What are you listening 2 now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, September 23, 2019, 05:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Karl Henning

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on June 18, 2024, 10:57:35 AMDallapiccola: Canti di liberazione, for chorus and orchestra

Great Hartmann pcs, too!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Mirror Image

NP:

Honegger
String Quartet No. 2, H. 103
Quatuor Ludwig

From this OOP set -

@Spotted Horses mentioned these Quatuor Ludwig performances of Honegger's SQs weren't anything too special compared with the earlier performances from the Erato Quartet. Well, I own that recording, too and I'm going to have to disagree with him there. I find these Quatuor Ludwig performances more dynamic and emotional.
"You cannot set art off in a corner and hope for it to have vitality, reality, and substance." ― Charles Ives

Iota

Tippett: Piano Concerto

A piece that feels by turns strangely-proportioned, free-roaming, thematically rich in connection and shot through with radiant outbursts of beauty and endless invention. What wonders Tippett spun. Excellent from all involved.

ritter

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on June 18, 2024, 10:57:35 AMDallapiccola: Canti di liberazione, for chorus and orchestra

One of my favourite pieces by Dallapiccola. AFAIK, this is the only recording the work has received. Metzmacher is excellent in this  repertoire (I saw him conduct Il Prigioniero live at the Teatro Real here in Madrid several years ago, and he was great.

TD:

More Elliot Carter chez ritter this evening.

Michael Gielen conducts the Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra in the Piano Concerto (with Ursula Oppens as soloist) and the Variations for Orchestra.

Linz

Bruckner Symphony No. 1 in C Minor, 1877 Linz version with revisions - Ed. Leopold Nowak, Berliner Philharmoniker, Seiji Ozawa

brewski

Watching Mendelssohn's String Quartet No. 4 with the Elias String Quartet, new to me, and they are superb.

-Bruce
"I set down a beautiful chord on paper—and suddenly it rusts."
—Alfred Schnittke (1934-1998)

Mirror Image

NP:

Martinů
The Butterfly That Stamped
Prague SO, Kühn Female Choir
Bělohlávek

From this OOP recording -

"You cannot set art off in a corner and hope for it to have vitality, reality, and substance." ― Charles Ives

SonicMan46

Beethoven Wind Music for the afternoon with the recordings below; believe I have at least 3 versions of the Piano Quintet but in the Mozart section of my collection -  :D    Dave

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: Karl Henning on June 18, 2024, 11:00:57 AMGreat Hartmann pcs, too!

I don't know them yet and I imagine they're interesting. I've been able to dig his music most of the time.

Quote from: ritter on June 18, 2024, 11:10:37 AMOne of my favourite pieces by Dallapiccola. AFAIK, this is the only recording the work has received. Metzmacher is excellent in this  repertoire (I saw him conduct Il Prigioniero live at the Teatro Real here in Madrid several years ago, and he was great.

There is this recording, but not sure if it is on CD too:

Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: Iota on June 18, 2024, 11:10:18 AM

Tippett: Piano Concerto

A piece that feels by turns strangely-proportioned, free-roaming, thematically rich in connection and shot through with radiant outbursts of beauty and endless invention. What wonders Tippett spun. Excellent from all involved.

A real beauty. There's no any other concerto like this one. It's got a special lyricism that bewitches with ease.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: Mirror Image on June 18, 2024, 11:21:44 AMNP:

Martinů
The Butterfly That Stamped
Prague SO, Kühn Female Choir
Bělohlávek

From this OOP recording -

Pounds the table! I missed that phrase.  ;)

Noam Chomsky

Lisztianwagner

Good call for Dallapiccola:

Luigi Dallapiccola
Volo di Notte

Leon Botstein & American Symphony Orchestra

"You cannot expect the Form before the Idea, for they will come into being together." - Arnold Schönberg

ritter

And now, Hindemith conducts Hindemith (Berlin Philharmonic). Symphonic Dances and The Four Temperaments (with Hans Otte at the piano).

Spotted Horses

Quote from: ritter on June 18, 2024, 12:16:37 PMAnd now, Hindemith conducts Hindemith (Berlin Philharmonic). Symphonic Dances and The Four Temperaments (with Hans Otte at the piano).

Hindemith was a great conductor of his own music.
There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

Daverz

Linz

Johann Sebastian Bach Organ Works Vol. 08, Gerhard Weinberger (Orgel der Martinikerk Groningen)

Karl Henning

Quote from: ritter on June 18, 2024, 12:16:37 PMAnd now, Hindemith conducts Hindemith (Berlin Philharmonic). Symphonic Dances and The Four Temperaments (with Hans Otte at the piano).

Love that little box!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Great recording and nice (mono) recording sound!

Symphonic Addict

Wolf: String Quartet in D minor

A symphonic quartet with plenty of great moments and ideas. The slow movement is redolent of Beethoven's one from his String Quartet No. 15, although less transcendent.

Noam Chomsky

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: ritter on June 18, 2024, 11:10:37 AMMore Elliot Carter chez ritter this evening.

Michael Gielen conducts the Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra in the Piano Concerto (with Ursula Oppens as soloist) and the Variations for Orchestra.

Great cover art!