Started by TheGSMoeller, March 28, 2014, 05:24:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

North Star

From June 5th, the sunset and weather made for spectacular colours on the water

"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

NikF

Quote from: aligreto on August 03, 2015, 02:11:06 AM

I like this rather a lot. However I'd like it even more if there was a just hair more room on the left between the lip and the border. Please don't take that as a criticism, because I'm not qualified to offer more than my opinion. And having said all of that, I'm intrigued by what detail might be revealed (particularly through the handle) if it was printed. But its a good shot as it stands. Well done, aligreto.
"You overestimate my power of attraction," he told her. "No, I don't," she replied sharply, "and neither do you".

NikF

Quote from: North Star on August 18, 2015, 02:33:48 PM
From June 5th, the sunset and weather made for spectacular colours on the water

Indeed, it does appear so. And in the very top right corner, where there's a distinct lightness/darkness? - I don't know how much of a compositional decision that was in camera or perhaps later during editing, but you really nailed it. In my opinion/for my taste(s) there can sometimes be a sense of almost 'closure' within such details. Good stuff.
"You overestimate my power of attraction," he told her. "No, I don't," she replied sharply, "and neither do you".

North Star

Quote from: NikF on August 20, 2015, 01:30:27 AM
Indeed, it does appear so. And in the very top right corner, where there's a distinct lightness/darkness? - I don't know how much of a compositional decision that was in camera or perhaps later during editing, but you really nailed it. In my opinion/for my taste(s) there can sometimes be a sense of almost 'closure' within such details. Good stuff.
Thanks. That was definitely a compositional decision taken when taking the shot. What with my computer being painfully slow, I'm editing all my RAWs in camera (saves a fair amount of time too). I did clean up a couple of spots from the water, though.

Here the colours are perhaps even more wonky:

My photographs on Flickr

NikF

Quote from: North Star on August 20, 2015, 01:57:28 AM
Thanks. That was definitely a compositional decision taken when taking the shot. What with my computer being painfully slow, I'm editing all my RAWs in camera (saves a fair amount of time too). I did clean up a couple of spots from the water, though.

Here the colours are perhaps even more wonky:

You're welcome.
The difference between those two versions is huge. The latter is something I'd be more inclined to glance over, while the former gives me (much) reason for pause. Perhaps if the second was placed a different context, maybe going as far as being presented before/directly after an image that's in some ways a polar opposite. Sometimes a photo that's less interesting to me as a 'standalone' can take on more importance when it's used to challenge or question another photo (of the same artist's work) that immediately precedes or follows it.

North Star

Quote from: NikF on August 20, 2015, 02:12:33 AM
You're welcome.
The difference between those two versions is huge. The latter is something I'd be more inclined to glance over, while the former gives me (much) reason for pause. Perhaps if the second was placed a different context, maybe going as far as being presented before/directly after an image that's in some ways a polar opposite. Sometimes a photo that's less interesting to me as a 'standalone' can take on more importance when it's used to challenge or question another photo (of the same artist's work) that immediately precedes or follows it.
Yes, I agree that the first one is certainly much better.

My photographs on Flickr

aligreto

Quote from: NikF on August 20, 2015, 01:29:39 AM
I like this rather a lot. However I'd like it even more if there was a just hair more room on the left between the lip and the border. Please don't take that as a criticism, because I'm not qualified to offer more than my opinion. And having said all of that, I'm intrigued by what detail might be revealed (particularly through the handle) if it was printed. But its a good shot as it stands. Well done, aligreto.

Thank you for that. The exposure was a difficult one as I had to contend with two extremes of light and dark and opted for as close to a mid exposure as possible to try to catch some of the detail at both ends. That is never fully satisfactory but I only had one shot in the circumstances.

NikF

Quote from: aligreto on August 20, 2015, 11:25:08 AM
Thank you for that. The exposure was a difficult one as I had to contend with two extremes of light and dark and opted for as close to a mid exposure as possible to try to catch some of the detail at both ends. That is never fully satisfactory but I only had one shot in the circumstances.
You're welcome. You certainly made the most of the compromise that was forced upon you. And that touches on an important point, of how sometimes when circumstances are less than ideal you still need to make the decision that it's time to release the shutter.

Mookalafalas

A lot of terrific stuff in here! Alligreto, I particularly like that architectural series.
It's all good...

aligreto

Quote from: Mookalafalas on August 26, 2015, 11:21:58 PM
A lot of terrific stuff in here! Alligreto, I particularly like that architectural series.

Thank you for that  :)

North Star

My photographs on Flickr

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Mookalafalas

It's all good...

aligreto

North Star

My photographs on Flickr

Mookalafalas

Thanks, guys :)  That's probably my favorite pic from my trip. 
  This one got "explored" on Flickr, but then was "un-explored" for some reason and got booted off. Still, it enjoyed it's 15 minutes of fame :P

Shinjuku park view.jpg by Al Walzem, on Flickr

It's all good...

aligreto

Quote from: Mookalafalas on September 01, 2015, 05:18:28 PM
Thanks, guys :)  That's probably my favorite pic from my trip. 
  This one got "explored" on Flickr, but then was "un-explored" for some reason and got booted off. Still, it enjoyed it's 15 minutes of fame :P

Shinjuku park view.jpg by Al Walzem, on Flickr

Yes, I like that one too.