What TV series are you currently watching?

Started by Wakefield, April 26, 2015, 06:16:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hopefullytrusting

Quote from: George on September 13, 2024, 05:05:33 PMI'll be curious what you think of this. I have not seen it and may check it out if it's good. I thought the male lead was excellent in the Fargo TV series.

I'll definitely let you know. I have high hopes, as I like both the leads, and I also like the premise plus Bruce Campbell - it feels like a can't miss. :-)

hopefullytrusting

Quote from: George on September 13, 2024, 05:05:33 PMI'll be curious what you think of this. I have not seen it and may check it out if it's good. I thought the male lead was excellent in the Fargo TV series.

Okay, this show is charming. I'm smiling pretty much the entire time. It has the exact same feeling as Early Edition except Burn Notice is based in Miami, so there are a lot of women in bikinis, and, at times, it feels gratuitous, and it isn't needed - the three main characters all play off each other well, and espionage in interesting all on its own. :-)

Mandryka

Sherwood, the first series. It's on the BBC iplayer.

It is unbelievably good -- epic and unpredictable. Engages with big themes, human and political and historical.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/p0c725bc/sherwood-series-1-episode-1
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Iota

Quote from: Mandryka on September 15, 2024, 02:01:11 AMSherwood, the first series. It's on the BBC iplayer.

It is unbelievably good -- epic and unpredictable. Engages with big themes, human and political and historical.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/p0c725bc/sherwood-series-1-episode-1

Yes excellent.

I'll actually be finishing series 2 tonight, which while imo not quite as good as 1, is still well worth watching.

DavidW

I started Inspector Morse. It had been so long that I remembered him as an old alcoholic who listened to classical music. Now, I see him as a middle-aged alcoholic who listens to classical music. ;D

I watched the first mystery, The Dead of Jericho, which I also read the novel back in the day. That was eighteen years ago! I only remembered the phone book and the phone book. I forgot everything.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: DavidW on September 15, 2024, 07:12:36 AMI started Inspector Morse. It had been so long that I remembered him as an old alcoholic who listened to classical music. Now, I see him as a middle-aged alcoholic who listens to classical music. ;D

I watched the first mystery, The Dead of Jericho, which I also read the novel back in the day. That was eighteen years ago! I only remembered the phone book and the phone book. I forgot everything.
I loved that series!  I still have a bunch of them (but on VHS alas).  Are you streaming them?  If so, how is the picture quality?

PD

DavidW

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on September 15, 2024, 07:52:44 AMI loved that series!  I still have a bunch of them (but on VHS alas).  Are you streaming them?  If so, how is the picture quality?

PD

PQ is probably as good as it will ever get. It is grainy and soft, probably SD, but good enough that I could watch it without complaint on my 77-inch oled. I would not be able to say the same for VHS!

Irons

Quote from: Irons on September 13, 2024, 07:43:23 AMImpossible to match the freshness of the first series of "Colin" which episode one of series two proved.

Too hasty with my critique. 2nd episode of series two, a joy. Brilliantly acted scene when Gordon tells Ashley he has made an old flame pregnant. A dark moment hilariously funny, especially from Ashley. 
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Todd

The dude who created the massively popular and socially very relevant Tiger King went back to the exotic animal well to make Chimp Crazy.  It's a four episode show examining the exploits of a bunch of crazies who love chimps, albeit in varying ways.  You got the main nut Tonia Haddix (pictured wearing pink, for clarity) and her associates on one side, and the wackos at PETA and Alan Cumming (?!?) on the other side.  Without giving away too many plot secrets, the PETA folks brought in a forensic expert who had worked the killing fields of Bosnia to aid in the investigation of a monkey whodunnit.  I shit you not.  And Alan Cumming, well, he obviously just wanted to make sure he was on the TV.  The show lacks the novelty and personalities of the Netflix bonanza.  The well ran dry.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Pohjolas Daughter

@NumberSix

Ooh!  That first episode of The Prisoner was hard to watch.  The white ball part was weird, but other than that, I found it to be interesting.

PD

Karl Henning

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on September 17, 2024, 11:00:24 AM@NumberSix

Ooh!  That first episode of The Prisoner was hard to watch.  The white ball part was weird, but other than that, I found it to be interesting.

PD
Will you stick with the series, PD? I have a sentimental fondness for the show. 
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Karl Henning on September 17, 2024, 11:13:55 AMWill you stick with the series, PD? I have a sentimental fondness for the show.
I think so.  Will see how it goes.

By the way, what was the car that he was driving?

PD

NumberSix

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on September 17, 2024, 11:00:24 AMThe white ball part was weird

Rover! Creepy, right? ;D

Not every episode has aged well, but the themes about power and conformity and free thought are quite as relevant today as they were 50+ years ago. Maybe moreso. The kind of surveillance tech that the show highlights is certainly more capable and commonplace today.

Karl Henning

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on September 17, 2024, 11:15:08 AMI think so.  Will see how it goes.

PD
A Lotus 7
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

NumberSix

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on September 17, 2024, 11:15:08 AMI think so.  Will see how it goes.

PD

Number Six's sports car is a Lotus 7.
https://www.theunmutual.co.uk/lotus7.htm

ETA: Karl beat me to it!

Karl Henning

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on September 17, 2024, 11:00:24 AMThe white ball part was weird ....

Quote from: NumberSix on September 17, 2024, 11:43:04 AMRover! Creepy, right? ;D
The first idea for the security enforcer/device proved both impractical, and comic in appearance. And then one day McGoohan looked up and happened to see weather balloons.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

NumberSix

Quote from: Karl Henning on September 17, 2024, 11:48:23 AMThe first idea for the security enforcer/device proved both impractical, and comic in appearance. And then one day McGoohan looked up and happened to see weather balloons.

The face being suffocated by the balloon is my earliest memory of the show, and it's never left my brain.

Add that sound effect, and what should be kinda silly -- a dude running away from a giant balloon - is terrifying.

George

"It is a curious fact that people are never so trivial as when they take themselves seriously." –Oscar Wilde

VonStupp

The Rockford Files (1974-1980)
James Garner, Noah Beery Jr., Joe Santos

I have really enjoyed catching up with this series again. I'm only able to watch an episode here and there, maybe one before work or one before bed, but each one of them is dynamite.

I consider it one of those older series I'm sorry I waited so long to revisit.
VS

"All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff."

Pohjolas Daughter

Enjoyed the first two episodes of The Prisoner.

Still hate those white balls though!

PD