What are you listening 2 now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, September 23, 2019, 05:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Selig and 20 Guests are viewing this topic.

Lisztianwagner

Richard Strauss
Eine Alpensinfonie

Herbert von Karajan & Berliner Philharmoniker

"You cannot expect the Form before the Idea, for they will come into being together." - Arnold Schönberg

ritter

Quote from: Iota on May 27, 2024, 09:20:21 AM

Debussy: Danse Sacrée et Danse Profane
Lisa Wellbaum (harp)
Cleveland Orchestra, Boulez

Utterly gorgeous, both music and performance. The way Debussy conjures alchemy from simplicity is mesmerising.
Indeed. For me the few bars of transition between the sacrée and profane dances, where the harp sounds like dripping water but the music seems no to be going anywhere —before the theme of the second dance is stated in all its glory—  is pure magic! A personal favourite of mine.

So, inevitably, listening to this the Danses, sacrée et profane from this disc:

Alice Chalifoux (harp), Cleveland Orchestra, Pierre Boulez (cond.). Same orchestra and conductor as @Irons was listening to in this work, but I'm listening to the first recording from 1969 (which is the one I first got to know the music some 40 years ago).

EDIT: Since I'm at it, I'll also listen to Rondes de printemps from the same disc.  ;)

Mirror Image

NP:

Brahms
String Sextet No. 1 in B flat major, Op. 18
Tabea Zimmermann, Jean-Guihen Queyras
Belcea Quartet

"You cannot set art off in a corner and hope for it to have vitality, reality, and substance." ― Charles Ives

Todd

The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

ritter

And since I pulled out the big Boulez box, listening to Ravel's Trois poèmes de Stéphane Mallarmé (with a superb Jill Gomez) and Chansons madécasses (with an equally superb Jessye Norman). From this wonderful disc:

"Nommez-nous ... toi de qui tant de ris framboisés
Se joignent en troupeau d'agneaux apprivoisés...
"

It's soooo good!

ritter

And my last work for this evening: Elliott Carter's A Mirror on Which to Dwell. Susan Davenny-Wyner, Speculum Musicae, Richard Fitz (cond.).

From this disc:

Mirror Image

Quote from: ritter on May 27, 2024, 10:53:35 AMAnd since I pulled out the big Boulez box, listening to Ravel's Trois poèmes de Stéphane Mallarmé (with a superb Jill Gomez) and Chansons madécasses (with an equally superb Jessye Norman). From this wonderful disc:

"Nommez-nous ... toi de qui tant de ris framboisés
Se joignent en troupeau d'agneaux apprivoisés...
"

It's soooo good!

A fine disc, indeed. 8)
"You cannot set art off in a corner and hope for it to have vitality, reality, and substance." ― Charles Ives

Mirror Image

NP:

Bartók
String Quartet No. 6, Sz 114, BB 119
Tátrai Quartet

From this OOP set -

Linz

Bruckner Symphony No. 4 in 1880 (aka 1878/80) - Ed. Robert Haas, Osaka Philharmonic Orchestra, Takashi Asahina

Iota

Quote from: ritter on May 27, 2024, 10:34:45 AMIndeed. For me the few bars of transition between the sacrée and profane dances, where the harp sounds like dripping water but the music seems no to be going anywhere —before the theme of the second dance is stated in all its glory—  is pure magic! A personal favourite of mine.

So, inevitably, listening to this the Danses, sacrée et profane from this disc:

Alice Chalifoux (harp), Cleveland Orchestra, Pierre Boulez (cond.). Same orchestra and conductor as @Irons was listening to in this work, but I'm listening to the first recording from 1969 (which is the one I first got to know the music some 40 years ago).

EDIT: Since I'm at it, I'll also listen to Rondes de printemps from the same disc.  ;)

Nice to find a kindred enthusiast for the piece!  I'll give that Chalifoux recording, which I don't know, a listen sometime.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Iota on May 27, 2024, 11:37:29 AMNice to find a kindred enthusiast for the piece!  I'll give that Chalifoux recording, which I don't know, a listen sometime.

For the record, I love this Debussy work as well. ;)

Iota

Quote from: Mirror Image on May 27, 2024, 11:38:58 AMFor the record, I love this Debussy work as well. ;)

Great, well that makes three of us at least, and I wouldn't be surprised if there are others!  ;) 

Good to see you again!

SonicMan46

Bach, JS - Keyboard Concertos today on harpsichord and piano on the recordings shown below - in the Bach Works Catalogue (BWV, linked below), there are over 1100 works, with a dozen+ listed as keyboard concertos - the 7 for solo keyboard are triplicated in my collection, i.e. 2 performed on harpsichord and one on piano (reviews attached for the curious) - again there are so many alternate historic and more recent recordings but I'm happy with this amount. Any comments of others' favorites would be of interest.  Dave :)

QuoteBach-Werke-Verzeichnis (BWV;'Bach works catalogue') is a catalogue of compositions by Johann Sebastian Bach; first published in 1950, edited by Wolfgang Schmieder. The second edition appeared in 1990. An abbreviated version of that second edition, known as BWV2a, was published in 1998. The catalogue groups compositions by genre. Even within a genre, compositions are not necessarily collated chronologically. (Source)
QuoteHarpischord Concertos listed in Bach Works Catalogue, also BWV (Source)
BWV 1052 – Concerto for harpsichord and strings in D minor:
BWV 1052.1 (previously 1052a) – early version
BWV 1052.2 (previously 1052) – revised version
BWV 1053 – Concerto for harpsichord and strings in E major
BWV 1054 – Concerto for harpsichord and strings in D major (after BWV 1042)
BWV 1055 – Concerto for harpsichord and strings in A major
BWV 1056 – Concerto for harpsichord and strings in F minor
BWV 1057 – Concerto for harpsichord, 2 recorders and strings in F major (after BWV 1049)
BWV 1058 – Concerto for harpsichord and strings in G minor (after BWV 1041)
BWV 1059 – Concerto for harpsichord in D minor (incomplete, after BWV 35/1)
BWV 1060 – Concerto for 2 harpsichords and strings in C minor
BWV 1061 – Concerto for 2 harpsichords in C major:
BWV 1061.1 (previously 1061a) – early version, without orchestral accompaniment
BWV 1061.2 (previously 1061) – later version, with string orchestra accompaniment
BWV 1062 – Concerto for 2 harpsichords and strings in C minor (after BWV 1043)
BWV 1063 – Concerto for 3 harpsichords and strings in D minor
BWV 1064 – Concerto for 3 harpsichords and strings in C major
BWV 1065 – Concerto for 4 harpsichords and strings in A minor, after Vivaldi's Concerto, Op. 3 No. 10 (RV 580)

Mirror Image

Quote from: Iota on May 27, 2024, 11:56:02 AMGreat, well that makes three of us at least, and I wouldn't be surprised if there are others!  ;) 

Good to see you again!

Nice to see you, too! 8)

Mirror Image

NP:

Saint-Saëns
Cello Concerto No. 2 in D minor, Op. 119
Steven Isserlis, cello
NDR Sinfonieorchester
Christoph Eschenbach

From this OOP recording -

Lisztianwagner

Alexander Zemlinsky
String Quartets No. 2 & 3

LaSalle Quartet

"You cannot expect the Form before the Idea, for they will come into being together." - Arnold Schönberg

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: Mirror Image on May 26, 2024, 08:15:56 PMThat is a fine disc. I should revisit it. Nykken, for me, is a masterpiece of symphonic tone-painting.

Most of works I've heard by him have been remarkable, including the Hardanger Tunes Suites.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: vandermolen on May 27, 2024, 03:28:08 AMI've never got on well with Bowen's music but I must try again.

I can understand why some people are not keen on Bowen's style. His music seems traditional in a sort of way, but I've detected that in many works there are unexpected twists and inventive use of harmony, just like some good melodic material. I reckon his chamber music reveals much better how an accomplished composer he was. I haven't heard any of his solo piano music yet, so it should be interesting too.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Linz

George Bizet Symphony in C major, Jeux d'enfants Op. 22 Petite Suite, Concertgebouw Orchestra Amsterdam, Bernard Haitink
Camille Saint-Saëns Symphony No. 3 in C minor, Op. 78 'Organ Symphony' Jean Giullou, organ, San Francisco Symphony Orchestra, Edo de Waart

Todd

The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya