Mahler has My World stage for the Symphony, and Vaughan Williams is the English equivalent, to me, albeit modernish who's music is so accessable as your choices are to you.

Can't help whom we love  :)

Disclaimer : I could not include or consider Haydn as I am a total novice where his music is concerned...a few masses and the London/Paris symphonies, couple of quartets, cello/vc cons etc.  DRDavies complete box set of symphonies on the way from the USA for £17  :laugh:

I see and hear Haydn is well liked on these boards
:laugh:

"Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying"      (Arthur C. Clarke)

Mirror Image

Quote from: AnthonyAthletic on September 26, 2013, 07:23:03 AM

Can't help whom we love  :)

Wise words and thanks for participating! I never said picking only three was going to be an easy choice, but I'm glad that so many of you have given me straightforward answers so far. Remember NO honorable mentions and NO second guessing. This is your list of three composers that you will take to that desert island because you can't imagine yourself without their music in your life.

SonicMan46

Well, I'll just pick one from the Baroque, Classical, & Romantic Periods:

Bach, Hydzart, & Dvorak;D

Now to go along w/ the Bs and the periods above - Bach, Boccherini, & Brahms - Haydn vs. Mozart - probably Wolfie?  Dave :)

DavidW

Dave hard to stop without Schubert, Brahms and Shostakovich.

mc ukrneal

Quote from: Mirror Image on September 26, 2013, 07:27:40 AM
This is your list of three composers that you will take to that desert island because you can't imagine yourself without their music in your life.
I'm a bit confused. My three favorite composers are probably not the same three I would take to a desert island. So I am not clear on what you want to know.
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

mszczuj

Beethoven, then Bach and then there is really a hard choice Haydn or Mozart, probably Haydn.

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: mc ukrneal on September 26, 2013, 09:16:09 AM
I'm a bit confused. My three favorite composers are probably not the same three I would take to a desert island. So I am not clear on what you want to know.

I'm having second thoughts too  :D  If it's the desert island for life, then I might choose Mozart, Haydn and Bach because their output was so vast. I'd have nearly 2000 works to choose from. If I took Mahler, Bruckner and Wagner I'd be stuck with 75 or so!

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

springrite

Why always "desert" island? Most islands I know are quite pleasant, and some are known as "Virgin" islands. Most deserts seem to be on the continents.

If I were indeed on an desert island, I may decide to trade in my music for something else...  I will simply sing the music myself.
Do what I must do, and let what must happen happen.

kishnevi

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on September 26, 2013, 10:02:20 AM
I'm having second thoughts too  :D  If it's the desert island for life, then I might choose Mozart, Haydn and Bach because their output was so vast. I'd have nearly 2000 works to choose from. If I took Mahler, Bruckner and Wagner I'd be stuck with 75 or so!

Sarge

But what 75 works they would be!

Since I chose Bach, Mozart and Mahler,  I wouldn't face the dilemma you do.

kishnevi

Quote from: springrite on September 26, 2013, 10:08:29 AM
Why always "desert" island? Most islands I know are quite pleasant, and some are known as "Virgin" islands. Most deserts seem to be on the continents.

If I were indeed on an desert island, I may decide to trade in my music for something else...  I will simply sing the music myself.

I think "desert" in this phrase means "not inhabited by people" (as in 'deserted').

The Virgin Islands are more properly dessert islands:  they're a nice after dinner sail away from each other if you want to island hop.

Daverz

Prokofiev, Haydn, and Dvorak will do for today.

kyjo

kyjo

Quote from: Christo on September 26, 2013, 04:28:16 AM
My first choice is still Vaughan Williams, who became a personal favourite in the 1970s, when I was 15. He still is. Second and third choices have differed over time. Today (:-)) they are Tubin and Holmboe.

Three excellent composers, Johan! Their music has meant a lot to me since I first discovered it. :)