What are you listening 2 now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, September 23, 2019, 05:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pierocioff, Papy Oli and 9 Guests are viewing this topic.

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: Roasted Swan on May 25, 2024, 02:32:00 PMI love the E flat quartet.  The Maggini's on Naxos strike me as more impressive than the Vanbrugh though....

Agreed on the Maggini. That ensemble has excelled in that repertoire.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Symphonic Addict

Long time I hadn't heard this glory of Russian choral writing.

Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

brewski

Schnittke: Faust Cantata (1983) (USSR Ministry of Culture SO, soloists, Valery Polyansky, live recording 1989).

Wow, an arresting piece and performance, and the video is an evocative snapshot from the time period.

-Bruce
"I set down a beautiful chord on paper—and suddenly it rusts."
—Alfred Schnittke (1934-1998)

Symphonic Addict

Grieg: Old Norwegian Romance with Variations, op. 51

I must confess that it sounded more like anything by Berwald than by Grieg. Anyway, a rather interesting work.

Noam Chomsky

Linz

Bruckner Symphony No. 8 in C Minor, 1887/90 Mixed Versions. Ed. Robert Haas, Wiener Philharmoniker, Pierre Boulez   

JBS

Symphony 2 and the two Overtures

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Mirror Image

Now playing Weinberg's Symphony No. 5 in in F minor, Op. 76 with Kondrashin leading the Moscow Philharmonic on the defunct Russian Disc label:

@vandermolen sent me this disc many years ago and I had only previously heard it through a Chandos recording (forget the conductor and orchestra), but this account from Kondrashin is more to my own taste.
"You cannot set art off in a corner and hope for it to have vitality, reality, and substance." ― Charles Ives

Mirror Image

Last work for the night:

Debussy
La Damoiselle élue
Melody Louledjian, soprano
Emanuela Pascu, mezzo-soprano
Orchestre Philharmonique de Radio France, Maîtrise de Radio France, Chœur de Radio France
Mikko Franck

"You cannot set art off in a corner and hope for it to have vitality, reality, and substance." ― Charles Ives

steve ridgway

Messiaen: Éclairs Sur L'Au-delà...

AnotherSpin

Maestro267

Quote from: DavidW on May 25, 2024, 09:29:54 AMI listened to one of Simpson's string quartets recently and he started off with something that sounded very classical and then his variations upon it quickly took it off of Earth and off towards like Neptune! :laugh:

This must be referring to the 9th. It sounded very classical because it was literally the palindromic Minuet from Haydn's 47th Symphony.

vandermolen

Quote from: Mirror Image on May 25, 2024, 07:21:39 PMNow playing Weinberg's Symphony No. 5 in in F minor, Op. 76 with Kondrashin leading the Moscow Philharmonic on the defunct Russian Disc label:

@vandermolen sent me this disc many years ago and I had only previously heard it through a Chandos recording (forget the conductor and orchestra), but this account from Kondrashin is more to my own taste.
It's the best of several recordings John. It was reissued on Melodiya some years ago.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

vandermolen

Quote from: Irons on May 25, 2024, 12:29:03 AMGood to know, Jeffrey. The 12th is the only one I have yet to listen from set. I thought 11th excellent.
Amazingly I heard No.11 in concert (with GL conducting).
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

vandermolen

Parsadanian 1st Symphony - 'In Memory of the 26 Commissars of Baku' It's rather derivative of Shostakovich (especially the 8th Symphony) but I still really like it:

Mandryka

Quatetto di Cremona, Art of Fugue, Wigmore Hall now. Couldn't get out of bed this morning, still feeling rough but proud of myself that I didn't miss it. If it's crap I'll leave early. It's full, much to my surprise - youngish too -  AoF is evidently in fashion.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Todd

The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Roasted Swan

Quote from: JBS on May 25, 2024, 06:17:39 PMSymphony 2 and the two Overtures

I'd passingly assumed the cover image was a portrait of Louise Farrenc but evidently not;

so I have no idea why this image was chosen......

Harry

Quote from: Roasted Swan on May 26, 2024, 05:38:56 AMI'd passingly assumed the cover image was a portrait of Louise Farrenc but evidently not;

so I have no idea why this image was chosen......

The image of the cover art is just a modern interpretation of her. :)
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

Mirror Image

Quote from: vandermolen on May 26, 2024, 02:03:41 AMIt's the best of several recordings John. It was reissued on Melodiya some years ago.

Yeah, I own the remastered issue of it as well. The remaster sounds much better, but I won't lie and say that I love the rawer quality of the Russian Disc issue.